Flaring die

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by histed, Mar 13, 2016.

1. histed

histed Supporting Member

Anyone ever tried flaring .38/357 with a 9mm flaring die? Long story, but it involves me being too cheap to buy a powder trough flaring die if I don't have to.

2. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    If I recall the die set had everything needed to load 38/357 rounds.

3. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

My 38/357 set is a mixture of RCBS and Lee. Still debating on a factory crimp die.

4. histed

histed Supporting Member

Dane - you're correct. My 38/357 dies are RCBS and the flaring die has a closed top. My new Lee 1000 uses a hollow "powder through" flaring die on station 2 to flare and charge the case. I have an extra set of 9mm dies now, since the Pro 1000 came with 9mm dies, so I'm wanting to use what I have rather than buy a new die.

Goes - the crimp dies are nice, but the 1000 is only a three turret.

5. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Will the 9mm open part fit the other die?

6. GoesBang

I have both powder thru dies. I have never compared.

7. histed

histed Supporting Member

Well, I finally got my lazy ... butt in gear and answered my own question - it WILL work - kinda. You get a little flare and jacked bullets would probably be fine, but I shoot lead and they tend to shave. Gotta get the right die. twelve-fiddy at Midway. Onward and upward.

8. welderman

welderman Member

Histed I have an extra 3 die set of 38/357 dies. I don't have the factory crimp die with it. I would be willing to trade if you have anything to trade. If you're interested pm me and we'll get something going.

9. rickm

rickm Member

10. histed

histed Supporting Member

Thanks Rickm - Estimated shipping is $9.80, so that caps it there.

11. 60ratrod

60ratrod STFU CARL! Member

histed, I would use a tapper crimp die for the .38/357. since these are wheel gun rounds, the tapper crimp works really well, and would suit your lead better. also sounds like you need a lead luber/sizer die too. having that should help keep shaving the slugs to a minimum

12. histed

histed Supporting Member

Thanks, rat. I use a Lee push through and lube with 50/50 tumble lube, no problem. I got shaving from the new progressive cuz I was using the wrong flaring die. I agree with the crimp die, but the Lee 1000 is only a 3 station. press

13. GoesBang

My Pro 1000 has the FCD setup on it.

14. 60ratrod

60ratrod STFU CARL! Member

if you set up like I am, you size/decap/prime on a single stage, then charge/seat/crimp on the pro1k. using a single stage to size/decap/prime allows you to inspect the cases a lot better. it may take a bit longer to run through all the brass, but well worth it in the end IMHO. and if you get the spring return kit for the autodisk, you don't have to worry about having to fab a return link rod or constantly replace a broken ball chain

15. noylj

noylj Member

For lead bullets, you want to use the .38/.357 PTE for 9mm and lead bullets. You really need to remember that it is first of all an EXPANDER die. The expander should open the case ID so it is 0.001-0.002" under the bullet diameter. This is not as critical for jacketed bullets, but plated and cast can be swaged down trying to jam a 0.356-0.358" lead bullet into a 0.349" case ID.
    The thing about the Lee PTE die is that you can only screw it down so far, and that is all the flare you can get.
    So, I would say--order the .38/.357 PTE and use it for 9mm and .38. Otherwise, you can order a custom expander insert from Lee. Tell them the case ID you get after expanding and the bullet diameter so they know the dimension to make the expander.