Going through St. Louis

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Dec 1, 2014.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Come Christmas, I'll be taking the family out to stay with my wife's mother for a few days. Just the holiday and one or two on each side. She lives on the MO side, in 'burbs, comparatively far away from the trouble. But I still have to go through the city and, though staying on the highway, through some of the less savory areas.

The question isn't "will I be packing?" The question is, "what will I decide to pack and how many?" :( One primary. A backup which can be handed to the wife. Maybe another backup which if required can be handed to my 13yo son.

I'm also looking at the viability of alternate drive routes.

<sigh>

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Kirk if you can stay on the interstate, shouldn't be any problem.... MO also lets you have loaded concealed firearms in your vehicle, so I wouldn't feel shy about extras. They can be brought into your in laws house once you're there I assume?...... Really cool museum under the arch.

3. Grant

Grant Member

If you want to avoid the downtown/east STL area, take the I255 south to I270 on the MO side. This will connect you back in to the west of the airport. That keeps you in areas that are pretty safe.

BTW the trouble is in a pretty small area.

Have a great trip.

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Nervous much? Unless they've resorted to blocking the highway with burned out vehicles, just don't stop. Carry whatever you're normally comfy with.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I can even travel with them through IL now, as long as they stay in the vehicle while within that state.

Yeah. MIL and her husband are a firearms friendly couple.

Been to it. It's neat. They even have a few firearms. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

We frequently use 270.

I'm not expecting trouble or I'd cancel the trip.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Nope. Just a bit more cautious.

While it hasn't apparently happened in this case, there have been other cases in which vehicles have been run off the road and then assaulted.

Just because no one has thought of it yet doesn't mean they won't.

In any case, I'm not all that worried, just a bit extra cautious. It pays to be aware of where hot spots are and avoid them if possible or prepare.

I often carry tricked CZ52 on this trip and frequently my P32 as a backup or to hand to my wife. At 13, my son is old enough to start participating in Family Preparedness plans. He can shoot and has proven that he can handle a potential confrontation without folding.

I'm just yacking I guess. :) If I was expecting there to be problems, we just wouldn't go.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. Bull

Ain't nothing wrong with talking it out..... Now iirc, there was a cop shot at several weeks/months ago on the freeway, but don't recall hearing anything since then.

9. cicpup

Vermont
    Bikers and such. This is more the pedestrian crowd. Hence why they hit the shoe store first.

Well throw in something the kid's good with and you're all set.

10. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Best thing to do when driving through the questionable area on the highway is to have you and your family leans the seat backs - way back - and slink way down in their seats so that everyone in the vehicle is seated in the same position that the natives are in when riding. It also helps to have a car with over-sized, expensive shiny wheels and darkened windows.:D

[When in Rome, do as the Romans do].

Anyone remember in the Beverly Hillbillies movie when the African-Americans hoods riding in a convertible car threatened Jed and Jetro with a large pistol? Jetro innocently exclaimed, “Nice piece! This here is what I carry.” (showing them his 12 Gauge shotgun). The African-American hoods then accelerate to get away.:)

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I'd just fly right thru, or take the suggested bypass (270)

How close to Ferguson were we, Mr. Bull? As I recall, we went north to meet, and I think it was off of 270? :confused: Easy to do, I just forgot cuz it took like no effort to get there...

12. Bull

Not too far! ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1417451914.103342.jpg

13. cicpup

Vermont
    Dude! I would definitely avoid anything with "Cracker" in it's name.And within walking distance to boot.

14. Bull

Well us crackas gotta eat somewhere..... Honkyshack, and the White Devil deli weren't open yet...

15. cicpup

Vermont
    Couldn't find a White Castle? At least you'll have a moat.

16. Bull

In our defense, it was early!...... And shame on me for forgetting White Castle......

17. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    you guys are nuts LOL

18. cicpup

Vermont
    Breakfast time? Oh you were as safe as if you had armed support. Was the food good?

19. Bull

Country breakfast good!......

20. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I was thinking along the lines of wrapping the car with some self-stick camo kinda like those Duck-Boys over in LA (that's lousiana, guys) and maybe some window decals of some shooting clubs, like Front Sight..... :p