First whitetail

Discussion in 'Grip and Grins' started by Pistolkitty, Nov 18, 2018.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

2. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

Great work!
    Your first deer teaches you that pullin the trigger is the easiest part of taking a deer.
    Once it's on the ground, the real work starts.;)

Pistolkitty likes this.

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

4. I think you are no longer @Pistolkitty.
    I think "Huntress extraordinaire" or "Kitty the Hunter" is more apropos.

ekim and Pistolkitty like this.
  5. Congrats! :cheers:

Pistolkitty likes this.
  6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Typical kitty. First chance they have to kill something, they take it. Surprised you didn't play with it first then leave it on the doorstep.

moona11, yworrydog, SWAGA and 2 others like this.
  7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Well...technically kittens that kill become.....cougars :D

[​IMG]

moona11, ekim, histed and 2 others like this.
  8. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Congratulations !!

Looked cold there!

9. Pistolkitty

Pistolkitty Supporting Member

Very cold in the a.m. and p.m.!!! But during the day highs in the low 40s. And dry and sunny. Actually kind of shitty weather for hunting late season. The bucks are just barely getting rutty. Plenty of points during the day trekking the woods where I was hot and sweaty, but by evening I was freezing my booty off!

Rufus Nathaniel REDD likes this.
  10. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Wear more booty cover the next time. :D

11. Pistolkitty

Old outlaw, I had lots of layers! It's a fine line between layering up enough to stay warm and not so much that you can't move freely. Especially with all the shit you bring hanging off of you, lol

histed and Rufus Nathaniel REDD like this.
  12. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Yep. Over the decades I have learned to travel light. Most of the so called "recommended" gear I leave behind. During the day I usually take off some outer layering to stay cooler. Then add back for evening hunt.

But, our deer season starts the first weekend of December here. Usual temps are a high of 40 if lucky. Usually more like 20 or even lower.

Rerun likes this.
  13. Pistolkitty

We were in the 20s first few hours, 40 by mid day, back to 20s by 3:30-4:00. And sunny. It was unusual. Usually we are more snowy and icy and overcast by now. Better for trekking the woods quietly and better for the rut. Although the few bucks we saw were getting stupid anyway, which was good for us.

14. Well done!

Sent from my VS501 using Hi-Point Forum mobile app

15. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

Cold weather tips;
    Although it may be a PIA, when I hunted way up north, it was a hike to get where you needed to be. Carry small back pack along with your fanny pack. Take off at least one of your layers and into the pack. New fresh set of dry socks gets put on, replacing sweaty socks when you get where your going. Yep it sucks to expose your piggies to the nasty cold but you will be happy soon. Wait at least 5 minutes before you put that layer you took off, back on.
    Now you will be warm and ready.
    Many times in the cold climates, the person who can sit the longest, wins. The one who can sit the longest is the one who stays warmest. IF you have been there, you know. That time when you HAVE to get up and get moving to get warm again. When those folks who cannot stay put get up and start moving around, they move deer.

Pistolkitty and Rerun like this.
  16. ichthyo

ichthyo Lifetime Supporter

Excellent! Way to go. That buck looks heavy.

Pistolkitty likes this.
  17. So, will your Thanksgiving menu have fresh turkey? Or venison? Or both?

18. Pistolkitty

No, the turkey got butchered and is in my freezer right now- I'll probably turn it into turkey sausage. That reminds me, I still need to borax the wings and tails I saved.

Deer still hanging. It's cold enough out right now that it can hang for a few days and temderize before I butcher it. I'll either do that Wednesday night or Friday morning.

adam01364 and Rerun like this.
  19. Pistolkitty

I didn't weigh it, so it'll be interesting to see how much meat I get off it. I'm guessing 60 lbs give or take.

20. Pistolkitty

I've got to deal with the head too sooner than later. Going to european it. Thought about cape mounting it because he's so damn big and pretty, but I'd never hear the end of it if I spent the money on that.
    Hubby was a big man-baby about me even going at all and whined to my best friend the whole time I was gone- like she's not going to tell me about that, lol. He seems to be under the impression that it's now 'out of my system', lol, but he's got another thing coming. Next year I'm putting in for special tags too and also getting an elk tag!