Gentle recoiling, inexpensive 9mm

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by lklawson, Dec 9, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

OK, in the Taurus PT111 thread, I asked about the recoil on that firearm and gave the reasons listed below. In this thread I'm soliciting suggestions with a specific set of requirements (also listed below).

My boy has decided that he's ready to move up to a center-fire handgun from his Ruger SR22. Says it's "too light." I let him shoot my Remington 1911R1 and he didn't like the recoil or weight. So I need something that's center-fire but "mildly" recoiling.

My basic requirements are:
    • 9mm Luger
    • Around $250
    • Comfortable and light recoiling

So, basically, I'm thinking a service sized, all steel, 9mm, in the "cheap" range. He doesn't like my Hi Point C9 or I'd throw that at him right now. :)

The Zastava M88A fits all of my requirements and he says he likes the looks of it. Being all steel, it'll be a light recoiling arm. But, frankly, it's gotten mixed reviews for some things. Apparently, they're usually set up with a Military Center Hold sight alignment which means a lot of folks (me included) will shoot it low. And it has a reputation for walking sights out of the dovetails. And, to pick nits, while I do like that it has a Firing Pin Block Safety, I don't like that it has a Euro style "up for fire, down for safe" Thumb Safety. After using many different guns, some with Euro up-for-fire and some with American down-for-fire, I truly believe that the latter is simply far more intuitive and natural.

Now, that said, I like Taurus well enough and have, personally, had good experiences with the brand. The usual sale price on the G2 seems to beat the Zastava by a pleasant amount and, should my teenage son manage to live long enough to be old enough to CC (grrr... sometimes it's a challenge!) then the PT111 G2 is, imo, better suited to that. The G2 fits the caliber and price requirements but it seems like it's not as gently recoiling so it may be "out."

So that's the requirements. I know the price tag is going to make is hard to fill, but if it were easy, I wouldn't be asking for suggestions. The fact that the Taurus and the Zastava hit the dollar mark sets the bar on price.

I'm not totally stuck on 9mm but it is the most economical of the center-fire pistol cartridges and has the definite advantage of economies of scale so it's going to be hard to argue me out of that.

I'm not absolutely stuck on an auto but a cheap .38 wheelie would require me to reload for .38 in order to be as economical as 9mm and I don't have any gear for .38 or even any pistol powder. I'd need the dies, the powder, primers, and bullets which quickly eats into the "inexpensive" requirement.

I'd definitely consider used guns if they can be found comparatively consistently in the given price-range.

Let the games begin. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    My lgs has been selling Smith and Wesson sd9ve for $269.99.

3. Dreamthief

Dreamthief Senior Member Member

What about a Taurus 709 slim? I have one for concealed carry. Light recoil slim firearm with a little heft to it. I bought mine for 249.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

What's the recoil like in comparison to the 3 other referenced firearms?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

What's the recoil like in comparison to the 3 other referenced firearms? In particular I would expect the 709 to be more "snappy" than the PT111 which has already been compared to the SCCY (and by corollary similar to the Kel Tec P11).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  6. Branth

Branth Member

I have a 709 Slim. While it's very controllable for a pocket gun, I wouldn't characterize it as "light." It's a bit whippy for new shooters, though it is doable.

Honestly, I'd really consider saving up a bit more and getting a surplus Glock 19 for $350 - He can really grow into a gun like that, and you won't end up replacing it for something nicer later on.

Failing that, I'd definitely go with a SD9VE, or maybe a Ruger 9E if you can find one.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Then I'll cross it out.

A glock? I may not always like him but I don't hate him! ;)

So, what's the recoil of the Smith like compared to the other three referenced firearms?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. Branth

Branth Member

I haven't shot the SD9VE myself, but it gets great reviews, and is essentially a Glock copy. I would expect it to be very controllable.

9. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    The sd9ve is a full size 9mm. It is definitely more comfortable to shoot than the compact 9's you are looking at.

10. mej24

mej24 Member

Tristar c100 or t100 . The T 100 is a little heavier due to metal frame vs polymer frame.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

And way over the budget. :)

Maybe a used one.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Except for the M88A (from what I've read) due to its all steel frame. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. J&G Sales has a used/surplus Star Super B 9mm for $249.95. Seems to get good reviews & they sell a lot of them. Full size, with old-school steel construction. I've never shot one..

14. mej24

mej24 Member

Sale for $329 for the C100 and $$349 for the T100 at Academy near me.
    Wish I could find one used, when the to buy one last week and all they had were in .40, no 9mm.

15. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Don't remember if this has been suggested already, and don't know how they shoot, but it is in your price range. What about a Diamondback? I don't remember seeing that one in the other thread.

16. Branth

Branth Member

I also rather liked the SAR B6P. It was pretty comfy to shoot, though the small slide was a bit hard to grip like most CZ75 clones.

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Is that the polymer framed pocket 9mm? Don't know about the price but if it's the one I'm thinking of the recoil puts it in the same class as the Kel Tec PF9 which is too much for the intended user. :)

Honestly, I'd sacrifice the caliber to go to .380 or .32 first. If he liked it (though I don't think he would), a CZ70 might be in order. But due to the economies of the 9mm, that's probably the wisest caliber to have.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

I just checked, yeah, that's the polymer. They're on the $229-250 range. What about Bersa? The 9mm are more in the $350 price range, but the .380's are more in your price range.

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Colt used to make a .38SPL Revolver called the Diamondback. I think they're kinda collectible now. The best man at my wedding had one he inherited from his dad. He sold it to buy a NIB Colt 1911 and has been kicking himself every day since. :)

They're Simple Blowback which pushed the felt recoil up on the scale to the same range as a Browning style lockup, in my opinion. But it does bring the price of manufacture down.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

20. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama