Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
995ST
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No matter what I try, I cannot get away from ftf in my carbine. The rifle is new, barely 300 rounds through it. I can occasionally shoot through a full magazine, but mostly I get hung up and have to clear the firearm. I shoot all reloads. 115gr plated round nose.
Light Purple Wood Flooring Gas
Over 6.4 gr of AA5
Open to suggestions. Using factory mags and I almost made I through a RedBall 20 rd mag.
Rifle had a complete cleaning and I even slicked up some rough spots on the feed ramp.
Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design Carbon Auto part
Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Luggage and bags Gas
Wood Gas Natural material Cone Ammunition
Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design Carbon Auto part
I
Wood Finger Nail Ammunition Bullet

Registered
How about some pictures of the spent casings that actually did fire correctly and some pictures of some that failed to fire?

Are the FTFs first reloads or have they been reloaded multiple times?

馃崁
Best Always,
Celt

Premium Member
Looks like hanging up in the magazine or the magazine is not fully inserted and locked in. Those rounds are pretty nose high up.

Registered
995ST
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about some pictures of the spent casings that actually did fire correctly and some pictures of some that failed to fire?

Are the FTFs first reloads or have they been reloaded multiple times?

馃崁
Best Always,
Celt
Second load using once fired brass.
Automotive lighting Ammunition Tints and shades Bullet Magenta
Cosmetics Ammunition Bullet Wood Salt and pepper shakers
Liquid Nail polish Cosmetics Nail care Finger
Rectangle Material property Tints and shades Magenta Metal
Eye Material property Font Button Wood

Registered
995ST
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like hanging up in the magazine or the magazine is not fully inserted and locked in. Those rounds are pretty nose high up.
Using new factory magazines. All four mags experienced FTF at some point during range session. Magazine was verified for insertion and fully locked into position.
Explain what is meant by 鈥渞ounds are nose high up鈥?
Thanks, Jay

No Longer Here
Using new factory magazines. All four mags experienced FTF at some point during range session. Magazine was verified for insertion and fully locked into position.
Explain what is meant by 鈥渞ounds are nose high up鈥?
Thanks, Jay
Just means your bullet jammed above the chamber which indicates, to me, that: your mags might not be fully seated, your feed lips could need to be adjusting in, or your guide tabs could need similar inward adjusting to prevent the nose of the round from bouncing up off the ramp.

I know you said you verified that your mag was locked in place but it's a common enough occurrence for us to hear about this issue and "solve" it by having the shooter push up on the base plate of the magazine during live fire to confirm, because the mag catch let's the magazine hang down just enough that it doesn't allow for a proper pickup of the next round. That would cause your issue of a nose high feed failure, because instead of driving the nose up the ramp, it drives the rim down in to the magazine and essentially stands the bullet up.

Registered
If it were me, since you have verified that the mags are fully inserted into the magazine well and locked into the handle and flush with the bottom of the handle:

Follow Rachgier's advice.

1) Switch from reloads to Blazer Brass Model 5200 115 grain FMJ and run several full factory mags and a Red Ball through the gun, making sure that the mags are fully inserted and locked into the well. Reloads may be the problem.

2) Make sure that each cartridge is fully inserted into the mag and is all the way back toward the rear wall of the mag and parallel to the upper mag retainer lips before inserting the next cartridge.

3) If following 1 and 2 does not lead to satisfactory operation, contact Strassel for instructions on returning for repair.

馃崁
Celt

No Longer Here
If it were me, since you have verified that the mags are fully inserted into the magazine well and locked into the handle and flush with the bottom of the handle:

Maybe it's me, and I'm not saying it's the case here, but doesn't it seem like we're running in to more sagging mag issues now that they "upgraded" some of the C9 internals with this whole Gen 1 Yeet Cannon thing? I'm wondering if the mag catch might have been one of those upgrades.

Registered
Maybe it's me, and I'm not saying it's the case here, but doesn't it seem like we're running in to more sagging mag issues now that they "upgraded" some of the C9 internals with this whole Gen 1 Yeet Cannon thing? I'm wondering if the mag catch might have been one of those upgrades.
Yes it does. At some point the root cause of all this will be discovered. Sometimes, you just have to leave well enough alone. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Registered
995ST
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

1) Switch from reloads to Blazer Brass Model 5200 115 grain FMJ and run several full factory mags and a Red Ball through the gun, making sure that the mags are fully inserted and locked into the well. Reloads may be the problem.

2) Make sure that each cartridge is fully inserted into the mag and is all the way back toward the rear wall of the mag and parallel to the upper mag retainer lips before inserting the next cartridge.

3) If following 1 and 2 does not lead to satisfactory operation, contact Strassel for instructions on returning for repair.

馃崁
Celt
I鈥檒l give the commercial ammo a try, just to rule out my reloads as a culprit. But I do pride myself on the ammunition I produce as it matches commercial rounds on appearance and performance.

I use the Hi-point speed loader, seems to work very well at placing each cartridge into the proper alignment as rounds are inserted. I always finish loading a magazine by apply a gentle tap against the rear edge of the mag housing just to make sure rounds are seated rearward.

I am not opposed to sending rifle back for inspection and repair if that will correct this awful FTF issue. I wonder if there is something that can be done to improve the feeding out of the magazine that could help

jay

Registered
I鈥檒l give the commercial ammo a try, just to rule out my reloads as a culprit. But I do pride myself on the ammunition I produce as it matches commercial rounds on appearance and performance.

I use the Hi-point speed loader, seems to work very well at placing each cartridge into the proper alignment as rounds are inserted. I always finish loading a magazine by apply a gentle tap against the rear edge of the mag housing just to make sure rounds are seated rearward.

I am not opposed to sending rifle back for inspection and repair if that will correct this awful FTF issue. I wonder if there is something that can be done to improve the feeding out of the magazine that could help

jay
Glad to hear you are using the HP speed loader. That in itself solves a lot of mag loading issues.

Be sure to post results, positive or negative, using the Blazer Brass Model 5200 115 grain FMJ cartridges. It is the test cartridge used by Mom before she ships a new 995TS.

DO NOT USE WINCHESTER WHITE BOX.

Premium Member
Yep. Used to be tight mag lips, now it seems to be this.

Saved by Grace through Faith
Glad to hear you are using the HP speed loader. That in itself solves a lot of mag loading issues.
Two thumbs way up on this! (y)(y)

Reactions: Celtic

Premium Member
147gr RN can jam like that. It's even in the owner's manual 147 will do that. What's your OAL? I have no idea what is spec. Someone who reloads will.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts