Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I don't go around shilling products because that would just make me another irritating consumer Capitalist. BUT...

For all of you YouTube fans and Firefox browser users, this is *the* utility to get! I've been using it for about 2 years, and with the recent updates it just rocks! It's called Download Helper (pretty boring name I know), and what it does is simple, yet sweet.

You see, YouTube tries to lock down it's vids via a form of DRM (Digital Rights Management) that sets it so that you can only see it as a streaming vid that gets saved to your browser's temporary files folder. Every time you clear out your temp files, it's gone. And, it only plays in the web browser when you're at the source page of the vid. What Download Helper does is save the raw feed (FLV file) and, by using a 2 part program, then lets you convert that video into ANY file format! Windows Media, .avi, Quicktime, Zune... whatever! And, it runs in the background so all you have to do is load the webpage, and the little bit on your toolbar automacially figures out which files are ripe for the picking. The free version does all of this, but sticks an annoying little logo in the left hand corner. It's really not that bad...and it's free! But, if you actually pay for the registration code, you get the ability to rip any streaming music from any feed going into your computer to an .mp3 format!

I don't have the link...but if you search "Download Helper", you can easily find it. So, now you can save all those cool shooting vids you see before they get deleted or removed by the poster for unknown reasons :D

·
Registered
514 Posts
keepvid.com

mediaconverter.org

·
Registered
314 Posts
real player can do it as well, and find some simple program to convert the FLV to WMV etc.

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Download Helper is win. Also, Any Video Converter will rip videos straight from several streaming media sites. If you want more advanced controls over the video conversion, use SUPER.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I got something even easier...

go to youtube, find the video you want, then type in "kick" in front of the youtube in the address, and VOILA. a site to download in multiple formats. without having to install various utilities.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

go to youtube, find the video you want, then type in "kick" in front of the youtube in the address, and VOILA. a site to download in multiple formats. without having to install various utilities.
Except that the site has MASSIVE amounts of spyware attached to it :blink: Tried it on the computer at work and man...bad idea. Perhaps it was the portal I was going through but it put a kink into my work system

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: For Firefox users: want a YouTube vid? Can't save it onto your comp? Get THI

You can also view the downloaded .flv files with VLC (http://www.videolan.org/) and not have to convert them, which IIRC you have to pay for.
The problem is that if you want to play the vids on another device..or any device, you're still going to have to convert them. I use my Zune and my phone (an LG Incite) to keep me entertained when it's slow at work, so windows media is my option I have to look at

·
Banned
290 Posts
keepvid.com

mediaconverter.org
+1 on keepvid.com,,but theres a few that it won't do,,keeps saying error,,as for conversion look up a program called "format factory" it does all types of media and into all formats,,including to the psp ect.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts

Except that the site has MASSIVE amounts of spyware attached to it :blink: Tried it on the computer at work and man...bad idea. Perhaps it was the portal I was going through but it put a kink into my work system
I'm gonna have to learn toward the portal you used, cause my wife and I use it anytime we see something on youtube we want and haven't had a single piece of spyware from it yet.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
I usually use Orbit downloading software for that. It has a utility to "Grab it" off the internet and as long as the video is already playing, it will pick it up and rip it straight to your drive in .MP4 format, or .FLV or whatever you choose to download it as.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts