Fishing Passion#3 "Schooled on the Teach"

Discussion in 'The Tackle Box' started by beaglenc, Nov 22, 2016.

1. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

"Mommicked (Southern/Queen's English for 'put through the ringer' or in a sentence-- My lord honey, ain't I been mommicked this here day--specifically from the Harker's Island area of North Carolina)

“Teach” was up on blocks “Down East” in a little fishing village called Marshalburg. Down East in NC is only one place, despite what some news outlets may tell you. Once you went over the bridge to Harkers Island, you were Down East. This was a very rough neck of the woods and even the county Sherriff’s Dept did not go down that way after dark unless there was a call. WW would pick me up in the mornings, some mornings, and tote me to the marina where the Teach was and I would get to work. I was wiring the boat for new electric “Bandit” reels, (more on that later), lights, and all associated electrical needs of a “Bottom and Trap Boat”. He would leave me there and go do whatever WW did when he wasn’t shakin hands with every person under the sun within shoutin distance. This was a fishing marina so there was always some down on their luck fellow fisherman wandering about looking for some other like-minded soul to commiserate with. My first day, loordy, I had a visit from every fella in “Wanchese Walkers”, (stained white rubber, one size to big, fishin boots), in that marina. None stayed too long after some brief conversation. WW came back about “Down East” lunchtime, after 2pm, and let me know that he thought I should call it a day and tote me back to my boat. I insisted that I really could continue on and work till dark but he said,” I really need to get you outta here for now”. With a puzzled look I got into the grey beat up Benz and as we were going out the gate there were all my new friends gathered together and I waved and smiled in the new knowledge that I had had a somewhat productive day at work, made new friends and my life was “turnin the corner”!
    No one waved back? Matter of fact, I thought I could detect a “stink eye” or 2 in the crowd!?
    WW looked at me as I stared back in my confusion and said….”They think yer a narc, and someone called me and it’s a good thing I got here when I did as they were fixin to all come down a talk to you a bit and they already started drinkin.” Now, back then I enjoyed a good “talk” as much as anyone, but I knew that the numbers were not on my side and I was thinking I wouldn’t a been able to get in one word no how with that crowd. What in the world?!?! Am I going to be able to come back? I needed that money! WW assured me that it would take a couple of days but he good get it smoothed over but that he had talked to a “Grouper/Snapper Boat” Captain over in Morehead city that needed some electrical work done on his boat and if it worked out, I might be able to get in on a trip or 2. This Captain was the “Highliner”, (the best), of the fleet down there and I would make real cash money if he accepted me on board for work. By golly, things were looking up again!
    “Uh, umm, WW? How come you don’t think I’m a narc?” It was a fair question. I mean, it seemed the whole damned general population of the area thought I was some sorta Serpico, super secret squirrel drug bustin lone ranger fella sent to clean up the coast of NC, so’s I thought it was a damned good question. WW looked at me and just shook his head and said, “Look at yerself! Ya got a buzzcut, yer a damned yankee, you cannot even understand what I’m tellin ya half the time! Now I don’t even think that up north they got folks stupid enough to think that you’re the guy that should be sent Down East to make new friends and clean up the village! Nope. Know why yer workin on my boat and not any of that crowd? Because they cannot be trusted. They would rob me blind and it would be my own fault. Nope, you ain’t no narc. Now, I ‘ain’t made my mind up yet if ya just got no common sense, are really desperate, or just aren’t afraid of nothing, but nope, you ‘ain’t no narc”. He smiled, chuckled and mumbled something I couldn’t understand. “What?”, I said..”Ain’ you been mommicked today?”
    “Now let’s head on over to see Captain G over there in Morehead and see if we can’t find you some more work.”
    Things were looking up again.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    IMO, momlicked is great, as long as it's someone else's mom :rofl:

This is much better than m00nzie's "As HPFF Turns" by a LONGSHOT! ;)

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Problem is, everyone from Skeeter Island to Beufort claims down east status. Walkers, gogo boots, wedding slippers, bedroom slippers. I've heard them called some of the funniest things ever.

I still use the word mommicked, and nobody knows what it means but me.

4. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Down East is the area around the Pamlico, but if you had to tie it down to a specific area it would be Ocracoke. The Down East Brogue, and the Ocracoke Brogue are the same. I understand from the English and Irish settlers there. Supposedly it held on for so long because of the separation from the mainland. Sadly, it's not near as prevalent today as in my youth. It's a dying language. The influx of tourists and retirees has pretty much wiped it out. I'm trying to remember if I have ever heard a young one speak such, I think not.

One thing I have noticed, the people of the tidewater region of Virginia have a similar dialect.

The Down East folk are also known as "Hoi Toiders" (hope I spelled that right) because you are supposed to be able to identify natives by how they pronounce "high tide"

And just to kill the suspense, mommick is to bother or worry. Another of my favorites is quamish. It means queasy, a common occurrence on the boats there! (sorry Rachgier if I gave away a secret!)

5. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Nah. That's one thing I loved about that area of NC. Nobody can agree on who's a what until an outsider tries to tell them. I personally heard it pronounced squamish, mix of squeamish and queasy.

And I agree on the brogue. My construction company partner married a Harker's Island girl and her grandparents, Duncan and Sophie, were amazing to listen to for both the stories and the accents. When I left, Duncan was in his 80's and still gill netting, by hand, by himself, from his john boat. Like he had been for 70 years. There was a lot of mystery about where his people came from, and he had his own theory.

6. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

You just mad that you never get a starring role