Garage Construction has started!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MaryB, Sep 17, 2015.

1. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I am putting up a 24x30 foot pole garage. Fully insulated(R50 attic, 8" thick bats in walls) with liner steel, 16x9 overhead door, lots of room for my wood shop!

Excavation guys just finished prepping the pad to build on, right side had to be brought up almost 4 feet(look at bobcat in back, it is on the lawn). 12 truck loads of gravel and a little over 8 hours labor for 4 guys... was fun being woke up by the gravel packer this morning! It shakes the whole house, feels like an earthquake! So first stage is done, builder is going to start dropping off materials to get the rest going up. He said it will only take his crew about 3 days once the poles are set.

[​IMG]

2. Rerun

Rerun Member

You DID say this was going to be two stories, right?

With an apartment overhead?

Right?

;)

eldar

3. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I was tempted! But the price was to high! Bad enough this is going to set me back around $30k when finished. I do have a budget to stay under. Currently have about an extra $6k but need to have some extra concrete work done.

4. Rerun

Rerun Member

Aw, shucks!

Imagine the view...

eldar

5. Rerun

Rerun Member

I knew a fella, now deceased, who had built an underground bunker beneath his garage in NJ during the 1980's.

It was a doozy!

He sold the house to his nephew without revealing it to him.

Some years after my friend's death, the bunker was revealed when the nephew decided to resurface the driveway.

They found all sorts of fun gizmos.

eldar

6. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

putting in 6 inches of concrete for the floor so I could have put a bunker under it! Not in the budget!

7. Rerun

Rerun Member

You could always install it later.

Just take a bit of judicious digging and placement of support walls and center beams...

Just think about it...

eldar

8. Rerun

Rerun Member

That $6,000 could pay for a widow's walk above Your House...

eldar

9. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Congrats Mary!

I'm on the home stretch on mine, a 30x40. Insulation, drywall, benches, and shelves and I'm done.

Might I suggest putting in 14" walls instead of 10' or 12'. Very cheap to extend the walls up. I did this and added a mezzanine in the back that gives me 7' height under the mezzanine for workbenches/cabinets and a 7' height area up above for storage or whatever. Added 300 sq. ft. at a minimal cost.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  10. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

GOOD for YOU, Mary!

In 2007, I built a 24x32 pole barn. I also put in a 16' x 9' over head door, with 10' ceiling. I built a trap door in the attic so I could store extra lumber & what not up there. I use my step ladder to climb up there. I put a couple of pull string lights up there also. A friend from church worked @ a warehouse that received crates made of OSB. They would dis-assemble the crates & stack the wood. I got those for free. Had another friend that get me some repurposed styro-foam sheets for free. I ran natural gas, electric, cable tv, & put in a waterless urinal all to the hefty price of $16,500. I had to call in a lot favors from friends & relatives. Oh, it took me from April to November to finish the project. I was SOOO glad when it was done!
    EVERYBODY needs a barn!

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :wah: NO! :mad:
    You can't leave it dangling like that!
    Elaborate, or pay the consequences :p

:rofl:

12. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

If I go higher heating costs will rise, have to remember I am dealing with temps to -32... Putting in a small natural gas heater for now. Might add a wood stove over in the workshop corner later on. Mainly looking forward to a place to store all the power equipment and empty the shed so I can add a powder coat booth in there.

13. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

I looked into powder coating as a retirement income producer, but recently there has been 3 powder coating shops open up. May still do it, but not market the service.

As for the extra heating load, I don't think 2 more vertical feet should add much more heating cost, given how well you plan to insulate. Even after adding the mezzanine in, I'm feeling like I'm already out of space.....you will too. :)

I hope you are thinking about a circulating, paddle fan. I found a cheap one for $30 on sale and it makes a difference both in the summer and winter with the tall ceiling.

I almost puled a bone-head in the shop design. I installed the welder outlet next to where the reloading bench was going to go. That would have been fun.

14. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I adds quite a bit to the heating load actually because every square foot of wall radiates heat away. It also adds to the wind loading and where I live that is critical considering I have seen 115mph winds this summer.

The powder coat booth is for stuff I run through the laser engraver. I make some signs and stuff that I powder coat, mask and engrave, then powder coat again in a contrasting color.

15. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

10AM this morning
    [​IMG]
    3PM

[​IMG]

By 5:30 they had all the purlins on and bracing in. Steel starts going up Monday. Once the ceiling liner is in they stop and the floor gets poured, then they come back and finish the wall liner.

16. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Why are people wearing coats? I was in shorts all day.

17. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    It seems that winter is coming.

18. Blue

Blue Member

IL
    Are these poles sunk into concrete or on top of concrete pillars ?

19. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

It was 45 degrees and windy that is why the coats! The posts are set on top of a concrete footer poured in the bottom of a 5 foot deep hole. Leveled and then the dirt is packed around them. Special treated lumber rated for ground contact with a 5 year rot warranty.

I went pole barn instead of stick built to save money, plus I get double the amount of insulation in the walls! 8" thick bats go in the walls, and the attic will have R50 blown in.

20. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Today... they only worked 3 1/2 hours... They left a pallet of steel out by the curb all weekend and I had some go rounds with the owner today.

Had 2 guys stop late Friday night and try to help themselves... same truck went by Saturday,slowed way down then kept going, same thing last night but they stopped. I have a security camera out there with a built in speaker and I told them to take a look up at the front house window upstairs... I was pointing my AR-15 at them and yes it was loaded! They took off for their truck and left again. Friday night I was still up so I just stepped out the front door and told them to get lost or I shoot.

Not very bright, someone in town thinks they know the truck and it is a couple of meth heads who were jailed for stealing a guys lawnmower from his front yard in the middle of the day. I told the construction company owner that if it walks tonight he is paying for it, his guys put it there, he made excuses that it was to make things easier for them... meanwhile I got little to no sleep all weekend because I finally turned the motion sensor alarm in the camera on and every car that went by triggered it. So yeah he picked a bad day to argue with me!

[​IMG]