Flash suppressor bullet clearance

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by big_bad_doug, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Just curious, how much clearance is there between the bullet and the flash suppressor? A few thousandths or does it vary by manufacturer and/or style?

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

0.015-0.020 over bullet size.

undeRGRound likes this.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Using those "multi-cal" suppressors, it can vary widely. Mostly there are 2 sizes, according to my son. His 10mm is actually a Silencerco 45 ACP can, and it is good for 9mm to 45cal. Then there is the smaller type, .22 cal to 30 cal iirc. So all but the biggest rated caliber is going to have a substantial gap. Assuming you want to minimize this, Swaga's post looks pretty good. That will also contain more noise and spent gasses. Also using a leading edge inside the last baffle would strip more gasses off the firing column and keep it in the can.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    He said FLASH suppressor. Not silencer, or sound suppressor.

See why calling it a silencer makes more sense?

undeRGRound and Rerun like this.
  5. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

No.

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You can deny it, but the logic still remains. May as well call them silencers, it’s not like the government is going to suddenly say oh, suppressors...sure, that’s fine. In England they’re called silencers, or moderators, IIRC.

7. Rachgier

Sound moderators, to be precise. They also call them sound suppressors in Norway. DOJ and BATFE call them silencers. Hiram Maxim invented the Maxim Silencer.

Who gives a shit if intelligent people can read and know the difference between a flash suppressor and a ... suppressor.

Mag vs clip.
    Silencer vs suppressor.
    Bullet vs cartridge vs round.
    Stopping Power.

Plenty of examples of pervasive misnomers in the firearm community that the mature gun owner doesn't revel in pointing out to people who use the "wrong" term.

splatterin succotash likes this.
  8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It can't. The name is written into the law.

Peace favor your sword ( mobile)

9. Actually my question was in reference to flash suppressor, flash hider, muzzle brake, whatever term you prefer. And yes, I know that technically they're not the same thing. But the reality is that for the average 'I'm just a shmuck who likes guns', the difference in name/function doesn't matter.

Having said that, I have wondered about bullet clearance on silencers. Thinking about the clearance on that extra 5-6 inches threaded on the barrel always makes me wonder...

undeRGRound likes this.
  10. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

The more clearance the louder it will be as more high speed gas escapes.

11. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

My caliper won't go small enough to measure the inside diameter of the muzzle device.

12. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    FWIW, there are 'multi-cal flash suppressors' too. Some of the Flash Cans I have seen (nope, don't own any, nope...) ;) I have seen have like a single chamber similar to a 'silencer'. That one is called a Krinkov Can. The you have the 'sound forwarders' and some of them have a nice brake which has a shroud that can be removed. Many of these are multi-cal.

13. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I have a flash can on my 10.5" 5.56, and a 10.5" 9mm. Never really noticed flash. With Russian ammo it's possible.

Some silencers have the ability to allow a flash reducer inside the can. I've watched several videos where silencers have sparks and flames flying out.

GoesBang likes this.
  14. Rachgier

We know. Most of us don't care about terminology either. Mole missed it and Ajole being a classless teacher, because of the covid, hasn't been able to resist scolding and lecturing people every chance he gets for the past 3 months.

Rerun likes this.
  15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yeah, the "Linear Compensators." I have on on my 300 BLK. Even outdoors, it's still pretty loud.

This one is supposed to be the bee's knees. Nearly as good as an actual "silencer" according to at least one review from a more-or-less trustworthy reviewer:

https://www.wittmachine.net/sme.html

(Off site link to Witt Machine's "Sound Mitigating Equipment" - not a silencer thingy)

Off site link to video review:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk Lawson

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 1:28 PM
    undeRGRound likes this.
  16. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

The guys selling 350 Legend barrels say to use a 40 caliber muzzle device.

This one comes with a threaded end and a rather small thru-hole.
    IMG_0259.jpg

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Geeze. You make one smart aleck response to the guy that answers the question no one asks, and people start getting all het up over it.

And I’m classless because it’s summer, not because of Covid. :carrot:

undeRGRound likes this.
  18. Rachgier

Keep telling yourself that... ;)

Edit: better throw this in so people know it's a joke... :lol:

undeRGRound, Shopfox and ajole like this.
  19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I knew. Screw the rest of ‘em, they’re just onlookers to the whole sordid affair.

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

[​IMG]

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

undeRGRound likes this.