Ghosts. That's right, ghosts.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by desertrider, Mar 29, 2016.

1. desertrider

desertrider Member

I have never seen one. I don't believe they exist. Whatever you want to call them; apparitions, spirits, souls trapped in transition, whatever.

That being said, here's my point.

Monday night while watching TV in the family room my wife first looked stunned, then the color just drained from her face as she was looking past me.
    "I just saw someone walk through the dining room" was what she told me.

Yeah, sure.

Here's the thing, my wife shares my opinion on the subject of "ghosts". We've been together since '95, and married since '99. In all that time she's never been one to fabricate stories for effect or make outlandish claims, furthermore, she was very sincere about what she claims she saw.

Now my story. Since we've lived in our current home I've never seen anything unusual, but a handful of times I have walked into our bedroom or office and felt a total body chill (goosebumps) followed by a feeling that someone was in the room (that I wasn't alone). Never in any other rooms or in the garage, only the office and master bedroom. I just passed it off as a body chill and never even mentioned it to my wife. I still haven't mentioned it to her, even after her experience.

Neither of us have experienced anything else in the house. No noises, no weird lights or doors opening or closing, no odors. None of the hokey stuff.

My wife isn't lying to me. I refuse to believe we're sharing a house with a ghost though.

What's the general consensus on the topic of ghosts here? I refuse to talk to anyone I personally know about this. You guys can ridicule me all you want and it makes no difference, I just have to close my browser to not hear it. Can't do that with coworkers or neighbors.

Anybody here have experiences that can't be explained by the application of logic and good common sense? Somebody throw me a bone here.

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I don't know what they are, but, yes Virginia, they're real. Due to my religious convictions, I don't believe they're spirits of the dead.

When I was a teenager in Flint, MI, living in a house on Riesdorph, the house had a "something" which would "stomp," starting at the Living Room, down the hallway, into my bedroom, and stop at the foot of my bed. At first I dismissed it as "foundation settling" or whatever. But it happened in exactly that sequence. The first time it happened, one evening, my younger brother and I were in the basement Family room and there was that regular "stepping" sound coming from the floor immediately above us. We grabbed some decorative (70's-is) "swords" <ahem> (which were useless, in reality) and went upstairs to kill us an intruder. Nada. Empty home. Then it began. Not every night but pretty often. Living Room to my bedroom. Unless I fell asleep first. I didn't want to say anything about it because I figured my family and younger brother would just peg me for a bed-wetter or something. Then one day I found out that when I'd already fallen asleep, the "stomping" would go down the hallway but not into my room. It'd turn to the other door and go into my brother's room.

For months I lived in terror of the night. Then something weird happened.

Nothing.

That's right. Nothing happened. Just stomping down the hall to my room. And I got really TIRED of it. My brother and I named it "George" and one night, after the stomping started but before it reached my bed I yelled out into the dark, "George! Knock it off! I'm trying to sleep!" And the steps stopped right there.

Then after that, any time the stomping down the hallway started and I didn't feel like whatever it was stomping into my room, I'd yell at it to stop. And it would. At least for that night.

And that's all that whatever it was ever did. Just make noise.

I've paid attention to "Ghost Stories" from people I trust ever since then and they're almost always the same. They see or hear something or get a feeling of not being alone and... that's it. Nothing. The freakiest one was a buddy who used to work night security on a very old women's only college. One dorm known for being "haunted" would occasionally lock doors behind you or move furniture and make it irritating to get back out but not much more.

Frick'n spectral voyeurs or something. :rolleyes:

Whatever the case, I'm a "believer." Don't know what it is, but it's not "foundation settling" or any of that garbage.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    [​IMG]

Get out of the house.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Nah. Nothing much will happen. I've heard from many different reliable (to me) sources telling me of the "whatevertheyare" moving stuff but never hurting anyone. My grandmother occasionally tells the story of working on some pottery and having one of the pots pick itself up and float through the air to a different table. Didn't even break it. Just moved.

