Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've referred to the book 'Ammunition Making' by G. Frost here a few times. Apparently it has been out of print for a while & used copies go for about $250. Yesterday I found it as an E-book. Don't know the copyright/legal side of this book.

Link to the password needed to unzip it:

http://www.katzforums.com/showthread.php?t=342488

Link to download it:

http://rapidshare.com/files/222655568/Ammunition_Making.rar

This book is basically a tech manual for running an ammo factory. He started working at Western in the early 1930s & was still working in the Philippines in 1990. He worked at about every thing during that time. Current primer mix, the first ball powder, Q control, setting up factories, etc. All the details for making ammo are in it. How to make cases, primers, loading equipment, safety, etc. Well worth studying by anyone who is a serious reloader or shooter.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
!,000,000 Thanks! I've seen it referenced but could never find it. You have helped me grealy and given me some good research material.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
perotter is offcially declared THE MAN for today!

SW
Thanks. But make it the man for 30 minutes. I'm going to bed soon.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
!,000,000 Thanks! I've seen it referenced but could never find it. You have helped me grealy and given me some good research material.
Some cold winter weekend I'll give you a list of several dozen things for research. I've been getting ready for winter the last 3 weeks, so no time now.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
i got it. now to send it to my buddies work, and haim print me a hard copy. thanks again

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Thanks! It's probably over my head I'm not that into reloading yet just puttering around but things like this help! I appreciate you taking the time to post it.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SW suggested that I should post it here. Some of what is in there I've just started to understand.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to check bullet pull so that setting a factory crimp die, I'd like to hear about it. The book give numbers as to what the pull should be, but not how to test it. I've only given it some passing thought.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
you need a dedicated bullet pull tsting machine. it uses a collet die attached to a pull gauge. they are usually custom made for a given ammo company. they're not a regular built machine.

SW

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you need a dedicated bullet pull tsting machine. it uses a collet die attached to a pull gauge. they are usually custom made for a given ammo company. they're not a regular built machine.

SW
A couple of months ago I had to fix a pull tester that is used for testing terminal pull in wiring harnesses. That is a $6000-8000 machine. It is electronic & goes to 600 pounds. They have an older pneumatic machine also.

I guess I'll place this at 3rd or 4th on my list of ammo projects.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Download a copy of 7-zip and you can open just about any compressed file, this one is a .rar file winzip won't open it, 7-zip will.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I am downloading it now, but I don't have a .rar file decompression program. Not a big deal, I can wait to read it as I won't be home for a while anyway. Thanks for finding it for us Perotter.

EDIT: I downloaded 7-zip and extracted it... What a great resource of information. Thanks for posting this up guys, I appreciate it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts