Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have an empty (bagless) ALICE frame here. It currently holds a set of Enhanced LC2 shoulder straps in woodland, and a MOLLE II woodland ruck belt rigged up to be as tight as possible... ordered a couple of the LC1 cargo shelves, should be here in a few days. What I am thinking to do with this.. is to sew up a 10" tall, 12-13" wide, 6-7" deep bag that has MOLLE on the sides, to go on the bottom od the frame, and put one of the two cargo shelves on the middle cross bar, and build it so that I can have an ammo can full of magazines up top, strapped to the rig, with soft/light goods in the bottom, and the ability to attach a shooting mat/pad on it? It would also employ a padded upper shoulder area.

In theory, it would be a slightly smaller version of the Vietnam era Light Weight Rucksack that could have a radio/ammo can lashed to the top of the frame.

The idea is a pack that has the ammo and hard goods up top, and light stuff below.. unlike every "range backpack" I see that puts all the heavy weight on the bottom.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the advantage either way?
Using the ALICE frame to carry, say a 50 cal can full of ammo, and a bag slightly bigger than the buttpack below to carry lightweight stuff will do worlds better than most range backpacks that either have a dinky framesheet or no frame to support the ammo weight.

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
45 Posts
I meant what's the advantage of having the weight higher or lower on the frame?

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant what's the advantage of having the weight higher or lower on the frame?
Heavy weight up top puts balance closer to center of gravity, especially in the case of the ALICE frame which sits at an angle to the back due to the standoff at the kidneys/waist area. If you put heavy on bottom, but light on the top, then its far more likely to pull your shoulders backwards and put a lot more stress on your body because you'd need to lean much more forward. Only with a great lumbar hip belt design would it be able to support the weight right at the hips versus the shitty ALICE kidney pad design :rolleyes:

The ALICE frame design... putting the heavy shit up top puts it right over your shoulders, next to the upper neck bone area, whereas if you put heavy shit on the bottom half, its already 4 inches or so away from your kidneys and torquing the shoulders backwards, and pushing into your kidneys.

·
Administrator
24,489 Posts
Heavy weight up top puts balance closer to center of gravity, especially in the case of the ALICE frame which sits at an angle to the back due to the standoff at the kidneys/waist area. If you put heavy on bottom, but light on the top, then its far more likely to pull your shoulders backwards and put a lot more stress on your body because you'd need to lean much more forward. Only with a great lumbar hip belt design would it be able to support the weight right at the hips versus the shitty ALICE kidney pad design :rolleyes:

The ALICE frame design... putting the heavy shit up top puts it right over your shoulders, next to the upper neck bone area, whereas if you put heavy shit on the bottom half, its already 4 inches or so away from your kidneys and torquing the shoulders backwards, and pushing into your kidneys.
You always knew who fucked up and bottom loaded their ruck on long hauls. I still top load even with my newer internal frame MarPat ruck. They came with a removable divider and bottom zippers...

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
You always knew who fucked up and bottom loaded their ruck on long hauls. I still top load even with my newer internal frame MarPat ruck. They came with a removable divider and bottom zippers...
Its like they never learned anything in basic or boot.

·
Premium Member
9,243 Posts
I was comm and electronics, back when electronics was analog. My ALICE was always top loaded....by default!

·
Premium Member
35,758 Posts
Its like they never learned anything in basic or boot.
Our drills didn’t really stress those ideas, despite most of them wearing CIB’s. I think they just decided they’d let us figure it out the hard way. Not that we had that much to carry, nor did we carry it far. I’m sure the 11B guys would have done a better job of taking care of that.

I was a squad leader in basic, so I tried to explain it to my guys, but the Army isn’t always built with the smartest guys.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
Our drills didn’t really stress those ideas, despite most of them wearing CIB’s. I think they just decided they’d let us figure it out the hard way. Not that we had that much to carry, nor did we carry it far. I’m sure the 11B guys would have done a better job of taking care of that.

I was a squad leader in basic, so I tried to explain it to my guys, but the Army isn’t always built with the smartest guys.
We had a packing list and we packed our gear tougher as a platoon. Step by step we were told how to pack.

·
Administrator
24,489 Posts
We had a packing list and we packed our gear tougher as a platoon. Step by step we were told how to pack.
Sort of similar with the Corps. Our "list" was our heavy and we packed at his pace. Then unpacked, and repacked, then unpacked again, aaand repacked some more... You see the pattern.

·
Premium Member
35,758 Posts
My basic was in ‘86, and we were all mechanics and typists/supply clerks. I guess they didn’t worry about us being able to pack much.

·
Premium Member
9,243 Posts

·
Administrator
24,489 Posts
My basic was in ‘86, and we were all mechanics and typists/supply clerks. I guess they didn’t worry about us being able to pack much.
The joys of being from the land of hot chow and running water...

Reactions: ajole
1 - 14 of 14 Posts