Future C&R Guns?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Zone' started by magnum55, Oct 16, 2015.

1. magnum55

magnum55 Member

Anybody have any thoughts of any guns that might or should make it to C&R classification in the next 5-10 years? Seems like the list has been about the same for a while now.

2. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Anything that is 50 years old or older.... every year more firearms turn 50. :D

In 2016, any firearm manufactured prior to 1964 will be C&R. ;)

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    2016 - 1964 = 50?

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Lock It!

PAPA BEAR hath Spoken! :D

5. FlashBang

typo.. I'm sitting in the living room watching Gold Rush and eating Orange Sherbet.... :):):)

It should read 1966....

6. cicpup

Vermont
    New season? Parker needs to tell Tony to take a flying [email protected]

7. FlashBang

Looks like Tony is gonna tell Parker to take a hike.... he's tired of his whining and arguing...

8. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Shut up about Gold Rush it gets in the way of watching Kradashions :p

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    So, if my Savage 99 was built in 1945, I can have it sent to my door with my C&R?

How about a 1950 built Marlin lever gun?

10. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Yep that's how I understand it.

11. talon

talon the banned wagon

Isn't there a little more to it than just 50 years?

12. cicpup

Vermont
    Other than certain rarities getting added early? I don't think so.

13. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    I believe there are some restrictions. I don't see a 1960 AK-47 ever being C&R.

14. FlashBang

Yes sir, it can be sent directly to you.

15. FlashBang

Any firearm 50 years old is automatically C&R.

16. FlashBang

A 50 year old AR or AK would be C&R, even if they are full auto. However for full auto's they would also have to comply with all NFA regulations as well. I own a couple of C&R WWII machine guns and they were shipped directly to my door once the Form 4 came back.

17. talon

talon the banned wagon

I didn't realize it was that simple. :cool:
    Direct from ATF webpage:

A regulation implementing Federal firearms laws, 27 CFR §478.11, defines Curio or Relic (C&R) firearms as those which are of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons.

To be recognized as C&R items, 478.11 specifies that firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;

Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and

Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF's C&R list. Therefore, ATF does not generally list firearms in the C&R publication by virtue of their age. However, if you wish for a classification of your particular firearm under categories (b) or (c) above and wish your item to be listed, you may submit the weapon to the Firearms and Ammunition Technology Division (FATD) for a formal classification.

Please note that firearms regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) may be classified as C&R items, but still may be subject to the provisions of the NFA. If your C&R item is an NFA firearm (e.g., Winchester Trappers) and you desire removal from the NFA status, you must submit it to FTB for evaluation and a formal classification.

18. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

That 50 year rule is definitely not set in stone! There are quite a few exceptions.
    Country of origin is one that is noticeable. See any recent imports from China directly of 50+ year old guns? I think not. Direct from Russia? Don't think so.

They also are no longer letting certain types of guns become eligible at all. The AK 47 mentioned above is one of them.

The C&R list is pretty well not even updated all that often. But I think our US made guns pretty well follow the 50 rule.

19. FlashBang

Please post a link to the BATFE published regulation or decision on this.

The only reason you will not see anything from Russia or China is due to the EO issued to stop all imports. Otherwise if they were imported and 50 years old they would be C&R.

As far as 50 year old AK-47's.... if they are semi-auto they are automatically C&R. If they are full auto, they have to also meet the NFA requirements; this means they have to have been not only manufactured, but also registered on the NFA books prior to 1986.

If an AK-47 full auto was manufactured 50 years ago AND it was registered with the NFA prior to the books being closed in 1986... it is a C&R and transferable machine gun.