Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to look at a Mosin tomorrow. The guys knows very little about the gun but he was able to tell me its a M44. He bought the gun the way it is and the previous owner cut off the bayonet lug and mounted the bi-pod. It has a muzzle brake and from the looks of it the ATI scope mount and bolt handle. He said the scope is Simpson. Does this all look about right from the picture. Also is there any thing else you notice from the picture that is of interest. Any info you could give me would be great! BTW the asking price is $130.

My plan is to use this as a hunting rifle and longer range gun than my pistols. So while I appreciate the historical value the modifications to the gun aren't a big deal to me as long as they don't hinder the function and accuracy of the gun.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While I normally like 'em unmodified, this looks like a very decent price for a hunting rifle. In fact, I'd like to find one like this, so that I could have a great hunting rifle without having to blame myself for boogering it up :D
Thats kinda what I was thinking too. I like reading about the history of these guns an I know I would get lots of :cantlook: :cantlook: :cantlook: around here if I posted pics of a sporterized Mosin but that is kind of my plan. Its already banged up so I might as well make it sporterized well rather than bubba'ed. I can always go buy another Mosin if I want originality!

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
you will never achieve good accuracy with that particular gun. the M44's were notoriously bad in the accuracy department even when they were new. They were only decent when fired with the bayonet extended. The bayonet altered the harmonics of the barrel significantly and since yours has been removed the you will constantly find a wandering pattern when shooting this gun, scope or not. The carbine Mosin Nagants were never intended to be pinpoint accurate guns and the Russians were fine with that and just decided to win with sheer numbers over superior accuracy. Just because somebody attaches a scope and bent bolt, doesn't mean that the gun is accurate. These were finicky shooters on their best days and people sporterizing them only usually makes them much much worse.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Krippp what kind of inaccuracy are we talking here? 6 inches at 100 yards? more or less?

Also he still has the bayonet. How are they attached and is it possible to reinstall it? I am a pretty good fabricator if that would help.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I've Heard from Krippp and several other people about the innaccuracy of the m44. I happened to luck out with mine as it will hold an extremely tight group at 100yds. about 3/4". With that being said, I have shot m44's that will not hit the same side of a barn at 100yds.

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
Krippp what kind of inaccuracy are we talking here? 6 inches at 100 yards? more or less?

Also he still has the bayonet. How are they attached and is it possible to reinstall it? I am a pretty good fabricator if that would help.
most are off as much as a foot either way, some even more. Rarely do you run across one that is accurate at 100yds. I have done many shoots at 100, 200 and even a few at 300yds to test most of my guns. The only thing more inaccurate than the M44's with a folded bayonet at 100 were my Steyrs.

The bayonet lugs were silver soldered onto the barrels and the bayonet attached to the lug via a pivot screw. But even if that is replaced, the bipod and muzzle brake will still alter the harmonics of this gun. If it is a more accurate Mosin that you want the pick up one of the millions of cheaper M91/30's with the longer barrel. If you are shooting under 100yds only then you won't need the scope or anything else. Just shoot it. These weren't, and never will be MOA guns(M44, M38 and M91/59's that is)

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Check the barrel, if its worn it will have accuracy issues. In good shape they not a problem but otherwise its a mess. At least its not expensive.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I bought it. $120 with 30 rounds of ammo. I shot 3 rounds before I bought it and another 20 or so when I got home. The scope is a mile off since one of the mounts is not put together correctly. I took the bipod off before I even shot it and the muzzle brake screws broke after the 2nd shot so all that junk is gone already! The owner who did all the "mods" cut the bayonet lug off but not flush with the barrell. What are the chances I can fabricate up the remains of the lug and weld it one again. Then put the bayonet back on (its still with the gun)?

I am in process of cleaning it now and I then I am going to research the markings. Then I will post up pics and what I think it all means and you fellas can grade my paper!

BTW after firing off the ammo today with 10 rounds remaining I found it is steel core! I would have like to keep all that around for a really rainy day when I need to shoot through something! Oh well. I am gonna order a spam can of ammo in the next couple days. I am thinking from sportsman guide. If any of you have a favorite place for ammo let me know!
Tim
The HOPEFUL Proud new owner of a Mosin Nagant M44

Edit: It looks like its a 1944 M44 Izhevsk. I will post pictures of the markings later. The serial numbers all seem to match too. The reciever, bolt, butt plate and Floor plate all match. Are there any more # locations?

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Unless thatsteel case ammo was name brand, I would thoroughly scrub every inch of that bore, bolt, action ramps with warm WATER and a mild soap. if that ammo is milsurp I would consider it corrosive.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unless thatsteel case ammo was name brand, I would thoroughly scrub every inch of that bore, bolt, action ramps with warm WATER and a mild soap. if that ammo is milsurp I would consider it corrosive.
I cleaned it well with Hoppe #9 then oiled. Is that sufficient? I plan to treat any of this ammo as corrosive unless I buy it and states it is not.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
It has to be water to clean the bore and action if it is milsurp ammo. the primers of that ammo contain mercuric salt which is only soluble by water and is highly corrosive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not to hi jack the thread BUT a m44, m38 and m91/59 would not be good accurate deer rifles to 200yds.? I am looking for a inexpensive extra rifle for deer hunting when a son or friend comes along.

·
Banned
2,493 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Yes they are fine if the barrel is in good shape and the head space is good, visit some of the Mosin sites for info on checking them. Im not sure how this thing about Mosins not being accurate got started. Only the greatest snipers in history used them although one was a Finn. Get a good one and dont pay more than 120.00 for it unless its Finnish and you may find a good one for a lot less but its not a lot of money to haggle over. Theres good quality Boxer primed brass commercial hunting ammo made in the US every where now since so many people are using them.

Have fun with the Mosin.

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
The best snipers were NOT the Russians. They simply had a higher number of kills due to the fact that the Russian army deployed them in situations where they had the advantage of heavy concealment and ease of escape, and the majority of their shots were never over 100 meters. Nobody is saying that the longer barreled M91/30's aren't accurate, I am plainly saying what is a well known fact, that the carbine length Mosin Nagants, the M38, M44 and the M91/59, are never going to rival the accuracy put forth by their longer barreled brethren. The Op started this thread with questions about the M44, and I gave him an accurate assessment of what he can expect. So far he is finding out for himself. BTW, Russian snipers from WW2 only were issued certain Mosin M91/30's and SVT's that were hand selected and fitted especially for the sniper corp. once these guns had their accuracy suffer, they were pulled from the sniper corps and given to front line infantry. And as far as accurate snipers went, the British and German snipers were much more renowned for their accuracy.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Point taken on your point that you strictly referred to the M44.

"Best" is a subjective term so lets just leave it as highly outstanding snipers then and not argue. Accurate is also subjective, any rifle shooting 3MOA can hunt just fine on medium sized game at most target distances so the M44 should do just fine if the barrel is good. People use scopes for more than just long distance shooting, target ID is the best reason when hunting besides Mosin irons could stand the upgrade.

Biggest problem with a lot of M44 owners is they don't select the right ammo for the rifle and get those huge flames from unburnt powder and bullets that didn't stabilize in the shorter barrel. He wont be hunting with mil-surplus most likely so finding a commercial hunting round that works well wont be a problem. All I saw him find out is his scope isn't mounted correctly, he seemed happy with the groups or else it would have come up.

Have fun OP.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It has to be water to clean the bore and action if it is milsurp ammo. the primers of that ammo contain mercuric salt which is only soluble by water and is highly corrosive.
Gotcha! I will clean it with soap and water again today. Then re-oil.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.