G20 and G19 Range Report(s)

Discussion in 'Gun Reviews and Range Reports' started by Rachgier, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

As you all know my collection now includes a couple of Glocks. Well today we finally got out to shoot them. Unfortunately, this report will not include target pics. I managed to leave the pack of targets sitting on the kitchen table when I grabbed everything else to leave. Probably a good thing because I discovered the G20 had been previously sighted in by the previous owner and the rear sight had been tapped off to the right. I left my brass punch on the workbench so I just compensated by aiming left. We shot from 15 yards at a couple of jugs, but Traci managed to destroy and old plastic chair that was holding the jugs.

The 20 fired flawlessly through 85 rounds of 180gr FMJ RNFP PMC, 84 if you count the oops. I had to stop myself from firing the last 15 round mag because everywhere I stopped today had 10mm at over $1 per round. :lame:

I've got the Gen 4 and put the largest backstrap on it and it fits my hand perfectly. I'm going to have to swap out the mag release, because I shot left handed and after the first shot I had to pick my mag up off the ground (oops), reload, adjust my grip slightly, the proceeded to plow through my ammo. The grip's texture is a bit rougher than I expected but not annoying or uncomfortable. The trigger was nice and smooth with a clean, crisp break; despite the useless flappy paddle thing elder was complaining about.

I'm probably going to swap out for night sights front and rear with the adjustable rear sight. I also need to go get my new glasses from the optometrist. I could hold the front sight clean and clear, but the rear sight would fuzz out a bit too much and I got double vision a few times which threw my aim off. I'm probably just out of practice and would have had my old glasses on, but the puppy at them...twice... I kept it MoM but I'm a bit rusty having not been to the range in months. I probably pushed, pulled, and anticipated like a fool, but at least I was out shooting!!!

All in all I'm impressed with my first Gluck ever owned, and it definitely made up for the older one I shot before that turned me off of glock for damn near a decade.

Traci had her Gen 3 G19 and it ran through 100 rounds of 115gr FMJ UMC like Homer through a dozen donuts. I only fired about 15 rounds through that courtesy of the 34rd happy stick gifted to her by the Mole. Same compliments to the grip and trigger as the G20, with the same sight issues encountered thanks to malfunctioning eyeballs. She said it was shooting low, so I advised her how to line up the sights properly and she was still all over the place but kept it within MOM.

We also played with an IO AK, .44mag, and a Judge. Broke out my 10/22 and let the one boy who wanted to go with us break out the Sig airsoft pistol and we covered some firearms basics. He did okay with it, plinking away at a milk jug from 5 yards.

Policed up most of the brass so at least I've got some stuff to reload while I web hunt for more ammo.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Prior owner of the G20 was cross-eyed, you say? :D

Did that happy stick perform OK? You stopped at 15 rounds,
    did Traci shoot the rest? I'm asking cuz it seemed to be a little
    balky loading it up, and thumbing them out. I cleaned up the
    interior of the mag, had some casting flash in there. Checked
    out better after than and the DFL (teflon) I sprayed in it. ;)

3. Rachgier

She ran the top half of the mag then graciously offered to let me finish it off. Ran smooth as silk from top to bottom.

4. undeRGRound

INDY
    180gr PMC

We have (sonny and me) a lot of the PMC 62gr 5.56 ammo,
    best group was ~4" @100 yds regardless of shooter. 1:9
    twist barrel, and brand new... not sure what to think.
    Still "minute of Zombie" but not impressive.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I don't know if it's just local pricing, but Sportsman's Warehouse in my AO has decent prices on commercial reloads, and some other off brand import ammo, even in 10 mm. Even has good prices on some normal ammo, I got Remington .357 158 gr. for under $25. I suppose there's one not too far from you?

I assume you know, Lee's .40 S&W dies also do 10 mm, so you can load up for power or load lead plinkers for cheap pretty easily.

6. undeRGRound

INDY
    ...awesome... :D

The only thing might be that it will later need a Wolff +10% spring as
    it ages. It's most likely a Korean Glock-Off, which are fine, but for the
    known spring issues.

7. undeRGRound

INDY
    IMO, and from a widely averaged FPS polling, I get the 180gr iterations
    of the 40 S&W and the 10mm as a 100 to 150 FPS spread.

40 S&W is a 990-1000 FPS sweet spot average.
    10mm is a 1100-1150 FPS average, with lots less examples.

If you are buying bulk 10mm, look for a MINIMUM 1100 FPS,
    otherwise you are just getting 40 S&W in a longer brass. :(

Freedom Munitions lists their 10mm at 1120 FPS, 501 ft-# M.E.
    It is also one of the most reasonable prices, and uses NEW Starline Brass.

8. Rachgier

Yep, did a powder stock check while I was recovering from sticker shock on the factory ammo. I've still got around 500 180gr plated RNFP's, a case of primers, and 2 lbs of Universal Clays. Now that I can stock up again, I will. Basically, all I need is brass.

9. colthrash

colthrash Member

rach, check out ammo supply warehouse. they are located in Nevada, $17.99 per 50 round boxes for 10mm. (armscor)

10. Rachgier

11. Rachgier

Closest SW to me is in Colorado Springs. About 2 hours away with traffic. I'll have to do the math when the meds wear off and balance gas money to shipping costs and see which is more cost effective.

Meh, $22 shipping on 250 rounds. Comes out to around $0.85 per.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Man, you really are out in the boonies!:p

I have two within an hour each way, they both sit within 100 yards of the closest Walmarts from here.:D

13. Rachgier

$27 shipping on 1,000 rounds comes out to around $0.38 per. It's armscor, and it's brass so I could damn sure reload those

That's not bad at all colt. You might have gotten them another customer.

14. Rachgier

LOL I like my little neck of the boonies.

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I know what you mean.:)

16. Rachgier

Everyone keeps asking what possessed me to move back here and all I can tell them is that I fell in love with the place 9 years ago and can't stand city life anymore.

The schools are rated as good or better than where we came from with 1/3 of the class size and double the student:teacher ratio, the taxes are minuscule compared to NY, cost of living is half of NY, and most importantly my kids are happy.

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's the good stuff!

I was sitting on the freeway last week just north of Portland Oregon, wondering why anyone would put up with that crap...took 45 minutes to go 5 miles.:rolleyes: They won't recognize any other states carry permits, gas was 30 cents more than here, speed limit was 15 mph slower...I think I see why they legalized pot there last year.:rolleyes:

18. Rachgier

I was laughing when I was driving to Pueblo the other day to buy a new 20' fiberglass ladder so I can do some work on the house. People around here do 90 miles an hour on a two-lane undivided state road, but barely top 50 on a 4-lane divided highway.