Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today was my first time and despite my apprehension it was actually an easy process. went to check in desk and declared that i had firearms, ammo and firearms parts. they asked me to open the gun cases and sign two cards , one went into each case and was then told to lock them back. they did not want me to open the large locked case with my ammo and parts , nor did they weigh the ammo. my scales at home weighed it at 54 pounds . four over the limit and i gambled. i had also put two loaded AR mags in one gun case and 40 rounds of 30/30 in a plastic box . in fact they didnt charge me overweight fees either , just the standard charge for checked bags . i had 4 checked and it was 270 dollars. they took my ammo and one duffel and put it on the conveyor and told me to take the gun cases to TSA window . once there they told me to stand in place and they took my cases and ran them through an xray machine , took them out and asked me to come unlock both and again told me to go stand behind the rope. all this was plainly in view of me . they opened my cases , looked briefly , felt around the foam on the lid and closed them back. i was then told to come back over and lock them and was told Alaska Airlines would send someone soon to pick them up and i was ok to go to security checkpoint if i wished. it was super easy in Atlanta anyway. i could have had a hundred pounds of ammo i think and got thru with no problems on this day anyway. also my locked tote didnt have TSA locks and i started thinking they may call me back to check it too but they never did . flew into anchorage and both gun cases and ammo was brought out quickly while i was waiting on my other bag. three hours later i was walking into my cabin that was 29 degrees inside lol. heating it up now . it was a good day.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Seeing it was Alaskan Airlines they probably deal with that kind of thing more often than the other airlines. I would think they see many more people flying to Anchorage with firearms that folks flying with firearms from say, Omaha to Sarasota (or where ever). Glad you made it. Have a good trip!

Reactions: Northslope

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seeing it was Alaskan Airlines they probably deal with that kind of thing more often than the other airlines. I would think they see many more people flying to Anchorage with firearms that folks flying with firearms from say, Omaha to Sarasota (or where ever). Glad you made it. Have a good trip!
thank you! and you are right , i dont think ive ever flown into anchorage without seeing several people with gun cases near the Alaska Airlines baggage claim area

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,804 Posts
Never had an issue flying with a firearm. It doesn't even faze the workers at the counters. One time in Texas after we landed and i wanted to check to make sure our guns were still there. They even let us go in a private room to look and holster up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts