Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

About October is my best time to start winterizing the car, rotating gear, &c. Make sure your food supplies in your vehicle are winter ready (space in you water bottles to they don't burst if they freeze). Check your firestarting kits. Throw your cold weather gear in your car if you took it out for the warm season. Check flashlight batteries. Throw some deicer in your car as well. How are your tires doing?

Since it's time for furnaces and fireplaces double check your smoke alarm/carbon monoxide detector. Is your fire extinguisher ready to go? Does your BOB have extra socks and warm clothes? Do you need to change out the footwear in your bags for warmer boots? What's your plan for power outages in colder weather? Backup heating options? Should you pick up a couple of extra hand warmers and space blankets?

If you know where you can grab a handful of roofing shingles they're dandy for getting cars out of snow drifts; just place them under the wheels for traction. You do have a small shovel in your BOV don't you? What about blankets and sleeping bags?

If you haven't stored any extra fuel around or if your reserves are low, think about getting it now. If you're low on fuel for your Coleman devices or haven't bought Sterno in a while, it wouldn't be a bad idea. I've been so concerned about keeping ammunition in stock over the last several months that a lot of other prep work went by the wayside.

You people that live in the South or Southwest... um... I don't know what you do to prep for winter. Double check that your lawn chair can whether sub-60 degree temps? :angel:

As I spent all of September working like crazy for the Gov't, the cold snap we've been having here caught me a little off guard.

What other things do you guys do to get ready for winter?

-'bridge

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
For us winter is when god fixes the air conditioning. Its NICE and cool.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I put my ice scraper back in my truck yesterday. A little part of me died inside when I did.

I give my truck a once-over at every oil change, when the cold weather starts to roll in I always check my coolant mixture and condition. A lot of people over look that and it's something that can stop your car in its tracks.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Put my shorts away and see if I can still fit into my long pants. Oops, almost forgot. Use outdoor shooting ranges again. That's about it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Why would i keep food and water in my car?as far as some of the other things you
mentioned wouldn't hurt but winter dont last too long in middle ga.our weather
has got to the most screwed up than any other state.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I keep food and water in my car because the Gov't sends me into the most remote regions of the state they can find and if something bad happened I'd hate to have to hoof it back home on an empty stomach, seeing as how everyone in this section of the country would be armed to the teeth and not looking to give handouts.

-'b

·
Registered
855 Posts
Was starting the winterizing on the vehicles this weekend and in the process of heading to Advance my alternator gave out on my Ram and fried both of my batteries! Actually blew the vent block off the secondary battery! Made it to advance....$250 for batteries and $150 for the alternator. The original batterieas lasted almost 7yrs and 146K miles..... and it all went out together!

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Why would i keep food and water in my car?as far as some of the other things you
mentioned wouldn't hurt but winter dont last too long in middle ga.our weather
Do you not remember the Ice storm in Dec 2005? I was out working for 3 days and was glad I had food and water with me then. No power roads blocked with trees and power lines and poles.

·
Registered
799 Posts
mentioned wouldn't hurt but winter don't last too long in middle ga.our weather
Did you really just ask that in a survival thread in a gun forum?
Better be careful or we will revoke your zombie hunting privileges.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
hehe..."winterizing"....

That means I get to wear a long sleeve shirt once in a while :D

Seriously, in Arizona, Winter is the mildest of all seasons. It's summers where we get near 120 degrees that cause chaos, and then the monsoons follow those months. Right now and until about March, it's the time where we here get a break from Mother Nature. Sure, the desert gets cold, but rarely does it hit freezing if but for 2 weeks out of the year, only to heat up to about 60 degrees during the day. And that's on the worst days. The summer is when autos here start blowing head gaskets, tires, and start having critical seals go out due to lack of moisture and extreme heat. Winter is quite the relief on our machinery.

THIS is why I moved back to Phoenix :cool2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.