Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting together a foreign surplus bushcrafting / camping kit. This is based on a French F2 rucksack. So far it is equipped with 2 Russian Plash Palatkas (cape shelter) a Czech mess kit, East German nesting fork and spoon, East German wool blanket, West German combat knife and folding knife/multi tool, French airborne canteen, and a Polish artillery compass.

It’s close to complete. I am hoping to make a weekend of it by the end of October. I’ll probably freeze to death. JK. Actually looking forward to it. Should be a ton of fun.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
Do you also have sufficient layers of clothing/insulation to complement your wool blanket, if it gets that cool down there? ;) speaking as someone from the "Mediterranean climate of the Willamette Valley" in Oregon :rolleyes: it does get pretty cool at nights here if not downright miserably wet.

·
Premium Member
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you also have sufficient layers of clothing/insulation to complement your wool blanket, if it gets that cool down there? ;) speaking as someone from the "Mediterranean climate of the Willamette Valley" in Oregon :rolleyes: it does get pretty cool at nights here if not downright miserably wet.
That’s part of what I need to add, and I am not having much luck without looking at US surplus.

I am thinking about a 3rd Plash Palatka. The first 2 would be for shelter and the 3rd for a ground cloth. Another option would be my Polish Lavvu with a Plash Palatka as a ground cloth. The Lavvu’s are pretty warm in itself. A British sleep pad is likely to be my next purchase. That will be insulation between myself and the ground. The dang things are expensive though. Of course if the weather dictates, i will sleep fully clothed. Long Johns and cotton duck are warm in themselves. Regardless, if it’s cold enough, there will be a Siberian Log Fire. That’s the best fire lay I know of for all night heat.

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
I was very fortunate to have found an US made M65 Field Jacket in black, in 3XL for only $15 in a local animal shelter thrift store. No liner though.

·
Premium Member
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A Polish compass? I thought the game was NOT to get lost...
In all honesty, I find the Polish stuff quite good. I sort of got on a Polish surplus kick a few years ago when I discovered Helikon-Tex. While my Helikon-Tex gear has been super ceded by The Hidden Woodsmen gear (a boutique gear maker in New England) I just can not bring myself to part with it. Who is Helikon-Tex? The Poland based company who is the parent company of Direct Action. And you never hear bad about Direct Action.

Another piece of Polish gear I really like is the Lavvu. Think USGI Shelter Half, where half the shelter system is carried by each soldier who pair to make the complete shelter. The Polish Lavvu is the same, except better.

As to the Polish artillery compass. There is a learning curve to it. It is divided into 6000 mils rather than 6400 mils as used by the US. No big deal as that’s what Russia uses too. You just have to do your math by 6. The face does not show 360 degrees, but is marked to 60. The big difference is the letter "W". It stands for Wschód. Which is Polish for EAST! Just remember what you are reading or you may just go in the wrong direction.

not a picture of mine, but here is what I have.
Watch Analog watch Luggage and bags Clock Bag

@Rachgier i understand your humor, and got a chuckle out of it. But I just got to defend good stuff that gets a bad rap. Next discussion will be on the Carcano.

·
Premium Member
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was very fortunate to have found an US made M65 Field Jacket in black, in 3XL for only $15 in a local animal shelter thrift store. No liner though.
Even when in the FMF I couldn’t find clothing that fit. Most everything had to be taylored or altered in some way.

5 foot 8 inches with a 64" chest and 32" waist weighing in at 235 pounds is just hard to fit. We won’t talk about today's weight and measuremints, but I will ask what happened to yesterday?

·
Premium Member
36,049 Posts
I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think any black M65’s were made for the military? So probably not milsurp.

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think any black M65’s were made for the military? So probably not milsurp.
It definitely not military contract, however similar but modified black M65 Field Jackets were worn by certain guys in Operation Eagle Claw... , yes that failed rescue that ended in deaths.

Outerwear Sleeve Military uniform Headgear Jacket

Eagle Claw assaulters. Top row, from left to right: Chris Abel, Steve Hoffman. Bottom row: John Gniff, Bill Zumwalt, and Mike Vining. Photo courtesy of Mike Vining.

From like 1979 or 1980?
Where I got the photo
Operation Eagle Claw, 41 Years Later

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
SWMBO and I prefer to camp in cooler weather. Our year has been bad enough that we probably won't be going this year. We went through covid the first of September. Then her step dad was on a small John Deere mowing tractor and legally turning left off the highway and a semi behind him tried to pass in a no passing zone at either 45 or 50 MPH and hit him broadside. He broke his left shoulder blade and all his ribs on the left side. He spent 2 weeks in a hospital in another town. My MIL made it through the first week just fine but the second week without him she stopped her meds and eating. He was in the covid ward and she couldn't visit him. She went into a depression and we eventually had to put her in the hospital. We are getting her in a local nursing home temporarily to get her back on her feet, she's 87. God willing she will get straightened out and back home. Those of you who do please help us pray she will come home.

Reactions: lklawson
1 - 13 of 13 Posts