Fix for JHP mag drop while firing

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by NorthGeorgiaRidgeRunner, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Pardon me for posting this if it has been done and I haven't found it on the forum. At the range today, I had the magazine disengage from the catch while firing ( a couple or three times.) When I came home I thought there has to be something I can do. With the right and left grip panels off, I removed the metal catch from its post and popped the head of the release from the left side. To get the metal part that engages the cutout on the mag body to go in a little deeper I took the narrow end of the plastic post that holds the catch button and the catch itself and careful cut the portion of post next to the narrow end to make the narrow end longer ( and therefore the catch to ride deeper against the mag body catch cutout.) After reassembly, the magazine is held more securely. I can't pull it out by hand and prying with a screwdriver (not too hard) between the mag well and base plate of the mag doesn't dislodge it. If it works the next time I'm at the range, I'll update accordingly.

Just thought I'd get this out there in case anyone else needs to tighten up their mag release. Thanks, and hope this is helpful.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The usual reason for mag drops on the HP is the high hand grip used by the IPSC type shooters, on an HP your thumb will rub/hit the release.

But it sounds like regardless of the reasons, you have a possible fix there. Let us know how it goes!:)

3. When you posted about thumbs, I checked and mine aren't long enough to hit the release from a firing grip (and I thought my hands were fairly large.) It is something to watch out for, though. BTW, the 45 is very accurate for a general purposes pistol. Still loving Hi-Points and fighting the urge to buy more.

4. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

It was my thumb doing it under recoil. I had to teach myself a new grip for my left hand.

5. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

6. Yes, when you write, "You will soon possess a carbine," you are right. For home defense, the 9 seems the best balance of ballistics and cost to run. Just waiting for Sportsman's Guide or Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore to put out a price I can't resist. The C9 and the JHP must have company.

7. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I haven't checked here lately but $237 shipped....just out of stock! Looks like the San Bernadino or every ones Christmas money went to Kentucky!

https://www.kygunco.com/category.cfm/keenes/hi-point-rifles

8. Update: Took the JHP to the range and, yes, this fix fixed the mag release. Also, tried out the Laserlyte. Good product. Won't bore you with details, but it is worth getting.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Nicely done!

Got pics for the verbally challenged?:confused:

10. Since you asked, I took pictures. Now I have to get them out of the damned camera onto the Internet. This thing has a manual (online) longer than any three automobile owner's manuals I've ever seen. Meanwhile, look at Ed Nutter's vision of the grips off a JHP at
    http://www.ednutter.ws/files//8/535CF045B24D3063E040A8C0AC007347/HiPointPistolArmorerGuide.pdf
    on page 97. The release button pops off and that's what you see lying to the left of the gun in the first shot. The metal catch is shown in the second pic. There's a plastic rod that goes through the little hole in the metal piece and shoves onto the release button on the other side. If the thinner part of that rod won't let the catch go into the magwell far enough, a mag will drop while firing. Carefully cut material to make the part that shoves onto the metal piece longer, so the catch goes in deeper and it grips the mag better. Yes, I will try to get my pics here, without violating Forum standards for size, when I can. Thanks.