Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

From enough gear that can fit into a backpack, she establishes links from the US all the way to South America and Italy! How awesome is that...and without sat links or land lines! Just 20m of cable and a transceiver. I'm not too versed in HF radio but I know we have a few geeks on here who dig on it. Worth showing because even in a SHTF situation, there is no need to be without connectivity!

And...she's cute :embarrassed2: geek cutie with brains...yum....

Now, to find the info and vid that shows how to set up an internet link over radio...

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Radio communication for short and long range is critical in a long term survival aspect. Stuff that you rely on (fuel, hard goods, machinery, and all the sources of trade) have to come from somewhere. Sure, in the immediate future your survival is first and foremost. But, to understand how industry works is to understand how critical a problem is, and where to go and NOT to go when you're on the move. Planning on "bugging out" to a geologically stable region (Say, if you're going from Los Angeles to Phoenix during a massive earthquake?) and all the sudden, you start getting reports of massive overcrowding? Best to know before you start crossing the desert.

Also, weather does it's thing no matter what mankind throws around. Weather reports from regions where you are NOT are a very good thing. If there is a massive storm front battling Baja, and you're in New Mexico or Arizona, that gives you a day or two and several hundred miles to prepare. Conversely, you can get wind if a major flood or event has taken out a bridge or other such corridor by just scanning the airwaves, making sure your route ahead isn't blocked.

Voice is also not the only thing that can be sent over the radio. Morse code and, in a similar vein small-packet data transmission, can be sent over radio as well. It's not broadband internet, but a fax or text info can be sent over various radio communication networks just as well (what do you think a cellphone is....it's a RADIO!)

HAM radio also has the feature of being able to be sent around the world. This gives you unlimited length to communications that WILL not be dependent on an infastructure. If a critical event were to happen to an entire country, HAM is the method a government would use to communicate with as many of it's citizens to get critical systems back up and running. It would quickly become the internet of the moment. Knowing were Red Cross stations, military outposts and relief depots would be the order of the day on those types of transmissions.

Last but not least: HAM is not a secured system, which means anyone can listen in. This is good to hear who is around, and just how they feel about things before you have to encounter them. It's one of the best ways to eavesdrop without putting yourself in harm's way.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I totally agree Neo and I was just making a joke because all she appeared to be carrying on her day hike was the radio gear. We just don't do that in the mountains in these parts. Weather and conditions can change in an instant.
Well I'm pretty sure for where she was at (Bay Area) there is really no way to be more than 15 minutes from the city. It's pretty densely populated, and from what I remember living there for 6 months, even when you think you're TOTALLY alone....about 10 other d-bags are trompsing through the area at the same time. That and the weather is almost as predictable as the Valley here in Phoenix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.