Frustration and Venting: BSA Merit Badge Counselor Application

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Apr 1, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

[Rant/Blowing-Off-Steam]

As many of you know, I've been working for an obscenely and ridiculously long time to be approved as a BSA Rifle Shooting Merit Badge Counselor. The requisite training took 3-4 times longer than should be be expected to receive a "simple" NRA Rifle Instructor training and certification. I did get NRA Range Safety Officer certified along the way, so that's an additional plus not normally "required." I was trying to go through a local(ish) BSA training program. But the guys running it are hard to contact, don't communicate well, and only offer the requisite training on a sporadic basis. I wanted to go through them because it supports BSA, the training was directed as strongly as possible toward Boy Scouts while staying within the NRA training requirements, and because it was being offered at a slight discount. But I just couldn't get it done in my lifetime, well, at least not while my boy is still in Scouts. <sigh> So I ended up finding some other training center which, while full price, at least I got into the class in a reasonable period of time and get the cert. ...finally. After more than a year since beginning my training journey! I started saving for (and selling some guns) to fund it in Feb. 2013! I was finally able get the actual class I needed... in June 2014 (notice the year changed?) from 3G Tactical, a non-BSA affiliated training center.

Within a day or two, I had my electronic certification from the NRA. I printed certifications, copied NRA membership card, filled out BSA application forms, gave 'em to the troop Scout Master, and he submitted them. Even assuming both he and I were lazy and forgetful, that couldn't have meant that it would have been later than August or September, at absolute worst, before the paperwork hit the desk of the District Executive (Sunwatch, Ohio). But I didn't hear anything. ... And I didn't hear anything. ... And I didn't hear anything.

I asked the Scout Master (a stand up guy) and he warned me that the District could be a little "inefficient" sometimes, so I waited longer. [insert picture here of Kirk with his thumb jammed up it and a frustrated look on his face]

Finally, I asked again and SM says that it should never take this long and I should contact the District Executive. Late January. His contact info is on the web page but both his voice mail and web-mail are, apparently, run by an evil race of faeries because I didn't get any reply. Eventually I accidentally managed to get through to him by phone (the faeries must have been on coffee break and let me slip through). "What's the status on my application?" "Huh? What application? I never got an application! Maybe it was lost." It's BS. I know the SM sent it in. So the District Executive is giving me the equivalent "the dog ate my homework."

Make new copies, fill out a new application, and, on February 12, 2015 (notice the change of year AGAIN?!?!), email it in from a highly secure email address and CC to my gmail address to ensure that there was mail transport. Gmail has my CC.

Care to make a guess as to what I've heard back, a month and half later, from the District Executive?
    [insert picture here of Kirk with his thumb jammed up it and an angry look on his face]

So I'm sending more communiques, and marking them as important so that he can begin ignoring them immediately.

I've come to find out that this is, apparently, his normal modus operandi.

[​IMG]

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Lol..... Sorry to laugh at your misfortune, that is frustrating, when you spend your own time and money to volunteer for something, and you get blown off....

3. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

I feel your pain. While I think the concept of BSA is great, I finally walked away from the organization due to "differences of opinion".

When I was 13, I had a great interest in flying and learned that the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) had a cadet program that allowed members at 13 years old. There was some conflicts between the BSA activities and the cadet basic training in the summer. My BSA counselor informed me that I "couldn't" join the CAP because it wasn't an "approved" BSA activity. (Yeah, I know, he was being a dork and was wrong, but I was only 13 at the time.)

So I quit the BSA and joined the CAP. Best decision of my life. I learned discipline, self sufficiency, and leadership skills that got me to where I am today. CAP, through the Air Force, gave me survival skills, learned how to fly, how to handle myself in emergencies, international exchange programs, jet training (T33 and TF102) and eventually became a wing commander and a boot camp commander.

I bet if you were to contact the local CAP squadron, they would love to have someone put on rifle shooting classes for the cadets.

4. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

They piss me off. One of our kids was in it and Evil ended up being the troop leader. The other parents sucked the kids where brats and the leadership didn't do crap. We teach our kids now the way we where and are trained. We take a course the kids learn it. Dangerous little monsters they are ;-)

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

One of my Judo Brothers' kid is in Young Marines and they're wooing me to run an NRA Basic Rifle class for them.

I'm not giving up on BSA yet because my boy and lots of his friends are still in.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Well darned Kirk, that....that almost sounds like gubberment

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yep. Don't I know it! And this is coming from a guy who actually works for the government!

8. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

That sucks, Kirk. I had my answer back in 2 weeks, but I cheated. When I took my Troop to camp for a merit badge workshop the Baden-Powell Council had 2 of their officers there with their own kids and I handed them my paperwork directly at the morning SM meeting with the Camp Director. It also came with character references from my SM and 3 members of the Camp Tuscarora Staff, including the then current shooting sports director.

9. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Aha! I knew you were one of us!

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Sorta.

Contractor (green CAC) for DoD at WPAFB in AFRL.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Wright-Patterson, huh? ;)

12. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I was in CAP as a communicator. We built an old WWII army ambulance into a mobile communications center. Did some SAR, got to fly light aircraft but then I started working at 14 and lost time for it.

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Do you work on the alien spacecraft? :foilhat: :foilhat: :foilhat: :foilhat:

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

<nods>

Flyboy was out here too before his xfer.

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

<looks over shoulder>
    Ummm... I have been directed to inform you that there is no such thing as aliens nor is there anything in hangar 18. In fact there is no such thing as hangar 18. Wright Patterson Air Force Base may actually be a phantasm.

16. Branth

Branth Member

I was getting a pretty aggressive sales pitch from a pair of BSA guys looking for summer camp counselors at the local career fair. We chatted a bit and they really seemed to want me to go, until I let them know I wouldn't be able to because of the current prohibition on gay scout masters. A couple of awkward coughs later and I was on my way.

I was in Cub scouts when I was younger. I graduated to Boy Scouts, but that didn't last long. It was alright, but there was some personality conflict with older scouts and I just lost interest.

17. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Did several SAR missions myself. I was also a spotter for the Forestry boys through CAP. I did the clearance pass over the water to make sure the belly scoop tankers wouldn't suck up a log when they did their runs. Flew an L-16.

[​IMG]

This wasn't the exact plane I flew, but a close duplicate.

18. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Time to hand deliver the application to the 'alleged powers' to be.

eldar

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Exactly. They are all pretty public offices, just walk in and ask to see the guy(s) in charge. But call first, they tend to be out and about.

There's really not much to it. If the district can't get it done, the council would be the next step.

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

You may be right (I may be crazy). I'll have to take time off of work to do so. You know how crazy my schedule is.

Aggravates me, no end. <grrr>

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk