Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
WHAT IS THIS!!!! Are you trying to start an argument I think this one should be done with. There is no need to stgart this all over again!!!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Definitions are a part of our language... some people just choose to use them incorrectly... it doesn't bother me but it does make them sound like the anti's who use the wrong verbage on purpose at times... and at others just BC they don't know.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
I don't know...I can't get any of those clips on the left to keep my bag of chips closed...and I can't find the table of contents or even the publisher of those magazines on the right. :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Don't bother me none I still slipup and use clip when I really shouldn't it is just a bad force of habit.

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
We could just call them "encased spring loaded ammunition delivery devices."

For the record though...when people call magazines clips it does make me twitch a bit.

·
U.S.S.
2,253 Posts
Definitions are a part of our language... some people just choose to use them incorrectly... it doesn't bother me but it does make them sound like the anti's who use the wrong verbage on purpose at times... and at others just BC they don't know.
True, but definitions are dynamic and driven by driven by usage not the other way arround. For example, the word bad now also means good. If it becomes common enough for people to call magazines clips, then the definition of clip should change to reflect that alternate definition. That is how language has evolved, always has and always will.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
It's like when people say "That's Sick", I don't know if they mean good or bad. :brow:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
True, but definitions are dynamic and driven by driven by usage not the other way arround. For example, the word bad now also means good. If it becomes common enough for people to call magazines clips, then the definition of clip should change to reflect that alternate definition. That is how language has evolved, always has and always will.
Oooooor...

People could get their heads out of their asses and educate themselves for a change.

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Then what will we call clips?

You know...I have a bunch of 8 round 7.62x25 clips sitting around (milsurp ammo came on them)...I wonder what would happen if I put them on Gunbroker (without a picture :devilsidesmile:) as CZ-52 clips. Wonder if people would buy them for like $20 each haha. I know that's pretty evil...but it's rather tempting lol.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
If they would actually buy something without a picture, it sounds like a tax on stupidity to me.

I once called a magazine a clip, and was educated abruptly. I don't care what anyone else calls it, but I won't make the same mistake twice.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Technical definitions are not dynamic... which is why people who call a modern throttle body a carburetor get looked at like they are an idiot!

Firearm definitions are the same they are technical definitions and are not dynamic. You can't change a peep sight to a hole sight just because some tards call it that .. or even a whole bunch of tards...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts