flash hider or muzzle brake .... AR

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by USMC_VET, Jan 17, 2015.

1. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

Looking at swapping out my flash hinder on my AR and going to a better design or going to a good quality muzzle brake . Right now I've got a flash hider "bird cage design" but the bottom if it isn't ported and looks to be a cheap design muzzle brake

What are you guys using ?? , I like bird cage designs but also like big ported muzzle brakes

2. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I have the standard A2 flash hider but was thinking a brake also. be easier on my beat up shoulder to have next to no recoil

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Check this.

http://gearscout.militarytimes.com/2012/11/15/muzzle-devices-101/

USMC_VET, your A2 style birdcage is built that way to keep it from kicking up too much dust when shooting prone. That "cheap design" is Milspec. So, you aren't allowed to talk bad about it, since Milspec is the end all, be all of the AR operators desires.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  4. USMC_VET

What's on my AR could be a A2 birdcage but looks totally different than the one on my friends Stag Arms AR

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Stag sells 3 different units...

What brand is your AR?

6. USMC_VET

Omni Hybrid and it looks like a A2 birdcage but not like my friends , was looking at my LGS website and they have some nice VLTOR flash hiders

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Stag sells the A2 birdcage, and two comps.
    They look like this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the A2 from Stag

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015