Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,307 Posts
Well, that makes sense....Austrian Germans are different from other Germans. Just ask a German.

But then, EVERY part of Germany thinks that of every other part.;)
Some of them can't even understand each other's version of daily spoken German.
Before Napoleon, were there something like 300 dukedoms and duchys and princpates and such? One of the guys I taught with had family in Germany - somewhere - and he spoke fluent German. However, many of our German exchange students couldn't understand him.

·
Premium Member
8,413 Posts
Before Napoleon, were there something like 300 dukedoms and duchys and princpates and such? One of the guys I taught with had family in Germany - somewhere - and he spoke fluent German. However, many of our German exchange students couldn't understand him.
Why Dad's side of the family left Germany, the constant wars between fiefdoms were destroying their ability to eat. Also destroyed and burned the church where the family records were kept so we can't trace that side back any further than my great great grandparents. The records were lost and the family name is way to common in that area.

Reactions: adam01364

·
Premium Member
8,413 Posts
Well, that makes sense....Austrian Germans are different from other Germans. Just ask a German.

But then, EVERY part of Germany thinks that of every other part.;)
Some of them can't even understand each other's version of daily spoken German.
I learned High German in high school, High German is the pure version without the local dialect additions. But it wasn't the same as what was spoken in the town I grew up in! Local was a mix of German and Dutch... with some English tossed in for fun. Old ladies walkig down the street would switch to it and talk about you... until I turned around and gave it back to them. Most of us picked up enough of it to go back at the old biddies!

·
Premium Member
8,413 Posts
I wasn't old back then THPPPT!

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Super Moderator
9,227 Posts
Why Dad's side of the family left Germany, the constant wars between fiefdoms were destroying their ability to eat. Also destroyed and burned the church where the family records were kept so we can't trace that side back any further than my great great grandparents. The records were lost and the family name is way to common in that area.
Similar story here, family left due to constant fighting destroying everything, and the records burnt to a crisp. For all I know I could be Hispanic and not Teutonic. ;)

·
Administrator
28,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Sounds exactly how she described making them!!! I sent her the link for her to compare.
Thanks alot Kirk, now I'm gonna have to get busy making some of those. My wife will be all over me. She cleans as she cooks, I wait til all is done to clean up and I'll hear about it.

All joking aside, thanks for the recipe, I'm gonna make some of those for us this weekend.
I tried out this recipe the other night. I used some chicken stock that I had and augmented it with some chicken bouillon to flesh it up to 10 cups. Used some shredded chicken from a can also. Turned out great. My family wasn't as enthralled with it. Oh I've said it was just okay and my boy didn't like it because he expects dumplings to be, well, dumplings not many pea size dumplings or whatever. Daughter was already fed so she didn't want any. I had a couple bowls and froze the rest for lunches. I'm looking forward to it.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
my boy didn't like it because he expects dumplings to be, well, dumplings not many pea size dumplings or whatever.
My mom (Welsh) used to make those round, fluffy dumplings as well as flat pastry like dumplings, depending on the mood she was in. Then she found she could take soft tortilla wraps and cut them into strips...no more dumpling making took place!!! The tortilla wrap strip dumplings were good, but not better than homemade.

She also tried to get us to eat Blancmange, some sort of white dish from France. Me and my brother would run away from the table!!!

·
Premium Member
36,332 Posts
My mom (Welsh) used to make those round, fluffy dumplings as well as flat pastry like dumplings, depending on the mood she was in. Then she found she could take soft tortilla wraps and cut them into strips...no more dumpling making took place!!! The tortilla wrap strip dumplings were good, but not better than homemade.

She also tried to get us to eat Blancmange, some sort of white dish from France. Me and my brother would run away from the table!!!

Dude. Blancmange is just pudding, often almond flavored. You idiots ran away from dessert!🤣
It’s more like flan, or sort of halfway between pudding and gelatin. No eggs, so not custard....

61 - 70 of 70 Posts