Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been loading the 30-30 Winchester with the Hornady 150 grain Spire Point bullet and H335 powder for years. It has been a favorite in my Handi Rifle. I used a load found in an old loading manual, it’s a load you will not find in todays manuals. It gave me over 2500 fps. For my lever gun, I loaded the Hornady 170 grain flat point with a load of 3031 powder. It yielded me about 1900 fps out of the trapper style 16" barrel.

Some years ago I switched to Leverevolution Powder. It gave me an honest 2500 fps using loads found in todays modern oading manuals. I am thinking of loading the Hornady 160 FTX. According to the manuals, it should give me about 2350 fps out of my Handi Rifle and about 2150 fps out of the Trapper style carbine. It would have another advantage at the loading bench. The tapered base would make for easier inserting into the sized case. It would eliminate the step of belling the case a step I find necessary to keep from mucking up the neck of the occasional reload. The design of the 30-30 case is over 100 years old. It’s a thin case that requires care when loading.

Another cartridge that I have been loading for a long time in the 22 Hornet. My go to load was H4198 and I could almost get the magic 2400 fps with that load using the Hornady 45 Grain Spire Point. When Lil’Gun powder became available I started using it, and velocities over 2700 fps became the norm.

T bought a half box (51 bullets) of Hornady 40 grain XTP’s. They did good out of my rifle, and the boat tail case again eliminated the flairing of the case mouth. The 22 Hornet is another old case design. But the velocity is less than 100 fps faster than the 45 grain loads. Thinking of maybe trying the 50 grain XTP. Lil’Gun seems to prefer heavier bullets when used in the 22 Hornet. Lil’Gun should give the 50 grain bullet almost the same velocity as the 40 grain. And my Handi Rifle is one of the newer models with the 1:9 twist barrel. It just might like a heavier bullet.

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
You'll like the 160 FXT. L've shot them with Leverevolution and 8208XBR with excellent results. Becareful, though the .308 intended for the Winchester is different than the Marlin round - shorter bullet IIRC. Still, if you can find them, the FXT is a good bullet

·
Premium Member
36,700 Posts
Yep. I quit using flat based anything in the .300 Savage because of losing shells when the edge caught.

On the other hand, my 1:9 twist 5.56 shoots clover leaf groups with 40 grain XTPs on top of TAC.

·
Administrator
29,182 Posts
It would eliminate the step of belling the case a step I find necessary to keep from mucking up the neck of the occasional reload. The design of the 30-30 case is over 100 years old. It’s a thin case that requires care when loading.
This is one of the things that gives me a bit of trepidation about the 30-30. And the pressure in said thin case as well.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

• Wow
Reactions: Rerun

·
Super Moderator
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is one of the things that gives me a bit of trepidation about the 30-30. And the pressure in said thin case as well.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I admit, before the great fire of ‘99 my 30-30 was the AI version and my 22 Hornet was the K version. They were not any faster than my standard loads, but they handled the powder charges I was using better and the cases lasted longer.

Reactions: Rerun and lklawson
1 - 5 of 5 Posts