Glock 17 Gen 1

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by warhawk77, Dec 2, 2014.

1. I have a Glock 17 Gen 1 I have had for almost 20 years, great pistol and I wouldn't git rid of it for the world(it was a gift from my mother that passed away a few years ago).

The pistol was a police trade in and has been my EDC for the last 3 years. I don't know how many rounds I have fired through it but it has been 100% reliable but the holster wear is starting to show. So I'm thinking it might be time to see about getting it refinished. But it's a original gen 1 that I love to shot so kinda scared to have it screwed up. So no issues other than just the holster wear but I fear if I don't protect it some how it could get bad. I do oil her down every few weeks.

Should I leave it as it is or have it redone?

While typing this out I thought about taking my wives Gen 2 (she doesn't carry it) as my EDC but I will have to shoot it a lot to fully trust it and not sure I want to turn the Gen 1 into a safe queen.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Dude...the wife's Gen 2 is a Glock, it will be fine.

I have no idea what it takes to get a Glock redone. Bet it's cheaper than a perfectly good Gen 3 police buyback for about $400.;).

Or get a brand new M&P or SD for a few bucks more. They have the same reputation for reliability as the Glocks.

Guns are machines, they wear out. Better to replace one before it does, than have it break down if and when you really need it.

3. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    I think the Gen 1's are cool, any way you could post a picture of it. Would help to determine how serious the wear is. I know there is a Glock plant in GA that could probably fix it for you.

4. The wear is pretty light so far but I will see if I can get it to show up on some pics. The ones I have don't show it.

The Gen 2 has never given me any problems but I have not put a few thousand rounds down range with is so little harder to trust. I understand it's a metal hurdle here I will have to get over at some point.

The internals of the Gen 1 are still solid so I mainly need the finish redone if anything.

5. Walther

Walther Member

The tenifer treatment on the slide protects it from corrosion. The treatment is not the black finish that has worn away.

From Wikipedia.

Glock Ges.m.b.H., an Austrian firearms manufacturer, utilizes the Tenifer process to protect the barrels and slides of the pistols they manufacture. The finish on a Glock pistol is the third and final hardening process. It is 0.05 mm (0.0020 in) thick and produces a 64 Rockwell C hardness rating via a 500 °C (932 °F) nitride bath. The final matte, non-glare finish meets or exceeds stainless steel specifications, is 85% more corrosion resistant than a hard chrome finish, and is 99.9% salt-water corrosion resistant. After the Tenifer process, a black Parkerized finish is applied and the slide is protected even if the finish were to wear off. Besides Glock several other pistol manufacturers, including Smith & Wesson and Springfield Armory, Inc., also use ferritic nitrocarburizing for finishing parts like barrels and slides but they call it Melonite finish. Heckler & Koch use a nitrocarburizing process they refer to as Hostile Environment. Pistol manufacturer Caracal International L.L.C. uses ferritic nitrocarburizing for finishing parts such as barrels and slides with the plasma-based Plasox process.

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Thank you Walther..now my brain hurts.....

7. That is good to know. Thanks for the info.

Not so worried about the finish wearing off now. Might still snag the Gen 2 so it gets some love also.

8. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

If the looks bother you, then do it.
    Function? Not an issue in my mind on that gun.
    Do you think it has seen 20k rounds in it's life? If so, get a Glock armorer to check it out.
    I still like seeing a handgun with holster wear for some reason. It tells me it has been used/carried, and for some reason that makes me smile.:)

9. I don't think so, I didn't shoot the pistol for years it was just keep in the safe. I would guess I have put less than 4,000 rounds through it. I do a lot more dry firing then I do live firing.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Then you have a WHOLE lot of life left in that gun.

11. Send your gun to Glock, they will go over it for you. Slide refinish is not expensive from Glock, I seem to remember around 40 dollars, but it will take several months.

12. 45Man

45Man Member

13. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Where can you have it done and how much does it cost?

14. 45Man

45Man Member

It was done 20 years ago, so can't say how much or where today.