Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
by Jordan Michaels on September 2, 2020

In a surprise development, an ex-Chief Executive Officer for a California security firm pleaded guilty this week to his role in a pay-to-play scheme in which his employees received coveted concealed carry permits in exchange for a campaign contribution to the Santa Clara County Sheriff's reelection campaign, according to The Mercury News.

Christian West was the C.E.O. of AS Solutions, a high-profile security firm that handled protection for Facebook and Google executives. As GunsAmerica reported previously, employees at AS Solutions have been under investigation for donating $45,000 to long-time Santa Clara Sheriff Laurie Smith in exchange for concealed carry permits.

Though Smith has yet to face any charges, investigators have charged four people in connection with the scheme, including one of Smith's captains, James Jensen. West had been charged with two separate felony conspiracy counts, but his charges have been downgraded to misdemeanors in exchange for his cooperation, Mercury News reports.

Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen has not said whether his office is close to indicting Smith, but he did tell reporters that he expects to file more charges.

"As we gather more evidence, we expect to file more charges against more individuals in the coming weeks. We are not done," he said.

Read more at:
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...firm-pleads-guilty-in-pay-to-play-ccw-scheme/

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How much did you pay for your concealed weapon permit? Mine was about $100 for a five year term. $45,000 for several concealed weapon permits is pretty steep. No surprise stuff like this is going on in California, the corrupt state that is no longer "golden."

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
That's the problem with a "may issue" policy as opposed to a "shall issue" policy--especially when the criteria for issue are ambiguous and highly subjective. It opens up issue to either a pay to play scheme like this, or it allows only connected individuals to get the permits.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
$45 for a 7(?) year renewal.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
West had been charged with two separate felony conspiracy counts, but his charges have been downgraded to misdemeanors in exchange for his cooperation, Mercury News reports.
So the CEO folds and sells the others down the river.
Great.
Whose idea do you think it was anyway?

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
While other counties like Sacramento County has issued more than 5,000 [concealed firearm] permits, Santa Clara County has only issued or renewed about 150.

On a website I read that in the year 2017 there were about 699,000 concealed firearm permits in the State of Utah, about 1,275,000 in Pennsylvania and about 1,200,000 in Texas. Obviously California looks at carrying a concealed pistol for a common citizen as an elite privilege for only a few and not a right.

Edit: I also read Hawaii has issued zero concealed firearm permits in 2017

Reactions: Think1st

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
How much did you pay for your concealed weapon permit? Mine was about $100 for a five year
I forget what my renewal was. I did $160 for the lifetime back in 2017.

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
MO is shall issue. Back when I was considering it the cost was :

Classes $100-200. (Private)

St. Louis County $90. Renewal $40

For me this became moot because permits are no longer required to carry concealed for Mo residents.
But if you step over a state line it is usually necessary.

Reactions: lklawson

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
True but when I step over the state line it's IL.
You don't jump on I-55 and go to Haiti Arkansas for big fun? :) Iowa for some roasted corn?

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
Arkansas on two wheels. I'm more concerned about projectiles measured by tons than grains.

Why would anyone want to go to Iowa?
:)
Visit OO. I went there once. Muscadine, and picked up a load of Miller Lite and hauled it to Miller Brands in Milwaukee :confused:o_O

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
While other counties like Sacramento County has issued more than 5,000 [concealed firearm] permits, Santa Clara County has only issued or renewed about 150.

On a website I read that in the year 2017 there were about 699,000 concealed firearm permits in the State of Utah, about 1,275,000 in Pennsylvania and about 1,200,000 in Texas. Obviously California looks at carrying a concealed pistol for a common citizen as an elite privilege for only a few and not a right.

Edit: I also read Hawaii has issued zero concealed firearm permits in 2017
Around 5 to 6% of Ohio's population has a CHL as of last count. I expect that number will have gone up by around 25% roughly by the time we get statistics collected for 2020.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Reactions: TNTRAILERTRASH

·
Registered
142 Posts
How much did you pay for your concealed weapon permit? Mine was about $100 for a five year term. $45,000 for several concealed weapon permits is pretty steep. No surprise stuff like this is going on in California, the corrupt state that is no longer "golden."
I wonder if things like this have anything to do with people leaving the hell ridden place? I say let them cannibalize themselves into oblivion with corruption, taxes, and adoration of each other. Isn't it about time for Nancy to get another blowjob?

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,957 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wonder if things like this have anything to do with people leaving the hell ridden place? I say let them cannibalize themselves into oblivion with corruption, taxes, and adoration of each other.
I heard someone say if California left the United States they would greatly fear Chinese negotiations with new leadership of letting some of their armed forces take up residence in the territory. It's obviously all wild speculation. I do not think California will leave the United States.

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
I heard someone say if California left the United States they would greatly fear Chinese negotiations with new leadership of letting some of their armed forces take up residence in the territory. It's obviously all wild speculation. I do not think California will leave the United States.
The Democrats will NEVER let California leave the U.S. Yes, the Democrats.

Democrats depend on California's 55 Electoral Votes to win Presidential Elections, which is 5 TIMES more than the average of ~10.5 Electoral Votes per state.

They'll never give it up.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 20 of 57 Posts