Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my supply of 2400 running low at about the same rate as my expendable income, I'm switching to Varget for a little while in my 30-06 cast experiments. My soupcans (Lee c309-113-F) are lubed with my SOCOM Green and sized at .309 with Lyman gas checks. I picked a lowball charge just to see how it felt since my 2400 load was substantially slower than a book full-house load. Here are the results at 50 and 100 yards. The rifle is my Remington 710 in 30'06:

The 50yd range is in the woods making for a wind-free environment. When I moved to the 100yd range the wind was gusting around 15mph I'd guess.

I think I have a new load to play with. I saved my last 5 rounds to go play with the local fauna, but the local farmers all seem to be haying today, so the fields should be nice and ripe on Tuesday or so...

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
WOW dude. That's awesome for a cast bullet and gas checks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Death Penalty,

That load looks very promising. Apparently the Rem 710 has the potential to be quite accurate too. Post some more targets as you fine-tune your recipe. I may have to get me that bullet mold for mine.

wizard93

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a fantastic mold. It's nice and short so it drops easy every time. I've heard of people dropping deer with it from a 30-30, it seems a bit light for the task IMO. wizard, if you want a few to try out let me know, I can send you a couple dozen to try out for shipping cost.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I loaded up some full house Varget loads topped by my soupcan... The club had a meeting going on, so I'll be testing them out tomorrow, only at 50 and 75yds though due to location. Hopefully the lube and bore treatment let me break the rules... If not, well, I guess I'll have a lot of scrubbing to do to get the lead off the crown again.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Death Penalty,

That would be nice to try out some of those bullets in my 30-06. Maybe we can even do a bullet swap if you're interested. I have some 200 grain GC bullets cast from the Lee mold, lubed with LLA and sized to .309". Also some .312" 185 grain and some .324" 175 grain 8mm cast bullets if interested. All are gas checked and lubed with LLA

If you want to try some of my 9mm cast bullets, I have plenty of them which I use all the time in the 995 carbine and the C9. Just let me know.

wizard93

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Full house loads of varget either push too fast or heat the boolit up too much to work, I didn;t even print on paper at 50 yds. I guess I'm relegated to shooting in the 2000 fps area, ah well. Wizard, I'd be interested in swapping some 200 grainers for soupcans, although I'd really prefer them without lube if possible. let me know...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Death,

I'd have to make up another batch of the 200 grain bullets, but it might be pretty tricky to place gas checks on them without the lube. If I ran them through my Lee sizer without lubing them first, then things will get ugly. Now, if you prefer them as cast from the mold without lube and gas check, then I can do that. We can swap bullets as cast, and I can add my own gas checks to the soup cans.

wizard93

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.