Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I sent my C9 in to Bemiller last month and they were very nice. Rocky(a worker) even included a hand written note of what they did, on my request for repair. Well, I went to the range tonight (anxious to see if it worked)and fired 250 rounds of ammo through it. The first 100 were winchester 115 gr ball ammo and were fine, the next 150 were some cheap(10.00 no tax per box of 50) Chinese brand,124 gr,ball, no name anywhere on it only MADE IN CHINA(guess I should have known).

On the last box of Chinese stuff, about 20 rounds left, it jammed and what happened is the round in the chamber fired but failed to eject and the next round was butted up against it , so, I had to get a screw driver and free the spent round since it wouldn't do it on it's own.

Next mag, SAME THING..... So, I ran 8 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense thru her and it was just fine!

QUESTION IS- Could it have gotten dirty enough to foul the barrel so as to no eject the cheap , dirty ammo?

Help! I don't want to send her back again, but am really disgruntled because she shoots rite on target but not dependably. Know one wants a nightstand gun they can't rely on......

I guess I'll have to rely on my S&W Model 10 because she goes BANG every single time(only 6 though).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OH, by the way, I forgot to add that I always get onlookers who are in awe over how accurate my C9 (or maybe it's me) is at 15 to 20 yards. There are always people looking over my shoulder......
SWEET!

That's the part I really enjoy(the gun shoots straight)!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am guessing that the cheap rounds were not sized right .. Alot of the dirt cheap no name brass are just that cheap with little quality control .. I ran into this befor while reloading some founds for my 9mm .. Bought cheap no name brass and did not resize the case pior to loading .. did the same thing your explaining .. Keep to the stuff you know works ..

·
Registered
638 Posts
My C9 had problems ejecting the rounds for a little while. I finally took the ejector out and made sure that there was no dirt or anything causing it to freeze up. Since I have done that, I have had no problems. I think that oiling the ejector made dirt stick to it, and that is what caused my FTE's. I do not oil the ejector anymore and I haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am guessing that the cheap rounds were not sized right .. Alot of the dirt cheap no name brass are just that cheap with little quality control .. I ran into this befor while reloading some founds for my 9mm .. Bought cheap no name brass and did not resize the case pior to loading .. did the same thing your explaining .. Keep to the stuff you know works ..
They might have been the russian sized 9mm instead of 9mm luger.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Umm...since the jams occurred only with the cheap Chinese knock-off stuff, I will say that it was the ammo and not the gun or the mag. Your Winchester rounds shot fine, your Hornady defense rounds shot just fine, the cheapo Chinese did not. The gun is fine, the mags are fine, the ammo was not.

My guess would be that the Chinese rounds didn't have enough of, or the right kinda of, powder to release enough energy to cycle the slide properly. This would cause the spent casing to not eject, but still have enough force for the slide to try and chamber the next round.

Moral of the story: Stay away from cheapo, no name, Chinese knock off ammo. Buy and use name brand, factory made and packaged ammunition only, unless you reload your own ammo, then be sure to follow all safety precautions.

You got off lucky that the jams were the least of your problems. The Chinese stuff may have caused a squib without your knowledge, you could have then fired the next round and had a KA-BOOM!!!

Again, Your Hi-Point is perfectly fine!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would agree with broomhead... The chinese ammo was probably not up to standard, I am becoming very anti chinese anything when it comes to safety or just general products they dont do enough QA before shipping.. I would spend the couple of extra bucks and get a cheap UMC or winchester round for 12.99, I got mine from bass pro but I am sure you can find those anywhere. On a different not Since the C9 is +P rated I decided to get some nato mil. rounds for mine.. havent shot them yet but I am going to go this weekend and knock a few through, its been six years since I got to shoot any mil rounds.. cant wait

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:welcome:I just wanted to thank everyone for their input, it helps to be able to discuss similar issues with people that have the same passion as I do..... :welcome:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had my C9, along with my new JHP G45 at the range and very pleased with both! The 45 needs the sight dialed in but I can fix that!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I finally got to shoot those nato rounds... AWESOME, It shot them perfect, put all 50 rounds through it and no jams, no problems what so ever, gave it a good workout. shot up some winchester target loads as well and they were perfect.. my shooting is a little off but we wont go there.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Glad you got the situation resolved satisfactorily. Enjoy.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Just a question, but do you normally reload without resizing the case?? I never heard of that, do you mean case trimming (in which case I can understand that),or you just don't bother running it through the sizing die? Thats not advisable imo, firing a round does change the brass my friend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts