FREEDOM MUNITIONS, would you use these?

Discussion in 'Consumer Reviews' started by clickclick, Dec 30, 2014.

1. I just got my order from Freedom Munitions...took 2 weeks but I understand it is the Holiday season.

Open the very 1st box, out of 40 of them (62#'s worth!!), and this is what I see... :eek: I did open a few other random boxes and they appear to look fine.

Are these even safe to shoot? If not, what do you do with hacked up, smooshed up bullets? They are NOT remans, they are NEW, and made by someone evidently a little too "press happy"...

My 995 shoots anything, but as for this? I'm a little nervous...should I be?

[​IMG]

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I wouldn't shoot em..... Bound to have some funky over pressure on those shorter ones..... I'd get on the horn with Freedom, I bet they'll make it right.

3. I emailed them, with the same picture, to see what they want to do.

I can't call them until I get out of work.

4. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Looks like either the crimp was not correct or they got pushed in during shipping.
    I would not shoot them... that's an over pressure waiting to happen.

5. No, I'm definitely not going to shoot them.

Not 100% sure what an "overpressure" is, but it does not sound like it is a pleasant experience for the shooter or the gun. :eek:

6. djwalley

djwalley Member

Personally Use Freedom -- Would as Good to Excellent!

I cannot speak to this shipment, but I have ordered about 3K 9 MM 124 gr FMJ rounds from Freedom and I have not had 1 problem.

I would not shoot these and let Freedom have a chance to make it right...

Good luck!!!

7. Thanks. I'm giving them a chance and hoping it works out.

Are you saying you would not shoot the ones pictured, or NONE of them?

8. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

I have shot a bunch of freedom munitions ammo. None of it looked like that. The ammo you have is not tapered at all. If the ammo had been tapered it would not look like that. Freedom Munitions needs to move into 2014 and start roll crimping their ammo.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  9. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I'd check em all, but definitely not the pushed in ones....

10. colthrash

colthrash Member

do you have a micrometer? you could measure the overall length of the ammo in question and compare it to some factory new ammo. a rule of thumb I use is if you can see the difference with the naked eye, don't use it. based on what I can see in the picture some of the ammo is too tall, and some of it is too short?? only a couple look right to me. (and those should be measured also) those in the picture are really off.

11. djwalley

djwalley Member

I would check them all -- I would definitely not shoot any from the box you opened.. Possibly the whole shipment... Again my experience with them has been positive... Good Luck

12. Yes, I have a nice micrometer at work. Also, I have some Federal and PMC I can compare to.

2000 rounds...ughhhh...That's going to take a while.

Especially with the wife nagging me about buying a gun safe...lol.

13. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    2K rounds is 40 boxes. If you really don't want to inspect all of them, one approach would be to pull ten boxes at random and look for any with the kind of visible wrong you saw in the ones in your picture. If you get any bad boxes check all of the rest. Best to do it before you talk to them further.

If they give you any grief about it, tell them gee they get such good reviews on the many forums you visit and you guess you'll just have to give everybody a heads up on their now questionable quality control ;)

14. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

I'll be sure to check my order when it gets here. Ordered 250 9mm and a box of hp .45acp

15. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    The pressure rating for a given bullet weight and powder load combo is based upon the powder occupying a specified volume within the case. When the bullet gets seated too deeply, it reduces the volume within which expanding gasses from the burning powder occupy.

Reducing the volume of the container for the detonating charge of powder, by seating bullets too deeply, raises the pressure to levels higher than those for which the round is rated. That is an overpressure situation.

16. HP/C9/45ACP

HP/C9/45ACP Member

I too use Freedom Munitions ammo usually factory reloads and have never had a problem with quality. I'll bet Freedom will take care of you and be happy you informed them of problems.

17. I hope you're right. I will update as soon as I hear back from them, and the end result.

18. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I'm jumping on the wagon.

I think anyammo you buy, new or other wise needs to be visually checked.

I have heard aluminum ammo can get "shortened" easier in shipping than others. Reloaders might explain that.

19. These things stuck out like a sore thumb. All I did was slide the plastic holder out of the box and it was immediately obvious there was something wrong...

Still no word from them either...:(

20. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

I wouldn't shoot any of the ammo. FM can either send a return label, take the ammo back and send me some decent ammo or I would call my credit card company to file a complaint. To many legit complaints and FM will be selling ammo by bitcoin.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014