GB - Seller asking too many questions?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MachoMelvin, Aug 29, 2014.

1. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I won a 4595 TS last night on GB. Today I receive an e-mail from the Pawn Shop that was selling the gun, acknowledging they received my FFL information. They also asked for my Date of Birth & Drivers License number for their records. I have bought many guns from GB, but no one has ever asked for this information before. I will furnish all this to my FFL when picking up my gun. I don't feel comfortable giving this info out to a hayseed in Hicksville.
    WHAT SAY YOU MY HP FRIENDS?

2. bluharley

bluharley Member

I don't know. For a free carbine, I probably would. My data is everywhere anyway.

3. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Date of birth? Wouldn't be concerned about that. Drivers license? That's a little strange.

4. MachoMelvin

I won the gun on Gun Broker Auction, $210 + $30 shipping. This seller only has my GB information now. No sense in giving anymore info than absolutely necessary?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  5. bluharley

bluharley Member

Whoops! Thought you meant you won it in a raffle or drawing! I'd call them, just to see if Rastus answers the phone.

6. No reason to give them that info. Ive never had anyone ask for that. They arent running the NICS, your FFL is.

7. MachoMelvin

M thoughts exactly, it's not like this is the only 4595TS out there?

8. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I don't know, I have'nt ever bought anything on gb. Seems kinda fishy to me tho.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Is it a requirement in his state? I can't imagine it is, but...?:confused:

10. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

THEY may be first time sellers on GB......let your FFL handle it.

11. even if that was a requirement in the seller's state he is not selling the gun to you really. He is transferring it to a FFL local to you. Even though the GB FFL gets the money, your local FFL is who you answer to.

I would not give the info. Walk away first

12. MachoMelvin

I just sent them a refusal to comply e-mail. I really wanted the gun, but I will draw a line. Thank the Lord, there are more 4595's for sale!!!

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

Had a used one here: (actually checked it myself, looked brand new, but had an added flash suppressor that was used)

terrehauteguns.com

It's gone, but they do get some good deals thru there!
    It's where I buy ALL my HPs! $10 FFL Fees, Also!

14. I have bought 2 guns from GB and all I was asked was how it was going to be paid for and my FFl's info

15. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

Same here on my single GB purchase.

16. panoz77

panoz77 Member

I would have just sent him a polite email saying that information is not required and you will provide that to your FFL when getting your NICS check. Nothing to cancel the sale over unless he said it was required or no sale.

17. MachoMelvin

Their last e-mail stated this was required information, per company policy. I politely told them I hoped it wasn't a deal breaker, but I would refuse to submit their requested information.

I did not see this printed on the GB posting untill after I won the bid.

"We do require buyer’s date of birth, and id number with each purchase."

18. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I'd check the State Law of that pawn shop, and if it is required, just go ahead and do it. $210 is a great deal, (if all fees add up favorably) and the date of birth is just so they can cross reference against your license. It may be a state law for them to keep those records of ALL SALES, internet or otherwise.

Might be fine Mel, just check it out, and if it was posted on there before, you are kind of on the hook. But a bad GB rating is no big deal, I'm sure ;)

19. Yeah I'd say they're only concern is that it's being shipped to an FFL. Like SWAGA said this might be their first time selling on GB or maybe they need that information for sales in-state and assume they need it even though it's through another FFL. But I'd be asking a few questions.

I know my FFL requires a photo ID whenever I've bought from another individual but not another FFL.

20. MachoMelvin

These people have a very high GB number. This us not their 1st rodeo.