front sight hi lighting ?

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by RedBird94, Dec 8, 2014.

1. RedBird94

RedBird94 Member

just picked up my 4595.. Until I can get a scope mounted, would like to do something with the stock sights. Maybe hi lite the front with white or day glow. Something to give a little contrast. Maybe help the aging eyes thing. Pictures would be helpful

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Take the wife to walmart. Why? So you don't look like a Mo when browsing the fingernail polish department. Any color imaginable, durable as all hell and each one comes with it's own brush.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Whiteout. Office supplies. Works great, easy to remove.

4. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

Fingernail polish for me. Bright, cheap and it lasts a while.

5. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Do you use the sparkly stuff?

6. cicpup

Vermont
    Maybe. I might have done a glittery purple rollmark. What's it to ya? And don't knock a pearlescent front sight till you've tried it.

7. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

No, I use white "Lee Hard as Nails". You can get it at family dollar real cheap. A bottle will last several lifetimes. Get a bottle of clear too. The clear works almost as good as locktite. Fingernail polish will not damage the threads on screws you have to remove often.

8. I prefer to go to the hobby shop & get my paint. Currently I'm sold on flourescent green, which is similar to that worn by highway workers. Easy to apply & more durable that the "white out" typing correction stuff. :cool:

9. cicpup

Vermont
    Yup. Nothing wrong with model paint either.

10. planosteve

My niece used the pearl sparkly stuff on her heritage SA 22. It worked pretty good too.

11. Not at all - I have used it before; but lately all I have seen was gloss, and I prefer flat as it never glares in bright light. :cool:

12. cicpup

Vermont
    Catches the sunlight. Looks like you're shooting at fairies.

13. planosteve

Never thought of it that way.

14. RedBird94

RedBird94 Member

did have a white sharpie paint pen just to get an idea of how it would look. Think it will work fine. Some day glo paint and I'm there. Thanks everyone

15. I used to use white & it worked well - until I shot a match with a white target & very faint (invisible from even 7 yds) scoring rings. I tried international orange & learned it disappeared in dim light - back to a black sight & poor visibility. Eventually I settled on flourescent/neon green, about what you see highway workers wearing. So far it has worked well in all light conditions, against all target colors. :cool:

16. Go with black and a bright dot, the front sight on a HP should be easy to modify. If not mill it off and replace with a dovetail 1911 front sight.

17. HP/C9/45ACP

HP/C9/45ACP Member

I used yellow finger polish on the front sight and red finger polish on the rear sight of my Phoenix Arms HP22A. The fingernail polish has been on it for probably over a year and still holding up great. Much easier to see the sights than it was with the original black sights and shows up well against most natural backgrounds and targets.

18. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

HECK!!! No one would bat an eye at it now days. :rolleyes:

19. RedBird94

RedBird94 Member

Will try and find a florescent green paint pen. my Trijicon night sights are that color. You can see them in any light.

20. TRWXXA

TRWXXA Member

Sure. Everyone has got a CNC machine just lying around. :rolleyes:

Of course if you are one of the unfortunate few who don't have a metal shop in the spare bedroom, you can always try these...

NiteSiters

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014