Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came across a german 98 mauser with the Pleitegeier on the receiver as well as M44 stamped large across it but cannot find any info on what M44 stands for on a German rifle. Also it looed like the handgaurd had previosly been painted red. Any ideas on what this gun us and where it came from? No swastica's but it hasnt been scrubbed either.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Can you get some pics of the stampings? That might be a Yugo made at the Pred 44 factory, or I might be totally wrong (usually the case)...pics would help.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that too but it's definitely German. It even has the German factory stamped on the receiver as well as the 3rd Reich bird.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just found a match on gunbroker. Apparently it's a very collectible model.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=124866196

So it turns out to be a standard BNZ 44 model k98. Apparently SS rifle assembled in a concentration camp. Pretty creepy if you ask me. the owner asked me to check the bold as it wasn't striking the primer. After I stripped it down I found the pin was broken. The pin also has no stampings or numbers on it. Should I get him to spend the extra money and get a serial number free firing pin to keep it as original as possible? He has no idea of it's history or value so I'll enjoy filling him in on that info. I might even make him an offer. The rifle is in outstanding condition and is a soldier bring back not an import.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I could but sadly for me he just told me it has sentimental value and is not for sale. It is still pretty cool tocheck out and handle a rifle with some history such as this one. I left him my number with instructions that I get first shot if he changes his mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts