For freedom lovers in FL

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Back2School, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Back2School

Back2School Member

This doesnt affect me as I have not had an alcoholic drink in a long time, but it does look like it would help protect your rights in a DUI checkpoint in FL.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/01/03/see-this-guy-get-through-a-dui-checkpoint-without-saying-a-word-thanks-to-what-he-hung-out-his-car-window/

In a video posted to YouTube Thursday, longtime police recording activist Jeff Gray tests out a novel approach to DUI checkpoints in Florida: putting license, registration and insurance information in a plastic freezer bag, along with a Fair DUI message:

I remain silent

No searches

I want my lawyer

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I read a story about a year ago, about a guy who was being prosecuted for non-compliance for remaining silent during a police investigation. It went to the highest court in his state. The judges ruled he "DID NOT" have the right to remain silent!

BUT, that's OK, I ALWAYS remain silent. I just don't tell them I'm doing it!

3. bluharley

bluharley Member

Yea, here in Floreeda, we got a lot of DUI manslaughter cases going on all the time. Lately, getting hammered and going the wrong way on the interstate and driving head on into another car has gotten real popular. Seems like every week people are getting slaughtered on the roadway. Hit and runs are quite popular too. Run someone over and just go home. Then they can't prove you were drunk. Crossing guards have been popular in 2014. I hate this state.

4. MachoMelvin

One of my co-workers was sick with the flu earlier in December. So he went to the ER & was given some medication. He got up the next morning & still feeling sick decided he would go to his doctor. He pulled on to the interstate the wrong way & hit a tractor trailer head on. He died on Christmas day. We have had a lot of wrong-way interstate accidents up here also, but I love this state!

5. bluharley

bluharley Member

Sorry to hear about your co-worker. What I don't get, is if you see a tractor trailer coming at you, shouldn't you do something, like pull over or something? All these head ons, it's like where are these people when it happens? On the phone, yanking it, what? If I see someone coming right at me, I'm going to do SOMETHING.

6. MachoMelvin

I drive between 100-200 miles a day. I have had numerous incidents with people coming at me head on, on a 4 lane hyway. I can honestly say I have done it a few times my self? In a strange area, I'm not familiar with. Make a left to soon. I think that is why they are called ACCIDENTS?

7. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Some of those flu meds really mess you up, he was probably halfway hallucinating.

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

If in not mistaken it's Driving While Impaired and under Florida law this can mean meds also......as they should.
    I couldn't drive around the block after a swig of NyQuil......

9. MachoMelvin

Yes it was sad. He was maybe late 30's & had only been with our company for 4 months.

10. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    I still love it here after over 30 years.

Maybe it is all these northerners coming into the state?? We now have more people than NY! Probably because they all came down here.

11. bluharley

bluharley Member

Guess I just miss Colorado. But my niece is here visiting from Colorado, and she says since the oil and gas boom, it's gotten nuts out there too, So maybe Idaho or Washington. I'm just a country boy, I don't like all these people.

12. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I learned many years ago in a defensive driving class many head on accidents on the freeway are when you are in the left lane crossing over an interchange.

I almost had a head on back in the 80's. '56 beetle no seat belts, I almost rolled it getting out of his way.

13. Back2School

Back2School Member

I moved to do in 88 as and out in
    02. I have mixed feelings about the state but the last 6 months visiting had made me like it more.

I got culture shock when I moved here, there were a fair amount of bars open in the am with people starting their day drinking.

Maybe it just the tourists, but I have always seen Florida as big on alcohol...