Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 995 carbine is failing to feed full metal jacket ammo from a full factory magazine. I load the magazine with 10 rounds. I manually chamber the first round without a problem. On the next shot the bolt over rides the next round failing to feed it. When I pull back the bolt it feeds and the remaing rounds will fire normally. This has occured with brass blaser, but not aluminum blaser or steel case monarch ammo. I am assuming that the blaser has sufficient recoil to function the action.

I notice that empty seated magazine has about an 1/8" of up and down play. I am assuming that the magazine catch is defective. Does anyone out there see a different possible cause for the FTF malfunction?
I assume the cure is to buy a new magazine catch from HiPoint.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Granted my experience with hipoints is limited as of yet, and my 995 works flawlessly everytime, but one thing you might try is seating the rounds in a loaded mag. The ammo should point up ever so slightly, and I found with my factory mags, that after loading the mags, the top round will be flat to even slightly down pointing, and smacking the butt of the mag against my hand seems to orient them all the right way.

If that is not working and you still are having failure to feed issues, I would try a different brand, (most people are able to shoot WWB ammo with no problems, myself included, however others report many malfunctions), and if that doesn't fix it, consider sending it back to hi-point for a warranty service.

D

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I don't have 995, but after frequenting this forum for so long I can tell you that the carbines are the ones with the fewest problems.

As NarcoticRex asked, have you installed the ATI after-market stock, or are you using the OEM stock? That may be the culprit, or just aiding the problem.

Now, the problem occurs only on the 2nd round? There are no other times that you can recall having this type of malfunction on another round in the sequence? That seems a rather odd place to only have a failure. I am by no means doubting you.

You also are saying that you have too much space between the bottom of the mag-well and the mag, and that it is a factory mag, not the 15rd Pro-Mag. Correct? Does the mag move only up and down? Only side to side? Or is it all over the place?

Have you experienced this malfunction with other brands of ammo besides Blazer Brass? My C9 eats only BB when she is at the range, and the 995 is basically a C9 with the extra parts added to make it a carbine. Therefore, I know BB has enough power to handle cycling the slide. Some firearms, even the top of the line models like Hi-Point (;)), can be picky about what brand(s) they are fed. My C9 doesn't like Wolf or Blazer steel cased, my Dad's does. His C9 doesn't like WWB, mine does...well did, anyway. It could just be that your 995 doesn't like BB and chooses to tell you on the 2nd round of each mag.

If the mag catch was the culprit, I would think that the malfunction would occur every time the slide cycles automatically, not just on the 2nd round. I believe it would occur on the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th, or, basically every time that you didn't manually cycle the slide.

How many rounds have you fired through your 995 thus far? Even though the carbines do not have as many problems, they do still, more than likely, have a break-in period. For the pistols the break-in period is anywhere from 300 to 800 rounds.

One last thing. Do you have more than one mag? If so, does it happen with all of your mags? Have you marked your mags to find out if it just one mag or which mags it occurs with. If you only have one mag, have you tried another mag? Maybe a friend's, acquaintance's, or even enemy's mag that you could borrow? Try purchasing another mag from www.hipointfirearms.net, and if you don't have any problems from the new one, then send the old one in for replacement.

Lastly, if it does turn out to be the mag release, you will not need to purchase it. If you feel comfortable replacing it yourself, they will simply mail it to you free of charge. If you are not so confident and feel that it would be better for Hi-Point to make the repairs, then all you will need to pay are the shipping costs to their plant. They will make the necessary repairs, test fire it, and send it back to you, more than likely with a free mag to offset the cost of the initial shipping.

Good luck and sorry for the book. I hope it helps. Also, Please be patient with your Hi-Point, they truly are great firearms.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
After I load every mag, I slap the back of it(primer side) into the palm of my hand. That tends to make all the bullets face up, no more nose diving bullets.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From Broomhead:
I don't have 995, but after frequenting this forum for so long I can tell you that the carbines are the ones with the fewest problems.

As NarcoticRex asked, have you installed the ATI after-market stock, or are you using the OEM stock? That may be the culprit, or just aiding the problem.
My stock is factory
Now, the problem occurs only on the 2nd round? There are no other times that you can recall having this type of malfunction on another round in the sequence? That seems a rather odd place to only have a failure. I am by no means doubting you.
Once it occurred on the 8th round
You also are saying that you have too much space between the bottom of the mag-well and the mag, and that it is a factory mag, not the 15rd Pro-Mag. Correct? Does the mag move only up and down? Only side to side? Or is it all over the place?
Play is up and down only
Have you experienced this malfunction with other brands of ammo besides Blazer Brass? My C9 eats only BB when she is at the range, and the 995 is basically a C9 with the extra parts added to make it a carbine. Therefore, I know BB has enough power to handle cycling the slide. Some firearms, even the top of the line models like Hi-Point ( ), can be picky about what brand(s) they are fed. My C9 doesn't like Wolf or Blazer steel cased, my Dad's does. His C9 doesn't like WWB, mine does...well did, anyway. It could just be that your 995 doesn't like BB and chooses to tell you on the 2nd round of each mag.
This possible, but a properly functioning 9mm should use all FMJ. My glock and 1911 doIf the mag catch was the culprit, I would think that the malfunction would occur every time the slide cycles automatically, not just on the 2nd round. I believe it would occur on the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th, or, basically every time that you didn't manually cycle the slide.
It is not uncommon to get a jam from a full magazine when functioning is marginal. The rear of the cartridge is being over ridden. But the round is chambering. Pull the slide back and release will push the jammed round into the gun
How many rounds have you fired through your 995 thus far? Even though the carbines do not have as many problems, they do still, more than likely, have a break-in period. For the pistols the break-in period is anywhere from 300 to 800 rounds.
Gun is used; it possible that more firing will either make the gun better or even worse
One last thing. Do you have more than one mag? If so, does it happen with all of your mags? Have you marked your mags to find out if it just one mag or which mags it occurs with. If you only have one mag, have you tried another mag? Maybe a friend's, acquaintance's, or even enemy's mag that you could borrow? Try purchasing another mag from www.hipointfirearms.net, and if you don't have any problems from the new one, then send the old one in for replacement.
I have 3 factory magazines
Lastly, if it does turn out to be the mag release, you will not need to purchase it. If you feel comfortable replacing it yourself, they will simply mail it to you free of charge. If you are not so confident and feel that it would be better for Hi-Point to make the repairs, then all you will need to pay are the shipping costs to their plant. They will make the necessary repairs, test fire it, and send it back to you, more than likely with a free mag to offset the cost of the initial shipping.

Good luck and sorry for the book. I hope it helps. Also, Please be patient with your Hi-Point, they truly are great firearms

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yesterday I called HiPoint the technician told me I was the third person that week that had a problem with brass case blaser. He recommended aluminum case blaser. He also made some other recomendations about removing burrs from the magazine lips and not over lubricating the weapon. He is having a spare magazine catch assembly sent and I will see if it makes a difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.