Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
What a total crock of ****. I talk about guns at work all the time, does that give probable cause for Security Forces to search my home?

*NOTE* DO NOT MAKE THIS POLITICAL!!! I won't say it again.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I agree me and a buddy constantly talk firearms and shooting, if they tried to say that was reason for a home search I'd be showing them first hand what I talk about. :mad:

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm in full agreement with you guys. Anti-gun folks seem to have a REAL bad knee jerk reaction the very second anybody even hints at the idea that guns may actually serve a usefull purpose in society. They can't bare the thought that such "evil" things could possibly be helpful to anybody.

Though I also agree with the last guy in that article in stating that more would need to be learned about this specific situation in order to determine if the prof in question really did cross the line. But on the face of it, it sure looks like they did.

The thing that really got me PO'd was the case of the student getting suspended because they advocated concealed carry on school grounds, and having to go through a psychological exam just to be let back in. I would have sued the crap out of that school for such a gross overreaction.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I WORK at a university, and talk about firearms quite frequently with my co workers and ALOT of the musicians that come by.  My supervisor is quite aware that I'm an enthusiast and finds it interesting.  Heck, got into a GREAT debate over the effectiveness of the Makarov round after discussing the build quality of Russian amplifiers and Tubes with the sound engineer who came by to load in for today's show!

And, it seems for some odd reason I'm held in high regard in such a "letigious and paranoid" environment (as other FOX "news" has put it) Then again, consider the source: Fox news has NOT been a friend the the Universities and has a VERY political slant on everything related to the education community.  I do not trust their "media" one bit. Something tells me that they DUG long and hard for this "example", and blew what seems to be a unique and odd case into a HUGE controversy when it was ONE school that did this. The article easily makes it look like EVERY university thinks this way.

If they did, I would be out of a job right now. So obviously they don't.

More fear mongering and turning one side against the other for sheer ratings.  For those who insist college only "forces you to think in one way", perhaps those folks need to take a hard look at their drive and reasons for going for a higher level of education.  I found myself being challenged in my thinking during my school years, but not ONCE "forced" to think a certain way. 

·
Registered
831 Posts
I WORK at a university, and talk about firearms quite frequently with my co workers and ALOT of the musicians that come by. My supervisor is quite aware that I'm an enthusiast and finds it interesting. Heck, got into a GREAT debate over the effectiveness of the Makarov round after discussing the build quality of Russian amplifiers and Tubes with the sound engineer who came by to load in for today's show!

And, it seems for some odd reason I'm held in high regard in such a "letigious and paranoid" environment (as other FOX "news" has put it) Then again, consider the source: Fox news has NOT been a friend the the Universities and has a VERY political slant on everything related to the education community. I do not trust their "media" one bit. Something tells me that they DUG long and hard for this "example", and blew what seems to be a unique and odd case into a HUGE controversy when it was ONE school that did this. The article easily makes it look like EVERY university thinks this way.

More fear mongering and turning one side against the other for sheer ratings. For those who insist college only "forces you to think in one way", perhaps those folks need to take a hard look at their drive and reasons for going for a higher level of education. I found myself being challenged in my thinking during my school years, but not ONCE "forced" to think a certain way.
I do agree with what you have to say here Neo, and I doubt that this is any sort of epidemic, and people need to be careful of thinking of it as such. But I do still find even individual cases of this sort of intolerance to be upsetting to say the very least.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I WORK at a university, and talk about firearms quite frequently with my co workers and ALOT of the musicians that come by. My supervisor is quite aware that I'm an enthusiast and finds it interesting. Heck, got into a GREAT debate over the effectiveness of the Makarov round after discussing the build quality of Russian amplifiers and Tubes with the sound engineer who came by to load in for today's show!

And, it seems for some odd reason I'm held in high regard in such a "letigious and paranoid" environment (as other FOX "news" has put it) Then again, consider the source: Fox news has NOT been a friend the the Universities and has a VERY political slant on everything related to the education community. I do not trust their "media" one bit. Something tells me that they DUG long and hard for this "example", and blew what seems to be a unique and odd case into a HUGE controversy when it was ONE school that did this. The article easily makes it look like EVERY university thinks this way.

More fear mongering and turning one side against the other for sheer ratings. For those who insist college only "forces you to think in one way", perhaps those folks need to take a hard look at their drive and reasons for going for a higher level of education. I found myself being challenged in my thinking during my school years, but not ONCE "forced" to think a certain way.
I do agree with what you have to say here Neo, and I doubt that this is any sort of epidemic, and people need to be careful of thinking of it as such. But I do still find even individual cases of this sort of intolerance to be upsetting to say the very least.
Perhaps I should clarify myself: I agree that ANY case of this is unacceptable, and you are correct. I just disagree with the type of "journalism" that it's being portrayed in. It's very misleading.

G

·
That there in itself is a scared woman crying "Wolf". And the way she did it: got that guy on record.
I hold her in disdain: despite her "Good intentions"

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep, go figure. That nasty Fox news, picking up on something that only ever happened once. And a place of higher learning where all free thought and ideas are accepted with open arms. For as much bashing done about the US system of education and results, having a news organization call them out, over and over....... why that's just unAmerican.

"Something tells me that they DUG long and hard for this "example", and blew what seems to be a unique and odd case into a HUGE controversy when it was ONE school that did this. The article easily makes it look like EVERY university thinks this way."

And Fox news is biased? One only needs to spend a few minutes with Google to see where this isn't the only case. What makes this one unique I thought was someone going to the police and the police reacting like they did.

·
Registered
831 Posts
yep, go figure. That nasty Fox news, picking up on something that only ever happened once. And a place of higher learning where all free thought and ideas are accepted with open arms. For as much bashing done about the US system of education and results, having a news organization call them out, over and over....... why that's just unAmerican.

"Something tells me that they DUG long and hard for this "example", and blew what seems to be a unique and odd case into a HUGE controversy when it was ONE school that did this. The article easily makes it look like EVERY university thinks this way."

And Fox news is biased? One only needs to spend a few minutes with Google to see where this isn't the only case. What makes this one unique I thought was someone going to the police and the police reacting like they did.
It's not a matter of anybody "picking" on anybody. It's the style of the reporting that is being called into question. It's one thing to point out isolated incidents (and trust me that I agree they DO need to be pointed out), it's another to attempt the implication that there is a wide spread epidemic type problem, something Fox "News", and the media in general, is great at doing. We complain about it every time they attack an issue we care about. We should give the same consideration when it's going in the other direction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.