1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

lklawson submitted a new Article:

Gear Review - R51 Custom Kydex Holster

Read more about this article here...

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You know...you can hit it with a hair dryer and add tension yourself.

lklawson likes this.

3. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I just don’t like plastic. Either in my guns or my holsters. Guns need to be wood and steel. Holsters need to be Leather.

That said, I have softened my views in the past few years. I still think the Mini 14 looks better than the AR, but I do like my plastic and aluminum AR’s . Still not my favorite, but they are growing on me. I have even taken to calling some handguns, like the Ruger American and Honor Defense Honor Guard handguns steel guns, even though they do have a plastic grip frame.

I do think I just may try a Kydex holster for the plastic and aluminum Ruger Security 9 semi-automatics that I have come to like. Even to the point that I am looking at making my own Kydex press and making my own holsters. It will never have the look, feel, and warmth of a stainless 1911 with Rosewood grips nestled in a mahogany brown Custom Leather holster, but then again, the Security 9 ain’t a 1911. Maybe Kydex does have a place.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    lklawson and SWAGA like this.
  4. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    o_O

5. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

i fixed it.

6. Dave4903

Dave4903 My other car is a M60A3 Supporting Member

I like the idea of the holster being curved to fit better around the waist. Since it’s for a R51, I had to give it a 5 star rating.

lklawson likes this.
  7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I just used some boards, a towel, and some leftover 6” deep Fiberglas insulation

Lay a board on the floor, lay the insulation on it, lay the gun wrapped in the softened kydex wrapped with a towel to keep it all somewhat tight on that, lay more insulation on top, set a board on it, then stand on it for 30 seconds or so. It gets hard enough quickly.

Anything you don’t like or that needs tweaked can be re-done, or done by hand. Like the retention made by squeezing some kydex into the trigger guard, but not so much that it contacts the trigger.

I made belt hook/loops by simply heating it, then flopping it over the belt, squeeze with the towel by hand, and then did the little retention bit the same way.

Worked great.

Think1st likes this.
  8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Here’s some pics, the black one has been modified, it’s nice to be able to get at least one finger around the grip. First attempt, they’ve been refined a bit since that day...

EB7316B9-3BBD-4292-9F62-54D3BAE64D10.jpeg 9184AD7D-4E6C-498D-AC63-3340051559B6.jpeg

Think1st likes this.