Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, so im a new hipoint owner, a g1 9mm with the threaded barrel. I've fired so far 25 rounds through the gun. some lehigh 68 gr hand loads 1800 fps and some sellier and bellot 124 grain 1180 fps. both are about the same +p pressure, both about the same recoil energy. 124 gr was more reliable. anyway im getting it to where it wont extract, not even a stove pipe but its still in the gun horizontally, also i get stove pipes as well. many times it will also ftf with it nose diving down, this is if i load the magazine with more than 1 round. happens with the 8 and 10 round magazines. no reliability whats so ever, this is a glove box gun so i really need it to be reliable. now i was shooting suppressed so maybe its more reliable unsuppressed, i dont know. What can i do to fix these issues? the nose diving is a mag issue i know since theyre nose down and kinda rattle in the magazine. theres also a rattle in the slide, is that normal?

·
Super Moderator
26,177 Posts
Rule #1: Go shoot it. 25 rounds is nothing. I know you're frustrated but go shoot regular ammo without the suppressor. They're blowback action firearms and the springs need to be worked.

Rule #2: Don't take it apart to clean it until you've shot the hell out of it.

Nosedives... Load the mags full and leave them loaded, or plunge the follower a couple two, three hundred times to get the magazine springs to relax. Then go shoot it. HP's need a few hundred round break-in period.

Extraction issues. Make sure your extraction keys are cut square and not rounded. A little shot of lube could help. Chuck up your favorite bore brush in your favorite drill and give her a whirl in the chamber. It might have some sort of debris or a burr that could be causing your hang up.

Ejection issues. The firing pin is the ejector, don't cycle live ammo. Okay, now that that is out of the way, make sure the firing pin isn't bent. Shoot regular, unsuppressed ammo until she's broken in. Most C9's like the 124's.

Mag rattle. Smack the spine of the mag in the palm of your hand as you're going to seat the rounds to the rear, even some of my expensive firearm mags rattle.

The rattle in the handgun is normal. It's the drop safety. Leave it, take it out, up to you. If you're in a gun fight with a hi point, stealth has gone out the window so the rattle shouldn't matter. Better to know it's drop safe instead of quiet, but YMMV...

·
Resident PITA
16,244 Posts
Rule #1: Go shoot it. 25 rounds is nothing. I know you're frustrated but go shoot regular ammo without the suppressor. They're blowback action firearms and the springs need to be worked.

Nosedives... Load the mags full and leave them loaded, or plunge the follower a couple two, three hundred times to get the magazine springs to relax. Then go shoot it. HP's need a few hundred round break-in period.

Extraction issues. Make sure your extraction keys are cut square and not rounded. A little shot of lube could help. Chuck up your favorite bore brush in your favorite drill and give her a whirl in the chamber. It might have some sort of debris or a burr that could be causing your hang up.

Ejection issues. The firing pin is the ejector, don't cycle live ammo. Okay, now that that is out of the way, make sure the firing pin isn't bent. Shoot regular, unsuppressed ammo until she's broken in. Most C9's like the 124's.

Mag rattle. Smack the spine of the mag in the green of your hand as you're going to seat the rounds to the rear, even some of my expensive firearm mags rattle.

The rattle in the handgun is normal. It's the drop safety. Leave it, take it out, up to you. If you're in a gun fight with a hi point, stealth has gone out the window so the rattle shouldn't matter. Better to know it's drop safe instead of quiet, but YMMV...
You forgot one. What causes stovepipes? I don't want to say it because I'm tired of the denial.

Reactions: moona11

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,172 Posts
You forgot one. What causes stovepipes? I don't want to say it because I'm tired of the denial.
Thats because it could never haappen. Lol

·
Super Moderator
26,177 Posts
Especially if he's shooting +p ammo and flinching...

Reactions: Rerun

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Mag rattle. Smack the spine of the mag in the palm of your hand as you're going to seat the rounds to the rear, even some of my expensive firearm mags rattle.

The SB was regular ammo, basically Winchester white box but probably a little cleaner. Suppressors should back pressure and should in the short term increase reliability. I was just shooting it with the suppressor so the neighbors wouldn’t complain.
I don’t really want to dump several hundred rounds through the gun when the ammo would be worth more than the gun itself. I shouldn’t be having this many issues this frequently from the start. It isn’t bent and the extraction keys are fine too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Especially if he's shooting +p ammo and flinching...
I do not limp wrist, ever. Me limp wristing was not the issue here, a few times it was fine and it extracted but every time I also got the issue of it nose diving. This was even when only a few rounds were in the magazine.
I saw some guy on here saying I need to modify the follower not to get the nose dives, another guy on YouTube said I need to change the spring.
I don’t know which one’s right quite frankly.
Stove pipes I can choke up to a spring that’s too powerful/not worked in but I’m shooting +p ammo. This ammo is perfectly reliable in my ar9 which has a more powerful spring and a heavier bolt so maybe it’s not the spring. The extraction issue, I have no idea. A few times it wasn’t even a stove up as it didn’t extract out enough for that to happen.

·
Super Moderator
26,177 Posts
The SB was regular ammo, basically Winchester white box but probably a little cleaner. Suppressors should back pressure and should in the short term increase reliability. I was just shooting it with the suppressor so the neighbors wouldn’t complain.
I don’t really want to dump several hundred rounds through the gun when the ammo would be worth more than the gun itself. I shouldn’t be having this many issues this frequently from the start. It isn’t bent and the extraction keys are fine too.
So feel free to ignore the advice that has fixed hundreds of C9's and other HP firearms over the years. You're clearly the expert here.

