Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i know I've been saying for awhile that I would post completed pics of the "Goat Project".

Well here they are. As you can see we have a whole complex going now - pictures include the chicken coop. I still need to do the addition on the other side of the feed shed (75'x25') but wanted to give you guys an idea of how it is looking. A lot of work but liking how its coming along.

Of course a I do additions as updates or even add a goat or 2, I'll post here.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome!!! I'm new at this "livestock" thing. Only ever had chickens!!

Building Shade Tree Architecture Plant
Plant Tree Wood Public space Grass
Plant Tree Building Shade Leisure
Plant Tree Shade Sky Land lot
Plant Tree Land lot Grass Door
Animal feed Grass Fawn Tail Sporting Group
Dog Plant Building Tree Door

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
That's a pretty serious project you're starting up. Are going to try to build a herd of goats as a sustainable meat source, or are you planning to harvest milk for cheese?

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now using the chickens and the goats for what they "produce". So we have eggs out the ass and will have goat milk/cheese. I still have to build a little curbside stand so my wife can sell off the extra along with produce.

IF it ever got to a point that we would need them for a meat source of course we would. Reason I have male and female. But for now just plan on selling off the kids to fund these projects along with the stand I have to build.

As for meat sources - I have 12 acres - full of deer, rabbits and just about anything you can think of that lives in PA. I also have a 1/4 acre spring fed pond fully stocked with Large mouth bass, small mouth bass and crappy. Of course my wife wanted fancy fish so I have 5 very large Koi in there too...

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Right now using the chickens and the goats for what they "produce". So we have eggs out the ass and will have goat milk/cheese. I still have to build a little curbside stand so my wife can sell off the extra along with produce.

IF it ever got to a point that we would need them for a meat source of course we would. Reason I have male and female. But for now just plan on selling off the kids to fund these projects along with the stand I have to build.

As for meat sources - I have 12 acres - full of deer, rabbits and just about anything you can think of that lives in PA. I also have a 1/4 acre spring fed pond fully stocked with Large mouth bass, small mouth bass and crappy. Of course my wife wanted fancy fish so I have 5 very large Koi in there too...
That sounds like a good setup. If I were to raise a meat source, hogs and chickens would be a better way to go. I saw the blue ball next to the cone out there and figured it was a toy for the goats. Anything smart enough to play with toys like that would be a last resort for a meat source. It would be too much like eating a dog.

Yeah, hogs are smart, too, but they aren't on par with goats when it comes to personality.

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
You will love your goats. They are about like dogs, sometimes even better. Every goat I have ever had was an escape artist. The Billy’s like to butt, but that’s not being mean, that’s just being a goat. If one stands up, grab his horns. If you don’t, you will think that you just got punched by George Forman!

Chickens.....well, they ain’t nothing but a bird.

Reactions: Think1st and Visper

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah he loves rubbing up against my leg with his horns, he's still young. As for the fence its buried about 4" deep along with 12" rebar J-spikes every 1ft or so. T-posts every 4ft.

From everything I read a happy goat doesn't try to escape "constantly" but yeah I know they will try from time to time. So hoping all the precautions I implemented will work!!! Adding that section (75'x25') will give them more room to roam also. Plan on getting a few more little tikes things for them to play on for that area (love yard sales) and I have a few old tires and pallets to throw in there too. Keep em busy and they don't have time to escape!!!

Chickens: they are my wife's thing, but I admit I like the fresh eggs better.

·
Premium Member
21,392 Posts
Electric wire with a solar charger will work. You have to have an anti-coyote strategy. Coyotes can clear, or climb that fence.

The milk will taste like crap if there is a male in contact with the girls.

#3 used to make some balls of something that had food grade diatomaceous Earth in them for natural worming. A 50lb bag is cheap from the feed store. Lasts a long time. I used to help trim their hooves.

She never had bucks. The females would butt me with their heads for attention.

Reactions: Visper

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah we have food grade diatomaceous earth, use it for the chickens for the same reason. But I did also get some dewormer from tractor supply, its like a monthly maintenance thing.

As for the coyotes, yes thought about that, that's why they get locked up at night. During the day I never see or hear them but I do have my dog out in the yard most days (well my Dad's dog).

We are going to most likely get a few more females and we are getting the buck one of these:

https://www.houseofbacchusgoatsupplies.com/store/

its like a chastity belt for goats. No unauthorized breeding allowed!!!

Hoping the milk will be fine, never read anything about males being present so thank you, but kinda stuck now. Plus can't sell off kids without a male so is what it is. I did read sweet feed definitely helps with the taste of the milk so using that along with regular grass hay and alfalfa.

Oh as for the electric fence. I have it all, but the way i built the pen its very rocky on one side, not great, unless I 2 wire it. even then its is a royal pain with gate locations running it. Don't have those gate disconnects. I'm most likely going to use it on the 75'x25' extension. I have electric in the feed shed so no need for solar.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are the plans for the addition and it shows the gate locations. If you guys can come up with a way to run it please let me know... (electric panel/outlets located bottom right corner of feed shed)

Rectangle Slope Parallel Symmetry Font

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh forgot to add that I have (2) Security Cameras out there that also have night vision, motion sensor and Alarm (I also get a text). Had to play with the settings so mice n crap didn't set them off but now it only goes off when I walk by it. First few nights I was getting 20 notifications a night, a lot of mice, a few deer and a raccoon.

Also have (3) motion activated floods surrounding the coop and pen.

I have taken security measures, we'll see how it works out. Crossing my fingers...

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
You will love your goats. They are about like dogs, sometimes even better. Every goat I have ever had was an escape artist. The Billy's like to butt, but that's not being mean, that's just being a goat. If one stands up, grab his horns. If you don't, you will think that you just got punched by George Forman!

Chickens.....well, they ain't nothing but a bird.
My folks' former pygmie goat used to whack me if I didn't go say high to him. They had a German shepherd that would periodically chase him around for the fun of it, and he started letting her know that that behavior was unacceptable by standing up and doing the sideways hop in her direction when she got to close.

You also have to be careful with them when you open up a new bag of feed to put it into a plastic storage bin. I was struggling with the string on top of a bag of molasses alfalfa that didn't want to pull straight out like it was supposed to do, and without warning, the goat hooked his horns into the bag and disemboweled it. What a mess. The little twerp was happy, though, because he got to chow down on a bunch of it as I scooped it up to put it away.

Also, they like to randomly knock stuff over, too. There was a wheelbarrow in the barn where we'd put the horseshit from the stalls, which would get wheeled out to a compost heap after a few muckings. Guess what the goat decided to knock over one day?

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Electric wire with a solar charger will work. You have to have an anti-coyote strategy. Coyotes can clear, or climb that fence.

The milk will taste like crap if there is a male in contact with the girls.

#3 used to make some balls of something that had food grade diatomaceous Earth in them for natural worming. A 50lb bag is cheap from the feed store. Lasts a long time. I used to help trim their hooves.

She never had bucks. The females would butt me with their heads for attention.
Electric wire doesn't seem to bother goats too much. We had about 1/3 acre with electric fence around it. The goats still got out.

I don't really like goats milk just to drink. I do like it in coffee and to cook with. I do like goat cheese.

we have not had goats for a while, I need to get some more. My bottom is full of poison ivy. Goats will take care of that for me. I used to keep about a half dozen pigmy's there.

We had feral goats on the farm, along with the feral pigs. Thank you Hurricane Hugo. Not seen a goat in a while, I think they are all gone, probably eaten by coyotes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts