Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
Being in the computer industry I thought I'd offer some tips and ideas.

1. Anti-virus software AVG http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition The free version works great and is not a memory/wallet hog like Norton.

2. Find a site that allows for ccleaner http://www.download.com/ccleaner/ free download. It's AMAZING how much junk this thing cleans out. The only problem after running it is that you have to re-login to each site, In other words, if you have these forums set for "login in forever" it won't work anymore AFTER you run the cleaner. So....if you run it once a week you only have to re-login after you run ccleaner.

3. Spybot - another free version http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

4. Ad-Aware - very similar to Spybot but they tend to find stuff that the other doesn't http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Hopefully helpful.

Craig

G

·
and don't install everything you see on the internet - read what you are clicking
and remove the 10 toolbars that you have already installed on your browser! lol

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
WR2, what is your opinion of Avast antivirus?

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
I have heard avast is the way to go, I am still using AVG, but when my free subscription on my new laptop is over I am installing avast on it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I used to use AVG, and faithfully kept it updated. But it let a couple slip thru. Took it out and installed Avira's Antivir, it found them and cleaned things up just fine. For a freebie, its quite good.

·
Registered
586 Posts
WR2, what is your opinion of Avast antivirus?
that's what I've been using for years, and half my friends are IT people that use it as well. When the free trial ends, click to get another key, voila! non-stop free trial.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Avast is what I have used for years and have never had a virus. AVG let everything in under the sun, so I ditched it. Avira is supposed to be very good, but it is also prone to false positives and slowing down your system. Avast doesn't put much of a hit on your resources, so if you're a gamer like me, that's pretty important. I hate being in the middle of a game and suddenly things slow down to a crawl as your AV is checking a huge texture file or something similar.

Also, for malware, check out Malware Bytes, the free version does an excellent job of cleaning up crud that both Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware can't seem to touch or sometimes even find..... http://www.malwarebytes.org/

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I think AVG is going down the pooper, with each new version it gets fatter and clumsier. Avast is alright, it used to crash constantly and for whatever reason their update server used to be down a lot (it's been several years since I've used it though). Avira used to be good back before it was called Avira, but it sucks pretty hard now.

The absolute best advice for computing is...ditch Windows and use Linux!

The only thing I use Windows for anymore is gaming, and I just keep a whole drive image saved on a USB drive with all my games and whatnot in it. I don't worry about viruses and crap, if Wind0ze starts screwing up I just restore it from the USB drive and it's all better again. I can play Guild Wars and WoW just fine through Ubuntu though.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
The only thing I use Windows for anymore is gaming, and I just keep a whole drive image saved on a USB drive with all my games and whatnot in it. I don't worry about viruses and crap, if Wind0ze starts screwing up I just restore it from the USB drive and it's all better again. I can play Guild Wars and WoW just fine through Ubuntu though.
Huh :blink: ?

:D

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I don't use Windows OS, but I did have my wife install avast, ccleaner and spybot s&d quite a while ago. They seem to all be good at what they were made for. My 18 yr old, 15 yr old and 8 yr old all use Linux like me.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey - thanks for all the alternative suggestions!!! I'll check them out.

I'm not likely to go where "everyman" has gone before, lol. So it's never been a big problem for me. My Internet useage is pretty much confined to business sites and sites like this so the solutions I suggested keep me up and running with little to no problems.

Cheers - Craig

G

·
cleanup
ccleaner (used to be called "Crap Cleaner")

malwarebytes
superantispyware don't be fooled by the name, it's a pretty good program. Use the free version.
good ole spybot search & destroy
*install and make sure updates are run

I've used AVG, haven't been too impressed with it lately, I've been using Avira and like it alot. Ad-Aware, I haven't used that in more than a year now.

this is what WarChilde does. Run cleanup, ccleaner and all three spyware programs, uninstall mbam and spybot (hate the teatimer and resident shield, leave those unchecked when installing). I have superantispyware professional which blocks what my antivirus doesn't catch.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
You forgot to mention Firefox. Or hell, any browser that isn't Internet Explorer.
I've been rocking Google Chrome for quite a while now. When it first came out, it had issues with Java and Flash, but everything seems to be pretty well sorted out now. It renders pages very quickly, which is a major plus if you're impatient like me.

I still keep IE7 around, but I hardly ever use it. Once or twice I've run across a page that just doesn't quite mesh with Chrome, but for the most part IE is collecting dust. I don't really think it's a bad browser, it's just not as good as some of the others.

The only people at use Opera are geeks in their mom's basement trying to be cooler than you by using a more obscure browser.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I run both Linux and Windows and someday I'll try BSD.

For Windows I suggest Kapersky AV, best that I've seen yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.