Whatever these things are, they appear to be not much more than irritations.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. cicpup

Vermont
    So now you're the expert on ghosties too?

Get out and move into a hotel.

[​IMG]

Next thing you know your damn kid will be sucked into a closet.

6. Grant

Grant Member

We bought a circa 1905 home and did some serious remodeling to it. Once we were done my son moved into it. One night I was at his house just hanging out and I heard clear as day footsteps on the hardwood upstairs. I looked at him and he was already looking at me, I said nothing, but he said, I hear that all the time. When we got the house there were some very poor wood floors upstairs, but we had to do so much patching that when we were done we carpeted the entire upstairs. How the step on wood floors happened I don't know, but count me in the believer side.

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I used to have one as a friend, remember? :rofl:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

I will probably be ridiculed for this, but I am gonna' say it anyway. I do not believe in ghosts. The Bible says that once you die you don't come back. Period. But it does mention "familiar spirits", which are demons who appear, and masquerade sometimes as ones who have gone on before. There is only one way to get rid of a demon. You don't need an exorcist or a priest. Just sincerely call for the demon to leave in the name of Jesus Christ.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Which is the same reason that I don't believe that "whatevertheyare" are the spirits of dead people. Don't know what they actually are, however.

With at least 4 Biblical exceptions that I can think of. :D

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. cicpup

Vermont
    Sounds like a clear cut case of CYA to me.

11. Unless you go with my brother's, who's a pastor, explanation; ghosts haven't left. That death doesn't mean you leave, only that you exit your physical body. Yes, when you leave, you leave. But ghosts haven't left yet. Hell, he ghost hunts between sermons lol.

12. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    I have never believed in ghosts. That being said, I have two ghost stories. One from me and the other from my grandfather.
    One morning my grandfather got in his car and started for work. He passed by his neighbors house as saw the lady that lived there standing on the porch looking in the window of the house. He waved at her and she waved back. He got about another half a mile before it dawned on him that he had went to her funeral two weeks before.

My girlfriend in high school lived with her grandparents for a few years because both of her parents were deployed overseas. During this time, her grandfather passed away. He had a 1967 Corvette 427 four speed that he had bought brand new. Pristine car, his pride and joy. About six months after he died, the grandmother sold the 'Vette. After that every time you went into the garage it was about 10 degrees colder than it should be and things moved around in there every day. After a couple of months of this, Grandma went into the garage and screamed 'Damn it Jimmy, I sold the car to Carl! You know he loves it as much as you do'. After that, no more problems. ( Carl was a family friend )

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  13. Ghost, spirits, apparitions, things that go bump in the night...yeah, i've seen and heard them on a regular basis. Some are not friendly or nice. There's more to the universe than meets the naked eye.

14. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Samuel, Widow's son, Lazarus, Jesus?

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I don't see or hear them, and I think the ghost hunting TV shows are total crap.

But I believe in spirits, good and bad.

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    @desertrider:
    EMI could explain your personal eerie
    feelings in those two rooms, it is Electro Magnetic Interference, and
    it has been PROVEN by certain ghost hunters to do exactly that,
    make you feel uneasy and like someone else is there. They can
    reduce or eliminate it, in nearly every case.

However, this does not explain what your wife saw ;)

17. undeRGRound

INDY
    Can't remember the name of the one I mentioned above, that does
    the EMI elimination. They DO hunt ghosts, but say that 99% or so are
    really just EMI... They fix these problems, for a fee, of course :D

18. desertrider

desertrider Member

Oh hellll no! I ain't moving for a very looong time. Think I'd rather join 'em than fight 'em. :D

19. desertrider

desertrider Member

I feel the same about demons as I do about ghosts. I just don't believe they exist. Great for movies and campfire stories, but that's as far as my involvement with demons goes.

My wife and I are both orphaned, but the "person" my wife saw walking through the dining room doesn't resemble anybody we know.

We just experienced a death Friday (long time family friend), but what my wife saw in no way resembles Richard.