Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

FTF 995ST Problem

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  histed 
#1 ·
No matter what I try, I cannot get away from ftf in my carbine. The rifle is new, barely 300 rounds through it. I can occasionally shoot through a full magazine, but mostly I get hung up and have to clear the firearm. I shoot all reloads. 115gr plated round nose.
Light Purple Wood Flooring Gas
Over 6.4 gr of AA5
Open to suggestions. Using factory mags and I almost made I through a RedBall 20 rd mag.
Rifle had a complete cleaning and I even slicked up some rough spots on the feed ramp.
Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design Carbon Auto part
Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Luggage and bags Gas
Wood Gas Natural material Cone Ammunition
Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design Carbon Auto part
I
Wood Finger Nail Ammunition Bullet

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
If it were me, since you have verified that the mags are fully inserted into the magazine well and locked into the handle and flush with the bottom of the handle:

Follow Rachgier's advice.

1) Switch from reloads to Blazer Brass Model 5200 115 grain FMJ and run several full factory mags and a Red Ball through the gun, making sure that the mags are fully inserted and locked into the well. Reloads may be the problem.

2) Make sure that each cartridge is fully inserted into the mag and is all the way back toward the rear wall of the mag and parallel to the upper mag retainer lips before inserting the next cartridge.

3) If following 1 and 2 does not lead to satisfactory operation, contact Strassel for instructions on returning for repair.

🍀
Celt

#10 ·
If it were me, since you have verified that the mags are fully inserted into the magazine well and locked into the handle and flush with the bottom of the handle:

Follow Rachgier's advice.

1) Switch from reloads to Blazer Brass Model 5200 115 grain FMJ and run several full factory mags and a Red Ball through the gun, making sure that the mags are fully inserted and locked into the well. Reloads may be the problem.

2) Make sure that each cartridge is fully inserted into the mag and is all the way back toward the rear wall of the mag and parallel to the upper mag retainer lips before inserting the next cartridge.

3) If following 1 and 2 does not lead to satisfactory operation, contact Strassel for instructions on returning for repair.

🍀
Celt
I’ll give the commercial ammo a try, just to rule out my reloads as a culprit. But I do pride myself on the ammunition I produce as it matches commercial rounds on appearance and performance.

I use the Hi-point speed loader, seems to work very well at placing each cartridge into the proper alignment as rounds are inserted. I always finish loading a magazine by apply a gentle tap against the rear edge of the mag housing just to make sure rounds are seated rearward.

I am not opposed to sending rifle back for inspection and repair if that will correct this awful FTF issue. I wonder if there is something that can be done to improve the feeding out of the magazine that could help

jay

#5 ·
Using new factory magazines. All four mags experienced FTF at some point during range session. Magazine was verified for insertion and fully locked into position.
Explain what is meant by “rounds are nose high up”?
Thanks, Jay

#15 ·
147gr RN can jam like that. It's even in the owner's manual 147 will do that. What's your OAL? I have no idea what is spec. Someone who reloads will.

#17 ·
Reactions: lklawson
#16 ·
I was about to give up on my 995ts, when I bought a Redball 20-round mag. It worked perfectly. So I then bought four more. They work great. This is now a reliable firearm. This made me happy.
The factory mags have all been disassembled and put into the recycling bin due to their uselessness. This made me unhappy.
Just my own personal experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.