It’s a little hard to limp wrist a 29 ounce gun with an 18 ounce suppressor dangling on the end when you’re firmly holding it with both hands
Never had a malfunction with my desert eagle, nor 1911, nor my cz nor my Glock.
Actually it's quite easy, but what do we know...

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,172 Posts
So feel free to ignore the advice that has fixed hundreds of C9's and other HP firearms over the years. You're clearly the expert here.

Actually it's quite easy, but what do we know...
Cic called it.

·
Premium Member
36,857 Posts
It’s a little hard to limp wrist a 29 ounce gun with an 18 ounce suppressor dangling on the end when you’re firmly holding it with both hands
Never had a malfunction with my desert eagle, nor 1911, nor my cz nor my Glock.
All locked breech guns….but sure.

Suppressors may make some guns more reliable. But if they’re dumping gasses and fouling into the new “unbroken in” action of a $200 blowback gun, they might not. Give the advice a try, and lose the can. Use commercial ammo. Let us know if it gets better, or worse.

·
Resident PITA
16,244 Posts
All locked breech guns….but sure.

Suppressors may make some guns more reliable. But if they’re dumping gasses and fouling into the new “unbroken in” action of a $200 blowback gun, they might not. Give the advice a try, and lose the can. Use commercial ammo. Let us know if it gets better, or worse.
While you're at it, make sure a double feed hasn't bent the firing pin. That will cause ejection failures.

·
Super Moderator
26,177 Posts
While you're at it, make sure a double feed hasn't bent the firing pin. That will cause ejection failures.
Covered that in my post. He said it wasn't somewhere between saying his S&B ammo was +p and insisting a firearm should be trusted as battle ready with a 25 round break in period...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Covered that in my post. He said it wasn't somewhere between saying his S&B ammo was +p and insisting a firearm should be trusted as battle ready with a 25 round break in period...
It wasn’t bent and my point was I shouldn’t be getting a malfunction every round for a new gun and according to some more research, yeah I’m going to need to modify the magazines. I shouldn’t have to modify factory mags to get to them work.
Yea the ammo is +p, for that bullet weight and velocity it would have to be, Hipoint says they’re rates for +p.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,172 Posts
hey, so im a new hipoint owner, a g1 9mm with the threaded barrel. I've fired so far 25 rounds through the gun. some lehigh 68 gr hand loads 1800 fps and some sellier and bellot 124 grain 1180 fps. both are about the same +p pressure, both about the same recoil energy. 124 gr was more reliable. anyway im getting it to where it wont extract, not even a stove pipe but its still in the gun horizontally, also i get stove pipes as well. many times it will also ftf with it nose diving down, this is if i load the magazine with more than 1 round. happens with the 8 and 10 round magazines. no reliability whats so ever, this is a glove box gun so i really need it to be reliable. now i was shooting suppressed so maybe its more reliable unsuppressed, i dont know. What can i do to fix these issues? the nose diving is a mag issue i know since theyre nose down and kinda rattle in the magazine. theres also a rattle in the slide, is that normal?
Seller doesn't sell +p 124 gr 9mm

·
Super Moderator
26,177 Posts
It wasn’t bent and my point was I shouldn’t be getting a malfunction every round for a new gun and according to some more research, yeah I’m going to need to modify the magazines. I shouldn’t have to modify factory mags to get to them work.
Yea the ammo is +p, for that bullet weight and velocity it would have to be, Hipoint says they’re rates for +p.
You don't need to modify anything right now. All you need to do is leave them loaded and go shoot the thing. It's not broke until it's broke, and right now it's not even broken in...

Well for starters, +p ratings are based on a pressure threshold at +/-(X)% based on the maximum pressure of the proof round, not velocity at all. Plus ammo manufacturers love to bump their numbers up to sell more units. We could delve in to the physics involved, but something tells me you wouldn't be listening.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,172 Posts
I don't think you know what +P actually means or how or if velocity has anything to do with it.

·
Premium Member
36,857 Posts
Plus P has nothing to do with your trouble.
Don’t screw with the mags until you’ve tried actually loading the mags and letting them sit, then shooting the gun with regular commercial ammo, NOT reloads, and without a can on it.
After you’ve tried that, let’s see if you have to tweak the mags. We can help with that. And it’s not “modify” the mags….it’s “tweak” the mags.

·
Administrator
29,260 Posts
OK, I've avoided it so far because you've been given good advice. But here's some more.

• Have a friend shoot it. Give him $25 to go buy a box of ammo and shoot that.
  • Work the mags. Get two dowel rods and use them to run the mag follower all the way down 100 times each per mag.
  • Lightly dry lube the mags internally. Don't use oil. A light coat evaporating carrier that leaves a very thin graphite layer.
  • Make sure the gun is clean and lubed. It doesn't like to be over-lubed and there's really only two places to lube anyway. Lock back the slide and use your air compressor to blow out the groove in the rear of underside for the dollshead.
  • Check your grip. HP handguns have a strange grip and an odd grip-to-slide interface which some people actually touch as they shoot with their normal grip, causing a tiny amount of friction and sometimes causing cycling issues.
  • If you really truly think that mags are the issue, then buy new mags. Screwing with your existing mags is a sure way to insert uncertainty into your diagnostic process and brand new mags are remarkably inexpensive. And if you mess around with your existing mags and then find out later it was your grip or something then you've just borked what used to be perfectly good mags.

Peace favor you sword,
Kirk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts