Forum Acronyms

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by bws, May 5, 2014.

1. bws

bws Member

OK, I'm a noob, but I hear people referring to a business (I assume) as "MOM". What does that mean and are there any other HP specific acronyms that us noobs should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

b

2. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

MoM is not just for Hi-Points. It stands for Maker Or Manufacturer. ;)

3. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Mom is Hi Point. The manufacturer/customer service. She takes care of us like a good mom should

Of course you have the names of the 2 larger pistols, JHP .45 and JCP .40. As far as we know, officially, they stand for......nothing. They are just letters LOL

The carbines end in TS...995TS, 4095TS, 4595TS.... the TS stands for Target Stock....just trust me on that and drop the subject....it's a sore one :D

That's pretty much it that I can think of that are Hi Point specific...there are a fwe older models that have letter names, but again, they are just names.

Firearms in general, you have
    FTF = failure to feed
    FTE = failure to eject

S/A is single action if you are talking revolvers and semi auto if you are talking, well, semi outo pistols

DA is double action.

You have IWB - In The Waistband holsters.

Uh, for ammo you have JHP - jacketed hollow points (defense ammo) and FMJ - full metal jacket (range ammo).

I am sure there are plenty of others, and someone else can help

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Every hobby or occupation has it's own 'language'.
    Shooting sports or gun hobbyists in general are no different.
    Lots of websites that cover gun lingo, here's one of them:

http://www.shootfancy.com/firearms-lingo/

5. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

Don't forget S.W.A.G.A - Sweaty Whitemen And Gentle Asians

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Mmmm, that does have a certain charm to it......

7. mawguy

mawguy Sheep Dog Member

uh.... mawguy

Middle Aged White Guy

We are to blame for everything that is wrong. We are also to blame for things that are not yet wrong, but will be eventually.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    No, it doesn't. I don't know who started that rumor, but it's wrong.:mad:

Mom is the factory, but it's called mom because the owners wife was often the person you talked to on the phone, and she came to the forum once in a while.

You actually do send the stuff back to mom.

9. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

i thought we had an acronym thread out there somewhere. i'd look for it but i had a long day at work followed by several hours working out the yard getting ready for my big garage build so i'm to tired to do anything right now.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Go back and read the stickies...:rolleyes:

There were 3 companies, owned by Haskell, Cole and Stallard. JC was made by Cole's company Cole-lective IIRC, JH was by Haskell, and some JS guns by Stallard. No one seems to know about the CF on the . 380 They all became part of Beemiller and Hi Point eventually. And some models don't seem to follow the rules.
    The C in C9 was supposedly Compact...but I'm not certain. The P on the big guns was added when the frames became polymer.

In addition, we often call the pre-TS carbines monkey guns or classic.

11. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Garage Build? How big of a garage you going to build? I have help built 5 garages in my life, all are still standing. 3-24'x36', 1-24'x32', & 1-30'x40' . They were all pole barns, but we made them all look like conventional garages.
    I put a bathroom, running water, natural gas heat, cable TV, & wifi in my last one. My brothers & sons built them for ourselves. We used lumber yard build package kits.

12. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I always assumed (be careful) that the "P" was for polymer.

13. bluebone

it's gonna be a 30x48 with a 6x8 breezeway and it's gonna be insulated and built to wyoming specs. a good friend just had a 30x36 put up a cpl weeks ago and it's rock solid. far better then those cheapo big-box store pole buildings. i'm stoked about it. it'll be a pole building also but built to better standards.

14. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I have seen reference to that. I have also read somewhere that there was speculation as to what the letters actually stood for.

Even what you quoted uses words like supposedly and not certain. That's why I wasn't going to state something as certain if I didn't know them to be. And even if it is 100% true that the H stod for Haskel, the C for Cole and the S for Stallard....it still doesn't address what the J stood/stands for. And then there is teh CF mystery.

So, while there may be some actual reasons for certain letters, I think there is some truth in my statement too that they are just letters :D

But, thanks for the redirection and clarification on the H, C & S, I had forgotten about that

15. bws

bws Member

Thanks ya'll

16. bluebone

Just remember, when it's all said done your guess is as good as ours. ..:p

17. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

I like this version BEST.
    That being said, I have seen maybe 2 other mfg's referred to as MoM
    on different gun venues. Seems they are wheezing in on OUR Nickname
    for OUR Beloved HPs!!!

18. That's only because of the misinformed spreading misinformation.

19. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    But Don't Two Wrongs Make a Right??? :p