Full of questions

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by noemad, Jun 11, 2008.

1. noemad

noemad Member

Ohio
    Ok so i have recently rediscovered the joy of the local pawnshop.I know the girl that works there and we have been friends for over 15 years.She is always up to give me discounts on anything i want so i have been doing some shopping.I was in today and saw a 995 carbine she is willing to deal me for $90 +tax.I also found a Smith & Wesson that i fell in love with instantly.Being an amateur/noob when it comes to guns i didn't pay a lot of attention to it and asked to put it on layaway.It was a .40 cal with 2 mags priced to me at $220.I looked around online when i got home as they were closing when i got in and didn't get a good look at it in my excitement.I am pretty sure it is a sw40ve,but not positive.Now heres the thing,on my layaway slip it is listed as follows: S&W sw357v .40cal.After reading this i am confused,is it a .40 with the ability to switch out to a .357?I figured you guys would be able to answer for me.Thanks again.

2. No such thing as a dumb question, but didn't you post this on another thread already?

3. noemad

noemad Member

Ohio
    No,actually the other post was strictly about the 995 and whether or not HP would clean and update it for me if i sent it in to them vs me doing it myself seeing as it has no specific problems.I guess i should have left mention of the 995 out of this post completely.

4. CBags04

CBags04 Guest

Not sure about the Sigmas, but I know the XDs are able to switch from .40 to .357sig. I am not sure that I have ever seen a .357 sigma either. weird.

5. Krippp

Krippp Well-Known Member

The 1st generation is the SW9F/SW40F. 4.5 inch barrel, no accessory rail. The 2nd generation is the SW40C/SW40V/SW9C/SW40C/SW357V. 4 inch barrel, no accessory rail. Some SW40Vs and SW9Vs have a grey polymer frame. The third and current generation is the SW9E/SW40E/SW9VE/SW40VE/SW9P/SW40P/SW9G/SW40G/SW9GVE/SW40GVE. They have 4 inch barrels and accessory rails.

what you have there is either a .357 sig Sigma or a 40 Sigma, just look at the slide and the top of the chamber and it will be clear. from what i've seen the .357sigs and the .40's shared mags and the only difference is the barrel. in fact some of the second gen mags had .40 stamped on one side and .357sig stamped on the other side.

6. If it is a 2nd Gen Sigma the price is not bad, if its a newer 3rd Gen VE the price is great. If its a 1st Gen I would pass on it.

I have a 3rd Gen 9VE and love the pistol.