Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 guns I picked up at the flea market for 35$, that's right 35$. The first is a Stevens .22 that some one has sawed off, it needs a bolt. The second has a homemade stock, the gun was burnt up in a house fire and everyone is to scared to shoot it. I think I am gonna strap it to a tree and fire it remotely. Will a house fire screw up a barrel's temper? It has been cleaned up and does not look weird.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It is possible that the barrel could be warped or weakened. House fires can reach up to 1100 degrees, and while steel has a melting point of something along the lines of 2500 degrees, temperatures of around 1100 degrees can affect the presence of carbon in the steel, which can cause metal to warp or weaken by affecting the molecular structure of the steel. There was a really good article on house fires and guns in the 2007 or 2008 Gun Digest yearbook that discussed the effect of fires on weapons, and it had some interesting data compiled from insurance companies over several years. Unfortunately, I loaned my copy to someone six months ago and haven't seen it since.

Just be careful with it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A 30-30

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
If I took the time to make a stock I'm probally planning on shooting it, so if the original owner wasnt scared I wouldnt be either. I bet you they got them from somebody who got it from somebody who interherited it, and has never shot it.

G

·
hahah yeah the only thing id be a little wary about would be how straight it fires. :p so i wouldn't scerd to fire it. but yeah if i were smart id do the remote fire but...im not.. hahah so go for it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If it was a High-Point, I'd mail it back to the factory.
Another good reason to own High-Point.
Although, The plastic wouldn't hold up to a house fire.

G

·
yeah if it is HP id send it in. and actually the older hipoints have a metal body instead of the polymer frame grip. well i know that the c9 use to be made in metal. i have two and ones new polymer and the other is an old metal one...so yeah :p

·
Registered
191 Posts
Where can I find one of these High-Points? All mine are missing the 'gh.' I think they are defective.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
I've heard stories of some that have survived house fires. AND they still warrantied it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.