Found something interesting today...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rachgier, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

So I went over to Dad's house (well, mine according to the will) today to clean out the workshop for him. My father is a bit of a know-nothing in the world of tools and garage type stuff. A lot of the stuff in the garage was part of my grandfather's "save it because you never know when it will come in handy" mentality. He's been gone for almost 6 years now to give you an idea of how un-mechanically inclined my father is. I was digging out the last of the boxes from underneath his work bench and came across this small oil-soaked cardboard box. Intrigued, as most of you all would be, I opened it and found what I initially thought were cans of lighter fluid. Upon further inspection I saw the labels and they were cans of lubricant from IBM. I can't find ANYTHING on the interwebz about them but the contents are a red, thin fluid that reminds me of the 3-in-1 oil. Anyone care to take a stab at helping me identify this mystery oil? If it is of the right composition, it may end up being used in oiling my firearms. At the very least, I can use it around the house.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

re packaged Marvel Mystery Oil..... :D (which is also red, like tranny fluid)

[​IMG]

3. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

4. Rachgier

LOL

I even sent the pictures to a friend who has been working at IBM for 40 some odd years and he has no idea what it is.

Edit: No, no I can't say as I did. Time to check and see if the p/n is on the list.

Edit #2: Well I can definitively say the Part #:

1. Is NOT a complete phone number in Germany.
    2. IS attached to a profile on Oasis Date.
    3. Is NOT anywhere on IBM's MSDS.

5. cktvt

cktvt Member

I'm gonna guess it's lubricant for old IBM Selectric Typewriters from the 70s or 80s. :confused: If so, it should work just fine on A-O Thompsons (Chicago Typewriters)

6. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

^^^^^ Nice!!!

7. Rachgier

Good guess, I'm still searching though.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Exactly. An older business teacher here used to teach typing, he had a few cans of that stuff.

9. Rachgier

Yeah that's basically where I ended up after researching Selectrics. I was reading an IBM Selectric blog and the author talked about how IBM used to sell a "proprietary" lubricant to repair shops in the 60's until their patent expired and Remington cloned the typewriters. It's supposedly a low viscosity purpose oil for light mechanisms like linkages and sliding bearing. It's supposed to have good oxidation resistance and contains a rust inhibitor.

NOW, the $64,000 question is, will it be good on firearms?

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yes, similar to light machine oil. It's also supposed to not "gunk" up too badly as it ages.

11. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

You've said the magic word in your query, mystery oil. :)

At some shops we call it top oil.

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'm old enough to have used typewriters, even though I'm an InfoSys wonk. Did my first Tax Return on a typewriter.

Typewriter oil is pretty similar to Sewing Machine oil and most other light-weight oils.

Should be fine to use on guns and most other small-gearwork mechanisms. Pretty much, just use like any other light-weight oil. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. Rachgier

Looks like I won't be needing to buy any gun oil for a while...

14. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Sho nuff!! Let us know how you like it!