For the fancy outhouse

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by cicpup, Jan 13, 2015.

1. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    My bathroom consists of a narrow 18' hallway leading to a small rectangle containing a sink, toilet and tub. You can't see the door from the toilet. I've often sat there with my pants around my ankles and thought, "I'm pretty damn vulnerable right now". Usually followed with, "This would be a great place for a sawed off shotgun". Recently at my LGS I found an Eastern Arms Company 1929 Model Single shot 16 GA Break Action Shotgun I thought would do nicely. So I dropped $120 on it and came here to see if maybe I had a rare find, where Ajole promptly informed me that I over paid. By about double. Sealed it's fate.

Kept it simple. Cut barrel to 18 1/2" (extra 1/2" for luck) reblued and refinished furniture (red oak stain & BLO). Pics suck. They really don't do it justice.

Attached Files:

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

That barrel looks nice.
    Why a single shot though?
    No cheapo coach guns or worn out skeet guns at your LGS?

3. cicpup

Vermont
    Doubles were all $200+. More than I wanted to spend for a barrel cutting & blueing experiment..

4. once you cut the barrel what did you use to refinish it? What saw did you use? Normal Hack saw in a vice? or a metal cutting Miter saw?

Re crown the end? or just file and re blue?

5. cicpup

Vermont
    Hack saw and a cheap plastic miter box. File, sand, & blue. It'll only ever see bird & buck & less than 20' range. Figured de-burring and eliminating ridges was good enough. First barrel cut. I think it's OK.

6. cicpup

Vermont
    I did have a nice Stoeger double 12ga I was originally going to use, but it was too nice to cut up. So I sold it. Wanted a coach gun but too expensive to hang in the crapper.

7. IT looks good. Good idea to give it the extra 18"

I asked because i was researching doing that today. I bought a Moss. 500 in .410 for my 2 years ago. It was supposed to be her Home defense. but it is the field model. I expected to be able to find barrels and stocks for it. But i was wrong. So i am going to embark on similar quest. I think cutting the barrel i can do pretty easy, the stock. I dont know how to get the but pad to line back up once i do.

I think you did a good job, after all its going to be a sh*tter gun anyway.

8. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

You must live in a pretty rough neighborhood to have to take a shotgun to the can instead of just yer smartphone..... :eek:

9. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I've had a couple Mexican food turds I thought I might have to shoot, to get em to go away.......

10. cicpup

Vermont
    Get back to me when you have a home invasion and you're sitting there with a smartphone in one hand and shriveling uselessness in the other.

Bigger threat of a bear attack. Just thought it was a cool excuse to buy another gun.

11. and why not? people hide .357's in recliners all the damn time, New a guy who had an AK pistol in a kitchen cabinet, and a 12GA in the wall behind the door.

We had a member on here who actually put a shot gun in his shower i beleive. He did say he was in a terrible neighborhood.

the "You are really that paranoid?" comments are only a stones throw from "Why keep a loaded gun in your house!?!?!"

12. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

any sum-of-a-brick that's bad enough to inhale my vapors and live ain't gonna be stopped by no puny shotgun....

13. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

14. Any normal person seeing me with my pants around my ankles is going to turn tail and run. I just gotta worry about the crazy ones (or crackheads).

15. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Where I am living, the chances of a home invasion (other than by extraterrestrials), is about the same as winning the powerball lottery (which I don't even play....) ;)

THIS...... I can agree with! :p

16. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

You dudes are creating sooooo many twisted visions in my head: Pants around the ankles on the crapper with gun in one hand, cheeseburger in the other....and someone breaks in and BAM! Bloody bodies and walls, Decisions, decisions; call 911 or finish the cheeseburger and whether to wipe now or later..DAAAAAM! I'm done :confused:

17. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

It sucks. Just kidding looks good. You need it to look like a tp holder that would make it perfect. Did under turd move in next door for you to get it. The little weasel likes to look into windows :-D

18. That gives me the idea.

Make a tp holder out of the barrel you cut off.

19. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Stick a plunger on the end and it will be dual purpose. ;)

20. Cut the stock at the grip. Drill and thread the back for the plunger handle. Genus.