Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be testing out my first 9mm reloads. I am using Hornadys xtp bullets. It will be fun to do and I will report back on what I think. But this is just going to be a guess on how they work because I cant afford a Crony yet :'(

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I havent gotten a chronograph yet either but have reloaded and shot about 3000 rounds in 9mm and 45acp. They are all going bang and hitting the target so I'm in no great hurry to get one.

Keep us posted on how your reloads are doing!

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
a chrono isnt really a must until you start experimenting with high end accuracy and/or experimental rounds like i play with. for average plinking ammo it isnt needed at all.

SW

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, they all went bang!!! In fact they cycled my JF 9mm just perfect. I am trying to find a good round for yotes and so i started at the low end of the recipee and am going to load sets of twenty slowly going up the powder scale and check the accuracy.

So overall I was quite happy with my first attempt at reloading. This weekend I will be going to the range with at least three different sets of reloads and will be testing them out in the TS.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Sounds great Packa. I got the best accuracy from my 995TS on the high end of the load range. Best of luck and working up reloads is fun.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
S/W hit it on the head. Crono isnt needed at first. When you do get on i sugest midwayusa.com I got one of the f1's for around $70.00 They have been on sale before around the $50 mark though. Either way congrats on the loads. but i must warn you, you are now addicted. soon your garage will be full of loading and casting stuff!!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Hey packa123, do you have any pics of the groups you shot with those rounds? I'm curious, as I want to start working up a load for my 995, but I haven't decided what bullet to use. I cast my own 9mm, but for some reason, my 995 barrel leads pretty bad so I was thinking of using a plated, jacketed or hollow point bullet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't shot yet. I am going out tomorrow to the range and I am going to be shooting four different reloads. All with the same 125 GR Hornady XTP bullet, just different powder loads. I have the first two sets of loads made up and tonight I hope to get the last two sets made up. After tomorrow I will post pictures of the targets and the differences in accuracy of the different loads, If any.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
i want to work up an xtp load for my carbine for shtf hunting and such. let me know group sixe, and what powder you are using.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All righty....Well the results are in and it was about what I was expecting from listening to SW. The only powder I have been using is Clays and it has worked great in my JF 9mm, but it is an extremely fast burning powder. SW recommended that I shouldn't use it for the carbine loads, but I had to try.

First off, I have my TS sighted in using 115 GR FMJ rounds at 100 yds, can hold a three-4 inch group. I was loading 124 GR Hornady XTP with a OAL of 1.14"

The first set of loads were on the low side of the powder charge, and they didn't even hit the paper.....not good.

The second set of loads about at the middle of maximum load, hit the paper on the bottom and were all over the place. BAD

The third set of loads were about three quarters maximum load, and they were still low on the paper but held a little better together, about 8-9 inch group.

The last set of loads were at the maximum load according to Hodgdon for that powder and it really was not much different than the load before. At that load the case was more than three quarters full with powder and so I don't think that I could put more powder in without compressing it when seating the bullet, and that is not something that I really want to try when I can just go buy a powder better suited to what I am trying to do. I noticed that the recoil and the sound of the shot did not sound as powerful as the Blazer FMJ I am used to shooting and so I think that because of the faster burning powder, it is all burning up in the first few inches of the carbine and the bullet just slows down with nothing continuing to push it out. I would like to have a little faster load and so I am going to get some of the same bullets but the 115GR ones this time. I will probably be getting some other powder, maybe Blue Dot and try the new loads with that. But I might have to just try a few of the lighter bullets with the clays :devilsidesmile:

So all in all, the loads were great in the pistol, I really liked them, but for the Carbine.......I am going to have to try something else.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
That is almost a carbon copy of my results with the powders HP-38 & W-231 I used for my 1st reloads for the TS. They worked great in the C9 but the carbine didn'tlike them. Went on the high side of the powder load and a bit longer on the OAL but accuracy was not there. SW also put me on the right path with Blue Dot to slow down the burn and the accuracy returned.

Guess until someone else that reloads for the 9mm carbine comes along with better results we'll have to consider ole' SW the "995 loading expert" :yes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts