Getting into hunting.

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Kelotravolski, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

Well I have broken down. I think that I am going to get my hunter's safety. Any advice on things I should do? I was thinking about hunting small game; any advice on what to hunt? Anyone know of any non protected animals in Colorado? Thanks!

2. Ari

Ari Guest

I do not know if you can call it hunting: But prairie dogs are a kick to shoot. I also like rabbit.

Both .17 HMR and .223 work good, in some cases 22lr has a place there too.

Give us a little more info on what you were thinking.

3. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

well my friend and I have never hunted before. we both have .22's and I have a shot gun and perhaps another one to borrow. I was thinking about hunting something small so as not to have to pay or deal with a large animal such as a deer. A coyote is questionable as to size. Mostly I want to do things like Rabbits and prairie dogs and maybe even some water fowl. (can you hunt Canada Geese? cause we have a ton of them in the winter.)

4. Yes, you can hunt Canadian Geese.... Good eatin' too!

For just small game and birds, the shotty is the best choice. You can hunt anything from squirrels to wild turkey to deer with a shotgun with proper ammunition selection...

If you are going to hunt some prairie dogs, get a .17 or a good quality .22LR or something similar.

5. Good to see another hunter. I love to hunt, Birds mostly as far a small game a 17hmr is a great choice! I use mine for everthing from rabbits and tree rats to coyotes. a 22 is a good choice also i perfer the 17 though due to the highly increased volocity! any ways good luck on the fun new past time!

6. vallen

vallen Member

Just be sure to eat what you shoot. Hunting is more than stalking and pulling a trigger. You have to clean (or pluck) them, skin them, and pick shot from the meat. Otherwise you become a trophy douche. Discipline and respect for the kill are paramount to being a good shot. Nothing is easy!

Birds are a good place to start.

7. 1inthechamber

1inthechamber Member

Would you eat a jackrabbit? I've heard the meat is not good and they're usually full of ticks.

8. vallen

vallen Member

That's why I don't shoot Coyotes. They get weird only when the food source is low. My kid left open the garden gate and rabbits ate about 30% of out winter veggies. Other than that, they are part of the natural food chain.

I actually have eaten Jackrabbit, although not recommended from June-Aug- something about being more prone to disease in summer months. Might be different in other places.
    And I think every part of wildlife management has to deal with parasites. Deer have ticks. Birds have mites. Thats why you gotta skin them and cook the meat :)

9. 1inthechamber

1inthechamber Member

In Oregon, jackrabbits are hunted year round. Alot of people just go out to shoot them and leave them for coyotes and whatever wants to eat them. They are especially a problem in Eastern Oregon (Christmas Valley).

Cottontails on the other hand, I'd consider eating as most people eat cottontails. After reading and hearing everything about how jackrabbits aren't good to eat, I don't want to risk it.