Going to convert to 9mm

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by agisoec, Jan 23, 2015.

1. I'm want to convert my cf380 acp to 9mm.

Anyone have the barrel and/or slide.

If not, got any suggestion where to look.

Thanks,

2. 80 Dollars to convert it, and then the hassle of switching back and forth. Just my opinion, but sell it and buy a C9, or just get the C9 and keep the CF380. I think a new C9 goes for around 160 dollars.

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

......and a used one for around $100....

4. So guy's I remember there used to be a thread about it being dangerous to make your .380 a 9mm because of head space?

But if you use a 9 barrell and slide wouldn't the head space be taken care of with the 9mm chamber being part of the barrell?

5. The frame is the same, and IIRC the slide is the same except for markings. The difference is the barrel is reamed for 380 instead of 9mm, and a stronger recoil spring due to the extreme difference in pressure.

But with the price of new and used Hi Points I just would not do it myself.

6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Barrel & recoil spring is all you need. Problem comes when someone converts from .380 to 9mm and then either forgets or doesn't tell someone using it and it gets loaded with .380.

7. SWAGA

.....and that's why you switch the slide too......

8. cicpup

Vermont
    True, but, you can find a barrel & spring pretty cheap. Once you add in a slide it's no longer cost effective and might as well buy a C-9. Only legal reason I can see to do it (beyond the novelty of it) is if someone is only allowed to own one handgun yet wants variety. Unfortunately repeatedly swapping barrels will eventually wear out the pin holes and trash the frame.

9. SWAGA

10. Are you saying that the slide on the .380 does NOT need to be changed? Only the barrel and recoil spring??
    Has anyone tried changing just these two?

11. We seem to do a lot of things to for novelty around here. Mr. Folding stock :p

The pins would be a problem to constantly switch a down fall of the fixed barrell. I would he Curious to swap mine. Grind the .380acp off the slide just to spare the ffl fee.

12. The slide is the same except for the markings. Which is what will get you in trouble. Give the gun to someone else or let them borrow it and they put .380 in a 9mm. The bullet will not be fully locked into place in the chamber

13. cicpup

Vermont
    Novelty, cool factor or legal untaxed SBR? Who's to say why I did it?

14. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

No need to complicate the simple. Buy a C9 for a little more than the cost of the parts and be done with it.