Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In New Mexico, a CCW permit is only good for 4 years, and you are required to requalify with your carry firearm every 2 years. I am not due to requalify until March, but since I am moving at the first of the month, my instructor has allowed me to requalify early. WHEW! Thank God for that! If you don't requalify on your permit, they suspend your license and you're no longer allowed to carry.

Wish me luck boys. I haven't fired any of my pistols since I got home from deployment, so this is gonna be a true refresher course.

I really don't know why this matters so much to me, as when I get to Alaska, I can CC without a permit.... Oh well. I might as well do it, and use it as an excuse to go to the range. :D

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I qualified..... 50 out of 50, or 100% of all shots on target!! WOOT!

The one thing that really pissed me off was buying a box of factory ammo to qualify with. I had to bring 150 rounds to shoot, 100 to "practice" with and 50 to qualify with. I had 100 rounds of Blazer brass, but I had to buy a 50 round box of American Eagle at the "Nazi" gun store, as they were the only ones in town that had any.... FOR $29.98 A BOX!!!!!! :cantlook:

WTF is up with ammo prices?! I had to just smile and take it up the Hershey Highway, as I HAD to have it. Damn it, that really got me angry. Back to reloads for me.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Gee Your moving the first of the month. Are you gonna live in Alaska permanently or is this a transfer? If it's a transfer the permit will be good and keep you legal a while as you aren't an Alaska resident [yet]

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New Mexico and Alaska have reciprocity, so my permit is perfectly good in Alaska until such a time as I can get an Alaskan permit. In the metropolitan area of Anchorage, you have to have a permit to CC in a place of business, but out on the street, you can CC in the entire state without a permit of any kind. It's kinda weird, but that's how the law is written. I think it's an Anchorage city ordanance though, but I might be mistaken.

Anywho, this is, right now, just a Military Permanent Change of Station. I will be in Anchorage for at least 4 years until I get another PCS to take me somewhere else. Due to the fact that I have military orders to relocate to Alaska, technically, according to military law, I am already an Alaskan resident even before I have stepped foot in the state. Again, it's just the fact of getting there and getting the Alaska permit. I just wanted to be sure that I had met the requirements of my NM permit so I could carry anywhere I want to once I get there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.